2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M5 Mufflers on 550i M-Sport — Diffuser

06-24-2021, 01:34 AM   #1
Surfingmb12
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [0.00]
M5 Mufflers on 550i M-Sport — Diffuser

Hi all,

As the title suggests I've just purchased a set of M5 mufflers for my 2015 550i M-sport.

Question is: will I need to get a hold of an M5 diffuser as well? Truthfully I'd really like to keep the current diffuser and cut off the exhaust tips to mount to the stock tips for an ultra OEM look. Is this possible? If not, do I need a diffuser to make the quad tips fit correctly?

Also, totally unrelated, but how hard is it to repair leather discoloration on the white/cream Napa seats? Can a re-dye help?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
For the mufflers, it is highly advised that you go with an M5 spec diffuser (genuine or aftermarket) for 2 reasons. First, the m5 muffler tips sit inward more, so you will need to cut your original diffuser and no shop will get it symmetrical, not to mention you will have a larger opening on the side where the original 550i stock used to be. Second, the stock muffler tips will stick much further out since stock diffuser has lower profile.

I know of at least one owner than transferred the original 550i tips onto the M5 muffler, so it can be done at the right shop and cost. With that said, you will lose the flaps, so the mufflers will always be loud.

Personally, get the M5 diffuser and complete the look. It transfers the car. Heck, I would be willing to bet that 50% get the M5 muffler just to be able to install a M5 diffuser. Aftermarket ones are not expensive (or used ones under M5 forum). You will also need the M5 bumper adapter. Additionally, either way whether you go stock of M5 diffuser, you should get the M5 muffler hangers or else mufflers will sit tilted up and tips not straight.

What color is your 550i?

As for the seats, watch this video. Nobody knows leather better than these guys:

2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
BMW550AD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Garage List
2014 BMW 550i  [0.00]
You can definitely keep your m-sport diffuser with the M5 mufflers You just have to find a muffler shop you trust and knows what they are doing. They can make it work. The tips need to be angled out slightly and they had to cut piping to make it fit.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the way it looks with the M-sport diffuser. Very subtle which is more of my style and costs a lot less than having to buy, paint and install the M5 diffuser and adapter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #4
Surfingmb12
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
For the mufflers, it is highly advised that you go with an M5 spec diffuser (genuine or aftermarket) for 2 reasons. First, the m5 muffler tips sit inward more, so you will need to cut your original diffuser and no shop will get it symmetrical, not to mention you will have a larger opening on the side where the original 550i stock used to be. Second, the stock muffler tips will stick much further out since stock diffuser has lower profile.

I know of at least one owner than transferred the original 550i tips onto the M5 muffler, so it can be done at the right shop and cost. With that said, you will lose the flaps, so the mufflers will always be loud.

Personally, get the M5 diffuser and complete the look. It transfers the car. Heck, I would be willing to bet that 50% get the M5 muffler just to be able to install a M5 diffuser. Aftermarket ones are not expensive (or used ones under M5 forum). You will also need the M5 bumper adapter. Additionally, either way whether you go stock of M5 diffuser, you should get the M5 muffler hangers or else mufflers will sit tilted up and tips not straight.

What color is your 550i?

As for the seats, watch this video. Nobody knows leather better than these guys:

[QUOTE=spielnicht;27733689]

Thanks for the advice! I ended up just having the guys at the shop (I trust them) install the M5 muffler with the stock M-Sport diffuser. Looks great IMO and I wanted to get it installed right away before I had time to get a diffuser.

Love the tips on the leather.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
Surfingmb12
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW550AD View Post
You can definitely keep your m-sport diffuser with the M5 mufflers You just have to find a muffler shop you trust and knows what they are doing. They can make it work. The tips need to be angled out slightly and they had to cut piping to make it fit.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the way it looks with the M-sport diffuser. Very subtle which is more of my style and costs a lot less than having to buy, paint and install the M5 diffuser and adapter.
Quote:

Your car looks great! Is it Imperial Blue Metallic? That's what mine is.

Now that I've done the M5 exhaust (and resonater delete, because why not) I already wish it was a little louder. Just found some M5 CS mufflers that I have my eyes on. Also thinking about removing the pancake muffler to replace with an x-pipe.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
BMW550AD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Garage List
2014 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Thanks Buddy!

Mine is Carbon Black Metallic. I love the color but what a PITA to keep clean.
Would love to see a picture of yours.

I only did the M5 Comp mufflers. Thought about doing the x-pipe but didn't want it too loud or have drone.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 02:01 AM   #7
Surfingmb12
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks Buddy!

I only did the M5 Comp mufflers. Thought about doing the x-pipe but didn't want it too loud or have drone.
Quote:
Thanks Buddy!

[IMG][/IMG]

I haven't done a proper shoot yet!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1