2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Dealership out of warranty labor rates

09-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Dealership out of warranty labor rates

A dealership quoted 5.5 hours of labor to replace thrust arms on my 535i and I thought it was a little high so I called two other dealerships and they quoted 2 hours for the same repair. I brought it up to the dealership that quoted 5.5 hours and he said 2 hours is labor under warranty, my car is out of warranty obviously.

Labor rate is different for warranty vs out of warranty vehicles?? Almost 3 times as much?? Can anyone confirm

And this is just thrust arms. Doesn't include alignment etc
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
A dealership quoted 5.5 hours of labor to replace thrust arms on my 535i and I thought it was a little high so I called two other dealerships and they quoted 2 hours for the same repair. I brought it up to the dealership that quoted 5.5 hours and he said 2 hours is labor under warranty, my car is out of warranty obviously.

Labor rate is different for warranty vs out of warranty vehicles?? Almost 3 times as much?? Can anyone confirm

Wouldn't surprise me if all manufacturers were the same. That said, I know Ford/Lincoln pays half the book time for warranty work vs customer pay. Book time is a catch-22 thing. If it takes the mechanic longer than the book time, we win. If it takes less (99% of the time it does), they win. I knew a mechanic that would routinely book 80+ "work hours" a week.

My SA didn't get back to me on replacing the idler pulley and tensioner. I had them replaced at a highly recommended indy for just under $400. They have their hourly rates posted; I don't really remember the other makes, but they charge $135/hour for German cars. IIRC, my dealer is $180.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

If you were in the Chattanooga area I would do it for you for a fraction of the cost, plus give you a beer while you watch.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Quote:

If you were in the Chattanooga area I would do it for you for a fraction of the cost, plus give you a beer while you watch.
I'm in this position because a so called "reputable" and well known Indy replaced my oil pan gasket and didn't preload the suspension when tightening it back up- causing the front end to sit higher, even after going back several times telling them the car never sat this high before. It was too late when I realized what they had done and I was getting vibrations at higher speeds- the bushings were in a bind and had ripped. So now I have to replace them. My days of not using the dealership for bigger jobs like these are over as I don't know who to trust anymore. Hopefully the tires I just spent $1100 on are not messed up 😅
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in this position because a so called "reputable" and well known Indy replaced my oil pan gasket and didn't preload the suspension when tightening it back up- causing the front end to sit higher, even after going back several times telling them the car never sat this high before. It was too late when I realized what they had done and I was getting vibrations at higher speeds- the bushings were in a bind and had ripped. So now I have to replace them. My days of not using the dealership for bigger jobs like these are over as I don't know who to trust anymore 😅
Monoball bearings… well worth it and won't have that problem!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Find a Indy and avoid incompetent & fraudulent dealer SAs and Techs. They do not care about your car or your wallet
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in this position because a so called "reputable" and well known Indy replaced my oil pan gasket and didn't preload the suspension when tightening it back up- causing the front end to sit higher, even after going back several times telling them the car never sat this high before. It was too late when I realized what they had done and I was getting vibrations at higher speeds- the bushings were in a bind and had ripped. So now I have to replace them. My days of not using the dealership for bigger jobs like these are over as I don't know who to trust anymore. Hopefully the tires I just spent $1100 on are not messed up 😅
Just have to find a Indy with a experienced BMW tech. Ask around and talk to them. Bigger jobs do not mean the dealer is capable, they will still screw something up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

To the OP, ever hear the term 'stealership'?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNorm View Post
To the OP, ever hear the term 'stealership'?
Can't trust anyone these days man. The Indy I initially took it to, that put me in this position, came highly rated with great reviews.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #10
faust5
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I don’t think that is reasonable……
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #11
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Bring the turner motor sport bushings and I will remove, press the new ones in and reinstall for 200 bucks. Or if you are xdrive there are powerflex bushings in the arms for sale in these forums. I will put those in for you if you'd like.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0