2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Two issues within my instrument cluster

01-27-2022, 12:23 AM   #1
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011BMW 550i xDrive M Sport

Two issues within my instrument cluster

Hey all,

2011 BMW 550i xDrive M Sport. I have two issues that the dealership wants to charge me $200 apiece to diagnose. The Indy shops aren’t much better, and everyone is like 4-weeks out with the pandemic.

Issue one:

Nighttime amber lights in the instrument cluster started to flicker for a couple of weeks on the speedometer section between 90 mph - 160 mph. Now the flicker has gone away, and that section is dimmer than all other areas. However, the daytime white LED light illuminates perfectly. I assume that maybe a bulb went out near that area. Has anyone dealt with this before, can confirm my assumption, or provide feedback? If it is a bulb, any direction on replacing it/them myself, or too risky/difficult? Attached are two photos - one with the brightness dial at full and the other all the way down. I know it’s hard to tell the difference in the pictures, but I promise it’s noticeable in real-time.

Issue two:

The oil temperature gauge stopped working. The needle is on 140. As you can see in the photo, the oil is heating up and registering an acceptable temperature. Could this also possibly be an easy DIY fix? Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Both issues thankfully seem to be more of an annoyance than anything. Other than this, the car has been great and hoping it stays that way. I have a good aftermarket warranty that, hopefully, I will never have to use.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I performed the instrument cluster test within the “secret” menu and everything passed. There are no codes associated to these issues either.

Appreciate all feedback.
Attached Images

Last edited by BJJJOURNEY; 01-27-2022 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:55 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It looks like your instrument cluster is defective. I think the backlight is a bunch of small LED on the circuit board. A used cluster is not expensive to get but you do have to get it virginized before you can install it
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:09 AM   #3
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your thoughts. I kind of thought the same, but I performed the instrument cluster test within the “secret” menu and everything passed. There are no codes associated to these issues either.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep

UPDATE 1/27/22 - went to the stealership today to get my coolant topped off and asked them about both issues. One guy said it’s probably just a bulb and relatively quick job, and the oil temp could just be the sensor. He had me talk to the service advisor gal, who said that it’s not a bulb and that the instrument cluster is going out, who then sent me to parts to check stock, etc. Pretty annoyed and walked out. I guess if the IC is going out, I’ll wait until it’s entirely out, as this is more of an annoyance than anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #5
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

yea it all points to a faulty cluster. The DME is clearly seeing oil temp, but the needle isn't moving. And the amber not switching is a burnt LED thing- which unless you know exactly what LED it is and you can take it apart to solder the old one off and new one on... I'd say to just replace the cluster.

6WAs are relatively cheap. If you feel like upgrading to the all digital 6WB, you can contact Grant Johnson (GJohnson7). Just know that any cluster you get that isn't brand new will need to be virginized first, then coded with your VIN. Check out Grant's video explaining this
      01-28-2022, 06:29 AM   #6
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
yea it all points to a faulty cluster. The DME is clearly seeing oil temp, but the needle isn't moving. And the amber not switching is a burnt LED thing- which unless you know exactly what LED it is and you can take it apart to solder the old one off and new one on... I'd say to just replace the cluster.

6WAs are relatively cheap. If you feel like upgrading to the all digital 6WB, you can contact Grant Johnson (GJohnson7). Just know that any cluster you get that isn't brand new will need to be virginized first, then coded with your VIN. Check out Grant's video explaining this
Thanks! Will def check this out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJJOURNEY View Post
Hey all,

2011 BMW 550i xDrive M Sport. I have two issues that the dealership wants to charge me $200 apiece to diagnose. The Indy shops aren't much better, and everyone is like 4-weeks out with the pandemic.

Issue one:

Nighttime amber lights in the instrument cluster started to flicker for a couple of weeks on the speedometer section between 90 mph - 160 mph. Now the flicker has gone away, and that section is dimmer than all other areas. However, the daytime white LED light illuminates perfectly. I assume that maybe a bulb went out near that area. Has anyone dealt with this before, can confirm my assumption, or provide feedback? If it is a bulb, any direction on replacing it/them myself, or too risky/difficult? Attached are two photos - one with the brightness dial at full and the other all the way down. I know it's hard to tell the difference in the pictures, but I promise it's noticeable in real-time.

Issue two:

The oil temperature gauge stopped working. The needle is on 140. As you can see in the photo, the oil is heating up and registering an acceptable temperature. Could this also possibly be an easy DIY fix? Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Both issues thankfully seem to be more of an annoyance than anything. Other than this, the car has been great and hoping it stays that way. I have a good aftermarket warranty that, hopefully, I will never have to use.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I performed the instrument cluster test within the "secret" menu and everything passed. There are no codes associated to these issues either.

Appreciate all feedback.
I have the cluster light issue in dark mode. Sometimes dimmer, sometimes normal, I just ignore it now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Dealer would probably quote for a brand new replacement at a cost close to value of the car. I would put in a used cluster if it really bothers you. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the headache.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #9
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
I have the cluster light issue in dark mode. Sometimes dimmer, sometimes normal, I just ignore it now.
Yep, exactly what I’m doing lol
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #10
BJJJOURNEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealer would probably quote for a brand new replacement at a cost close to value of the car. I would put in a used cluster if it really bothers you. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the headache.
Yeah, I’m just going to wait and see. I have an aftermarket warranty that covers the the instrument cluster, so maybe when I get the patience, I’ll deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJJOURNEY View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I'm just going to wait and see. I have an aftermarket warranty that covers the the instrument cluster, so maybe when I get the patience, I'll deal with it.
Nice. What warranty? Make sure the dealer or whoever tells the warranty that the LED is non repairable and requires full replacement.
Appreciate 0