2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Just bought an ‘06 750Li - Need some advice

03-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
Williamsarmy8
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 750Li

Just bought an ‘06 750Li - Need some advice

So I just bought my first Bimmer, an ‘06 750Li.

I’ve got to do some work to it:

- Both front window regulators, a control arm, and the coolant reservoir need to be replaced
- Some light oxidation of the paint

I’m doing the work myself, and I’m curious if there was anything I should be aware of, like things that break during those repairs, tricks and tips, etc.

I was also looking for a recommendation for a good car cover. I have to park it in a lot where fellow drivers are kinda shitty so I’d like it protected and taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Hi,
First of all congratulations and welcome to the Bimmer family.

As for your questions, follow the instructions on this website: https://www.newtis.info

They are the official BMW guidelines that was copied from their system to this website. Some owners who have the same car and DIY people might chip in as well to help you.

I have BMW’s own car cover (which I rarely use). I also have one made to my X3 which is a lot cheaper.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsarmy8 View Post
So I just bought my first Bimmer, an ‘06 750Li.

I’ve got to do some work to it:

- Both front window regulators, a control arm, and the coolant reservoir need to be replaced
- Some light oxidation of the paint

I’m doing the work myself, and I’m curious if there was anything I should be aware of, like things that break during those repairs, tricks and tips, etc.

I was also looking for a recommendation for a good car cover. I have to park it in a lot where fellow drivers are kinda shitty so I’d like it protected and taken care of.
N62’s suffer from the ‘valley of death’. Google it to familiarize yourself but here is a quick video describing it and a cheaper fix.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Williamsarmy8
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks for the help so far guys. Can anyone recommend a quality car cover?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsarmy8 View Post
Thanks for the help so far guys. Can anyone recommend a quality car cover?
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-F.../dp/B000PWDT0Q

Or you can go with Noah.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

There are some new materials in car covers so if going to order try to get a sample swatch.

If your worried about door dings then you need the thickest material. But think material can be hard to fold and unfold, and when they get wet are harder to remove and store.

If you cover your car where rain can freeze, if you attempt to move a cover with snow or frozen moisture on it the cover will likely tear.

The lighter the cover the more so wind will get under it and ballon the fabric. So grommet holes and rope to keep the cover on. You may need to tie down the car at both in width and length to prevent the cover from blowing half way off.

And if your car is dirty - placing a cover on or removing the cover with a dirty finish can cause hairline swirl marring.

I use a car cover daily mainly during the warm months when all the road salt has washed away. It keeps the car cool and and the rubber protected from U.V..

You may just want to use a cover just on bright sunny days to prevent sun damage and a dedicated outdoor cover for the sun (not much for ding protection).
Appreciate 0