2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 35 dollar air scoop for you 5 series

01-06-2022, 02:17 AM   #1
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
I've tried all different configurations for air intakes:

- drop-in filters
- open-air filters
- a custom behind the grille system

All with no noticeable effects besides sound. The best sounding one was the custom behind the grill with a shorter tract to the turbo inlet. That one sounded bonkers, but again no substantial increase in performance. The best upgrade I've experienced was on my N54 335 using the stock airbox and two scoops behind the grille. The difference was felt up top.

So, after all the experiments, I went back to stock with a drop-in filter. I wanted to get a scoop for the stock entry point behind the grille but didn't want to pay 300-40 bucks for AFE or whatever. I noticed the F30, N20 motors have the same entry point but on the opposite side and found that scoops were substantially cheaper, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I flipped it upside down and trimmed it a little bit and it seems to fit well. I've driven it around but haven't got a chance to really get on the throttle so I'm not sure of the improvements if any at all. My N55 doesn't respond to mods as well as my N54 did.

Things you'll need
- F30 scoop for an N20
- Self tapping screws
- A straight pick tool used as a punch to start the hole for the screw. ( wear gloves or suffer getting your hand cheese grated from the radiator)
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVT-Air-Int...-127632-2357-0

To be fair I had removed my rock deflectors on my left side where I had my custom ram air intake so it was easier to install this scoop.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
That is a similar concept to what they have on e90's. Very well done. However, check out my post. We are just about done proving ram CAI from behind the grill will actually improve turbo performance as you increase speed. I am working with DS on this and he said he has never seen a turbo spool up this easily before.

The plan is to start to manufacture and sell this intake but I want data and proof first.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

I like it doubles!! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on it once you give it the beans a few times
      01-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
That is a similar concept to what they have on e90's. Very well done. However, check out my post. We are just about done proving ram CAI from behind the grill will actually improve turbo performance as you increase speed. I am working with DS on this and he said he has never seen a turbo spool up this easily before.

The plan is to start to manufacture and sell this intake but I want data and proof first.
David Shoup and I couldn't figure out the leak problems I had and the upfront air ram was complicating the debugging. If you and D Shoup can figure it out in the tune I'll go back, but this time probably with the MST https://www.mst-performance.com/products/bw-53501

Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdoubles_ View Post
Quote:

David Shoup and I couldn't figure out the leak problems I had and the upfront air ram was complicating the debugging. If you and D Shoup can figure it out in the tune I'll go back, but this time probably with the MST https://www.mst-performance.com/products/bw-53501
The MST intake shouldn't cause any issues since it is sucking air. The issue with behind the grill intakes are that as speed increases, load req from the turbine needs to drop to prevent overboost, which is a good thing! I bet I can hit 30 lbs of boost in 4th through 6th gear if I can get enough fuel!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:

I presume you'd have to tune that via street driving logs? Most dynos I know of use constant speed airflow, so the ram air isn't going to scale with airspeed on the dyno
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:

I presume you'd have to tune that via street driving logs? Most dynos I know of use constant speed airflow, so the ram air isn't going to scale with airspeed on the dyno
Exactly. Street logs.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
tringuyen7757
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [7.20]
Quote:

- drop-in filters
- open-air filters

All with no noticeable effects besides sound. The best sounding one was the custom behind the grill with a shorter tract to the turbo inlet. That one sounded bonkers, but again no substantial increase in performance. The best upgrade I've experienced was on my N54 335 using the stock airbox and two scoops behind the grille. The difference was felt up top.

So, after all the experiments, I went back to stock with a drop-in filter. I wanted to get a scoop for the stock entry point behind the grille but didn't want to pay 300-40 bucks for AFE or whatever. I noticed the F30, N20 motors have the same entry point but on the opposite side and found that scoops were substantially cheaper, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I flipped it upside down and trimmed it a little bit and it seems to fit well. I've driven it around but haven't got a chance to really get on the throttle so I'm not sure of the improvements if any at all. My N55 doesn't respond to mods as well as my N54 did.

Things you'll need
- F30 scoop for an N20
- Self tapping screws
- A straight pick tool used as a punch to start the hole for the screw. ( wear gloves or suffer getting your hand cheese grated from the radiator)

To be fair I had removed my rock deflectors on my left side where I had my custom ram air intake so it was easier to install this scoop.
glad to see someone else using the same scoop. had mine for almost a year now and its a great pairing with my afe intake [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

01-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tringuyen7757 View Post
Quote:

- drop-in filters
- open-air filters

Things you'll need
- F30 scoop for an N20
- Self tapping screws

glad to see someone else using the same scoop. had mine for almost a year now and its a great pairing with my afe intake [IMG][/IMG]
Nice, looking good.

Yeah it makes a little difference up top at freeway speeds.

If BrowBMW and Shoup get the tune right for an upfront air ram I'll keep the right side scoop, and add another scoop to blow air on to the left air ram. 2 scoops of raisins.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #10
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Thanks for sharing. I like bang for your bucks mods. Something I'll add to my custom intake box
Appreciate 1