2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Run Flats

05-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Run Flats

Hi Guys, gonna get new rear tires soon, the dunlops are close to it's final treads, you think I should go with the dunlops again? or opt for a different brand? I would like to know what you guys are running. I know I can go non run flat for way cheaper, but I have no spare and wifey drives the car to work, dont want her stranded, any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Gil
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpabalinas81 View Post
Hi Guys, gonna get new rear tires soon, the dunlops are close to it's final treads, you think I should go with the dunlops again? or opt for a different brand? I would like to know what you guys are running. I know I can go non run flat for way cheaper, but I have no spare and wifey drives the car to work, dont want her stranded, any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Gil
You'll want the same tread pattern and compound front and rear. Otherwise you may get some squirrely handling; especially in not ideal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
KEN210
China
Rep
Drives: F10/18 - 528

Quote:

-Gil
I have used Pirelli P7 RF and now PirelliP Zero RF, and find it quite okay (decent thread wear, low noise) Have not used other brands so hard to do comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN210 View Post
I have used Pirelli P7 RF and now PirelliP Zero RF, and find it quite okay (decent thread wear, low noise) Have not used other brands so hard to do comparison.
I'm thinking to stick with the Dunlops since i'm only replacing the two rears, the fronts are still at 7/32nds, but the rears are toast at 3/32nds. Thinking I shouldn't mismatch the front and rears. Was thinking about replacing all 4, but I dont want to take a $1500-$2000 hit for all 4, I got a quote from my local Wheel Works for $800 out the door for 2 Dunlop 275/35R19 RFTs. I was looking at the Pirellis too, saw bad reviews on Tire Rack about how they only like like 6k miles and they're bald. did you have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
ExtractGent
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:

-Gil
I would give my wife a AAA membership and a couple cans of fix a flat before I would endure the awful run flats again
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtractGent View Post
I would give my wife a AAA membership and a couple cans of fix a flat before I would endure the awful run flats again
Im really leaning towards non run flats, I can get all four tires mounted and balanced for under $1000 bucks. Maybe I should just go and buy a 6 pack of fix-a-flat on ebay and stick it in the trunk? Plus the tread life is 100% better than run flats. Even with low pro tires, non run flats can go about 30k miles, with run flats, your lucky to get 15k out of the rears. Any suggestions on good non run flat all seasons?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
KEN210
China
Rep
Drives: F10/18 - 528

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN210 View Post
I'm thinking to stick with the Dunlops since i'm only replacing the two rears, the fronts are still at 7/32nds, but the rears are toast at 3/32nds. Thinking I shouldn't mismatch the front and rears. Was thinking about replacing all 4, but I dont want to take a $1500-$2000 hit for all 4, I got a quote from my local Wheel Works for $800 out the door for 2 Dunlop 275/35R19 RFTs. I was looking at the Pirellis too, saw bad reviews on Tire Rack about how they only like like 6k miles and they're bald. did you have this issue?
First set of Pirelli RF (can't recall if P0 or old P7) had to replace around 35k km (20k miles). Change it to "new" P7 Cinturato, used it for around 60k km (37k miles). I try to observe on the tire wear bars/thread wear indicator in Pirellis, I think most brands will have this to but not sure. I still prefer RF due to safety as I travel lots of highway and with family, kids, just to avoid having to stop in highway or unpredictable places and change tyre. Happen few times already. RF ride quality and thread wear I think has improved and Im using KW street comfort coilovers as well so it helps I guess. Just my personal view.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
...you're lucky to get 15k out of the rears. Any suggestions on good non run flat all seasons?
I got 25K out of the Michelin ROF's that came on the car. I don't remember the model...

I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport's on my 535i. They are non-ROF and I carry a plug kit, compressor and jack. From previous experience I won't use slime.
Appreciate 0