2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Axle not sliding in

04-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
Axle not sliding in

Hey guys. I'm at a massive loss on what to do. I searched everywhere that I could.

I had rebuilt the front passenger side axle and went to go put it back in. It's the original axle. It won't slide in 100%, there's no amount of force that will push it back in 100%. It's engaging on the differential just fine, but it wont slide all the way in so that it sits on the axle seal...therefore, it's leaking diff fluid.

I removed the ring to see if that was causing an obstruction and the story is the same. I tried to use a mallet while turning the axle - didn't work.

It makes no sense to me as it's the same literal axle that was in the car, just now rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houranimd49 View Post
Hey guys. I'm at a massive loss on what to do. I searched everywhere that I could.

I had rebuilt the front passenger side axle and went to go put it back in. It's the original axle. It won't slide in 100%, there's no amount of force that will push it back in 100%. It's engaging on the differential just fine, but it wont slide all the way in so that it sits on the axle seal...therefore, it's leaking diff fluid.

I removed the ring to see if that was causing an obstruction and the story is the same. I tried to use a mallet while turning the axle - didn't work.

It makes no sense to me as it's the same literal axle that was in the car, just now rebuilt.
This happened to me once on my e46. Those had a slip ring on them - when we took out the old axle the slip ring stayed in the other end. We put the new axle back in and went on with the project. Eventually it slid out and the car wouldn't go anywhere. Happened twice before we figured it out…. Remove another one and see if there is a slip ring.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

You mean you can't get it past the locking ring on the spline of the half axle? This is what I did: get the outer end that engages with the wheel carrier and get it engaged with the wheel carrier, and use the wheel carrier as a giant handle/press to push it in. You should hear a really loud KA-THUNK once it engages properly, and the plastic seal "cover" should only have around 1/4" space between the plastic cover and the diff.
Appreciate 0