2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications A/c compressor not working

05-09-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
KPires
Rep
Drives: F10 n63 550

A/c compressor not working

Need some help.

Vents are only blowing warm air as the ac compressor is not engaging on my 2011 550.

I've hooked up a gauge to low pressure line and it's at 60psi so it has pressure.

My next step to avoid the worst is replace the pressure sensor.

Any other ideas?

Does the ac compressor have a relay, I can't seem to locate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you scan with a BMW dedicated software, it will tell you why it won't engage. There is a high chance you are low on refrigerant. There is a leak somewhere. Best to find out is to add dye, add refrigerant and see where it leaks from. Most common place is the condenser.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
KPires
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
If you scan with a BMW dedicated software, it will tell you why it won't engage. There is a high chance you are low on refrigerant. There is a leak somewhere. Best to find out is to add dye, add refrigerant and see where it leaks from. Most common place is the condenser.
I checked the pressure and it was at 60psi?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:21 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPires View Post
Quote:
Is 60psi for low or high side? If low side, it's too high. If for high, it's too low. Low side pressure is between 30-40 psi and your high side pressure is between 150-175 psi. This varies depending on ambient temperature and humidity
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:23 PM   #5
KPires
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is 60psi for low or high side? If low side, it's too high. If for high, it's too low. Low side pressure is between 30-40 psi and your high side pressure is between 150-175 psi. This varies depending on ambient temperature and humidity
It's was for the low side which is too high… could that cause compressor to stop you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's was for the low side which is too high… could that cause compressor to stop you think?
I am not aware if it have a sensor to do that. I know it only have a sensor to detect low psi and would not engage the compressor to protect it.

I strongly recommend getting it scanned with a BMW software like ISTA or BimmerLink to see what the issue is. We are guessing in the dark. Also check the high side.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Not arguing with you that they should scan codes etc... but if the compressor won't run, then high and low will equalize. Your quoted nominal pressures are for a system with the compressor running.

I believe what they're trying to communicate is that the system at rest has 60psi so all the refrigerant is not gone. A few years ago I had a leaking condenser replaced under warranty. By weight I had almost no refrigerant left and my compressor still ran, the system just didn't perform very well. I would think that 60psi system off would still allow it to attempt to start.

OP - scan some codes as a starting point. Use ISTA or something else BMW specific, a generic OBD2 code reader isn't going to pull codes from IHKA. I can't offer specific advice on relays or fuses to check, but maybe some can. Check the wiring which connects to the compressor as well.
Appreciate 0