2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tires without knots? Runflats?

10-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

Tires without knots? Runflats?

I am wondering if anyone has found tires that won't develop knots? I have a 2011 535I X Drive with M package. I have had 4 different brands of quality name brand tires and all I get is flats or knots.
My car had Runflats on it when I bought it with 13,000 miles. When I bought it in Chicago I noticed on the way home (325 miles), the ride wasn't as smooth as I would have thought. I later found out that all 4 wheels were bent.
I went for about 40 years and never had a flat tire until I purchased the BMW with Runflats 4 years ago. Since then I have replaced 13 tires and 12 wheels. I soon found a 5 forum that someone has put Style 166 M5 wheels on their 535i. I bought some and installed a staggered tire setup, 245/40-19 and 275/25-19 and new Michelin Runflats. It wasn't too long that I began getting low tire pressure warnings. I found the wheels were bent. When I bought the wheels they had been reconditioned and were straight. I bought a second set of M5 wheels and installed them. Before long I started getting the low tire pressure warning. By then I was also on my 2nd go around of tires. They were BG Goodrich Drivegards. I had also installed a set of Goodyear tires somewhere in that time frame. I Went back with the original style 351M wheels for the 535 and installed new Pirelli Centauro P7 runflats.
Now I have very large knots on all 4 tires and it is unsafe to drive. I do my best to avoid potholes. I am currently looking for the 437M wheels that are supposed to be forged in hopes they won't bend so easily. I plan to try the Continental tires this time in NON-RUNFLAT.
My question is: Has anyone found a tire that will hold up? I contribute all this trouble to the runflat tires. 13 tires and 12 wheels in 4 years. What the Hell?

Ed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Knots? As in, bubbling?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Run flat tires will create a bubble if you hit a big pothole. I run Michelin 4S on my M5 wheels and Michelin Sport All Season 4 on my stock M Sport wheels. They run more smooth and quiet than run flat. So far, I only have one bubble from hitting a pothole at 80mph on the hwy. Run flat tires are so stiff so they do crack your wheels more easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Knots? As in, bubbling?
No, I am talking KNOTS the diameter of a baseball and protruding out 1/4' - 5/16". I have two on my left front wheel, one on my right front and al least two small ones on the LR and one on the RR. Even though the car has Runflats I feel it unsafe to drive. Hoping to find wheels soon. I won't be putting Runflats on it this time, I am going to get a flat tire kit. Been hearing a lot about them lately. I read on another forum that some manufacturers were going back to NON-Runflats and putting flat tire kits in the trunk.

I purchased the last set of tires from Tire Rack. I called them yesterday and they said even tho the tires road hazard warranty had expired that they would give me a 15% discount on a new set of my choice. Guess I will take them up on it.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
First thing I did is get rid of the runflats... Have had 2 sets of Michelin 4S and couldn't be happier..thing is.. if you hit a pothole.. or rid over a nail... just can't help it that the tire is either gonna bubble or go flat
      10-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurst01 View Post
No, I am talking KNOTS the diameter of a baseball and protruding out 1/4' - 5/16".
We call that bubble/bubbling. Very common on run flat tires after hitting a pothole hard. You can get it on regular tires too but a lot more rare.
Appreciate 0