2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Custom N55 air intake journey

09-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #45
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
very cool bro! can't wait for this to finish and see how it works. this reminds me of my old skool days with the Iceman Intake system. my buddy had it on his Mitsubishi Eclipse and it was blue and the piping seemed too long and it finally found it's way to the bottom of the bumper where the filter just sat sucking up everything from air, dirt, water, ect
Haha, I built my own ram air for my 89 yellow CRX, home depot special: Wire mesh spray-painted white covering the inlet on the pass side bumper, and plastic flexible landscaping pipe going up feeding the intake! Worked great!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #46
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Haha, I built my own ram air for my 89 yellow CRX, home depot special: Wire mesh spray-painted white covering the inlet on the pass side bumper, and plastic flexible landscaping pipe going up feeding the intake! Worked great!
I hear ya! all my friends did the same. CRX...ah those were the days!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:24 AM   #47
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Cut the MAF adaptor out and Dremeling and the gluing has begun. If the adaptors don't arrive soon I found a terminal pin remover. I might carefully remove the pins and extend the wires without cutting.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #48
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Cut the MAF adaptor out and Dremeling and the gluing has begun. If the adaptors don't arrive soon I found a terminal pin remover. I might carefully remove the pins and extend the wires without cutting.
Why not just cut the MAF wire somewhere, and then splice in some wires to extend the cable itself? As long as you match the gauge of the original wire, the MAF won't know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #49
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
Why not just cut the MAF wire somewhere, and then splice in some wires to extend the cable itself? As long as you match the gauge of the original wire, the MAF won't know the difference.
I might but I'm trying not to totally butcher my wires. I was thinking of using a pin remover and then extending the wires. Whatever the case I'll be testing it out this weekend.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #50
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I want dyno #'s before and after! :-D
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #51
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
I might but I'm trying not to totally butcher my wires. I was thinking of using a pin remover and then extending the wires. Whatever the case I'll be testing it out this weekend.
If I understand correctly, you're trying to remove the pins from the connector, remove the pins from the wire, and then extend the wires from where the pins are?

The pins are highly likely to be crimped to the wire. Trying to uncrimp them sounds like more work than necessary, and at that point you might as well just cut and extend.

Also, with your current setup, can you still fit the engine cover on?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #52
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
I want dyno #'s before and after! :-D
Lol there will be no dyno. I'll run the monitors on my mhd app and we can datazap it.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #53
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Unspec unpinning the connector shouldn't be that hard. Use a terminal pin removal set. Once I have them removed I will extend the wires back to the connector and re-pin.

I'm planing on keeping my engine cover on as it greatly reduces the fuel injector clicking noises. Very unpleasant sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #54
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
MAF adaptor fitted. Had to cut one side higher than the other after creating a lip.

And for the grand finally place a 12 lbs medicine ball on top of the MAF while the glue dries.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #55
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
"Boomin and you're Boomin and you're Boomin in your Jeep"
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #56
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
oh my goodness hook the thing up already lol. you teasing us?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 02:27 AM   #57
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
oh my goodness hook the thing up already lol. you teasing us?
Lol this has been a bit challenging to build plus its contingent on my free time. Almost there. I'll run logs on my current setup and then again after I hook it up. All in good time my friend.

Final final challenge will be fitting the 90 degree elbow and extending the wires.

Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #58
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Quote:
Lol this has been a bit challenging to build plus its contingent on my free time. Almost there. I'll run logs on my current setup and then again after I hook it up. All in good time my friend.

Final final challenge will be fitting the 90 degree elbow and extending the wires.
This really cool! Glad someone steps up and tries to do this themselves. I hope it works out for you!
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #59
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Aftermarket 4 pin connectors did not work so I ordered actual BMW 4 pole terminal connector male and luckily found the female terminal! But... they won't be here until early October so I began creating the custom MAF harness extender.

Heat shrink 14-16 gauge butt connectors, that'll be wrap once more with heat shrinking tube, followed by Tesa wrap and finally plastic wire coping. Stock wires I believe are 16 gauge but I used 18.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:19 AM   #60
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
It's installed with no errors or air plausibility codes. The aluminum elbow is not going to fit unless I take apart the whole front end. So now I'm going to order a silicone elbow and extend them with short aluminum 3"pipes. I might cut up my current one.

Spools up is slightly faster, gives a nice kick in the midrange and it sounds like I have a blow-off valve now when I left off. Here some videos but they don't do it justice. I'll set up my GoPro and mount it up front. It sounds wild on spool up and purge.

I kept the stock airbox and removed the K&N air filter so all that does now is blow cool air over the exhaust manifold. The engine cover doesn't fit back in perfectly because of the fuel vent line but I might cut a little off my cover to make it snap perfectly.

Once I have it getting air rammed directly from the grill I think the midrange will kick a little more harder then it already does and I'm sure the top end moves faster now too. I'll have to test the top end on the track. I did notice I got 90+ mph very quickly once I was past 60. You can see in the video in 3rd gear 6k it's doing 90+ and with the PS2 I can shift all the way up to 7k and still making power. The funny part is I hit the top of the freeway ramp doing 90+ and other people are going faster than that when I get to the top of the entrance 😂

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jooobi377.50
      09-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #61
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the logs.

Now we just need someone make a production version at a reasonable price. I never understood why BMW would route it over the engine and not in front like other N55.
      09-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #62
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialmountain View Post

Now we just need someone make a production version at a reasonable price. I never understood why BMW would route it over the engine and not in front like other N55.
Definitely sign me up for the Group Buy lol. I've been following this for a bit, and this looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #63
Kwood-F10-535i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 535I

Garage List
Great Work!! My only questions are. How do you change/clean the filter? Do you have the black flaps behind your grill that open and close with the engine temp? If so how is the clearance?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #64
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood-F10-535i View Post
Great Work!! My only questions are. How do you change/clean the filter? Do you have the black flaps behind your grill that open and close with the engine temp? If so how is the clearance?
The filter can be cleaned by pulling your grill out. Pulling the grill out is super easy In fact too easy and always concerned someone is going to steal my grill. The fitment for the filter is still under test. As mentioned above I was unable to get the elbow in without removing the entire front bumper. I am trying another approach for the elbow. I might have to go with a flat filter too. We'll see... 👀

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #65
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialmountain View Post

Definitely sign me up for the Group Buy lol. I've been following this for a bit, and this looks awesome
Haha group buy! If I can get this 3D printed then yes there could be a group buy. For now it's a rouge project that is almost complete. Once it's 100 percent complete I'll update the original post with images, cost and a more detailed how-to.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #66
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

If it is reasonable price I would order it if you get it 3D printed. Otherwise I am figuring out how to make it happen. So is your filter behind the grill now or on the side opening?
Appreciate 0