2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavsound Revenant Pro Amplifier Install

06-27-2021, 01:44 AM   #1
Donkeee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 325ci Sport

Bavsound Revenant Pro Amplifier Install

I finally got my Bavsound Revenant Pro Amplifier after all the delays. Installed it today. Everything went well, but when installing the amp cover and panels back there isn't enough room. The amp being upright makes the wires stick out too high, and there is no room to flip it. I tried to install the panel without the cover, and it still doesn't fit. There is a bulge in the side pocket and it bends the optical cable and power/ground. I have emailed bav sound to see what they suggest. In the meantime, I have ordered some 90 degree optical cables and will work to do the same on the spade connectors for the power and ground. This might give me enough room, but I think I am pretty sure it still wont fit.

I did a basic test of the amp, and the audio actually does sound quite a bit better. I have the bavsound speakers all around and the 8ohm ghost subs. I will get if a better test tomorrow when I can get out and do some driving.

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback if the 2ohm subs would make any difference for this setup vs the 8ohm?

There is extra wiring in the pic. I have the musicar level 3 add a sub kit. JL Audio 10" W6 Sub-woofer paired up too a JL Audio XD600/1v2 amp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
John H.230.00
      06-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
DL7
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Good luck figuring this out. Hopefully, bavsound will come up with a solution based on your install.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

my Matchup7BMW fit perfect. i'm surprised Bav allowed this setup cause usually they keep thing neat and clean.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
John H.230.00
      06-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #4
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeee View Post
I finally got my Bavsound Revenant Pro Amplifier after all the delays. Installed it today. Everything went well, but when installing the amp cover and panels back there isn't enough room. The amp being upright makes the wires stick out too high, and there is no room to flip it. I tried to install the panel without the cover, and it still doesn't fit. There is a bulge in the side pocket and it bends the optical cable and power/ground. I have emailed bav sound to see what they suggest. In the meantime, I have ordered some 90 degree optical cables and will work to do the same on the spade connectors for the power and ground. This might give me enough room, but I think I am pretty sure it still wont fit.

I did a basic test of the amp, and the audio actually does sound quite a bit better. I have the bavsound speakers all around and the 8ohm ghost subs. I will get if a better test tomorrow when I can get out and do some driving.

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback if the 2ohm subs would make any difference for this setup vs the 8ohm?

There is extra wiring in the pic. I have the musicar level 3 add a sub kit. JL Audio 10" W6 Sub-woofer paired up too a JL Audio XD600/1v2 amp.

Question....do you have the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 amp previously? i noticed you used the added fiber optic cable adapter and I'm curious as to why?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
Question....do you have the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 amp previously? i noticed you used the added fiber optic cable adapter and I'm curious as to why?
apparently they are supposed to be shipping a replacement amp for the HK system....not sure if you've seen that on their site yet..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
Quote:
apparently they are supposed to be shipping a replacement amp for the HK system....not sure if you've seen that on their site yet..
A replacement Amp? The Revanant Pro was intended for all the top hi fi and hk systems. Mine shipped with the most adapter which allows for the integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
A replacement Amp? The Revanant Pro was intended for all the top hi fi and hk systems. Mine shipped with the most adapter which allows for the integration.
ok then this is the new one...they just released...i've been waiting for it to be in stock.

How's the sound compared to stock? is it worth the 1500 or so? i have all the bav sound speakers already installed..

Good luck with the wiring, Bav Sound customer services is good...i'm sure they'll have a solution or work around...

Last edited by xxpanipuri; 07-01-2021 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
Quote:
ok then this is the new one...they just released...i've been waiting for it to be in stock.

How's the sound compared to stock? is it worth the 1500 or so? i have all the bav sound speakers already installed..

Good luck with the wiring, Bav Sound customer services is good...i'm sure they'll have a solution or work around...
With the bavsound speakers and the logic 7 hk favtory Amp, I felt the sound was definately stronger that stock speakers, but needed a bit of refinement. The revanent pro Amp is tuned to give you a cleaner signal. Coupled with an additional sub, the sound for me is perfect now that have adjusted the equalizer settings.

Is it worth $1500? There are cheaper amps out there that you will have to do the tuning yourself. The price tag for the Revanant Pro is considering the added MOST adapter and the plug and play nature of the Amp. Set it and forget it. Your mostly paying for the "ease" of seappability from factory to Revanant Pro Amp.

To me it makes it worth the price tag. Should be about $500 less lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

My right angle rca adapter and optical cable came in yesterday. Going to swap out those wires and sound proof the right side of the trunk this weekend. Hopefully I can get some better pictures to share also.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 03:26 AM   #10
Donkeee
Private
Rep

Quote:
The fiber optic plug from factory system goes into the MOST adapter prior to going into the Revenant Pro Amp.

Quote:
With the bavsound speakers and the logic 7 hk favtory Amp, I felt the sound was definately stronger that stock speakers, but needed a bit of refinement. The revanent pro Amp is tuned to give you a cleaner signal. Coupled with an additional sub, the sound for me is perfect now that have adjusted the equalizer settings.

Is it worth $1500? There are cheaper amps out there that you will have to do the tuning yourself. The price tag for the Revanant Pro is considering the added MOST adapter and the plug and play nature of the Amp. Set it and forget it. Your mostly paying for the "ease" of seappability from factory to Revanant Pro Amp.

To me it makes it worth the price tag. Should be about $500 less lol
The overall sound quality is greatly improved. Specifically much deeper base, and I noticed that the volume doesn't need to be near as loud. This is what has been missing for the full Bavsound solution. Quality of the sound is great, but the fitment is not there yet for the F10. I think its due to us having a different trunk setup vs other F body BMW. This is my response when I messaged Bavsound.

"Thanks for your patience and the picture. The power cables can, gently, be bent to allow clearance, and there should be enough room on the fiber optic as well. If you want to buy a 90 degree angle plug fiber optic cable we can reimburse you for that via refund if you'd like. Keep us posted.

As for the woofers, the sub channel is programmed for the 8 Ohm woofers. The 2 Ohm will draw too much power and sound bad until they eventually blow.

Thank you so much for choosing Bavsound for your audio needs. We truly appreciate it, and we're committed to making sure you get great sound in your vehicle. Please let me know if you have ANY further questions or I can help with anything else."

I tried what they referenced, but there isn't enough room. There is a plastic panel that goes over the amp. (in pic). I tried to bend the power / ground and used a 90 degree optical cable. There is still nowhere close to enough room. Even with the power and ground removed, the plate doesn't fit. This plate is what supports the side pocket in the trunk. Without it there is no structure to the pocket. I think they are going to need a different mounting solution for the F10.

I emailed them back and will see what solution they return with. So far they have been very responsive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #11
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

They recommended it being OK to remove the plastic cover and leave it off. But your right where there is no support without it.... Because the mounting is too high and you can see it starting to bulge because of the wires. I installed the right angle adapters for the optical and rca jack. It helped with clearance and the bulge is not so noticible. It helped with realigning the carpeting properly. For me, I can live with it for now.

I was more focused on sound proofing the trunk.

I put some more deadener on the floor of the trunk in front of where the main wire harness from the battery drops into the frame of the car. Also around the 1/4 panels and some behind the gas cap door. I don't get the rattling anymore, so I am happy with the setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #12
Donkeee
Private
Rep

I decided to just resolve this on my own. I removed the mounts, and trimmed them so that they fit back in sideways. This allowed the amp to lay flat. I think used the strong velcro to attach the stock module and the MOST box to the amp. I used the factory holes to mount the modified bracket. I was able to use one existing hole on the bracket itself and only had to add one. Just used a couple of bolts to attach it. Everything fits perfect and allows the factory plastic support to be added back in. Everything fits perfect now. Glad to have this resolved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DL711.50
John H.230.00
      07-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #13
DL7
Private
Rep

Looks good Donkeee. Perhaps bavsound will come up with an f10 bracket in the future to address this issue.

Edit: I noticed you cut off the part of the bracket that holds the cooling fan. Did you remove the fan, and if so, are you concerned about heat buildup?

Last edited by DL7; 07-05-2021 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
Donkeee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL7 View Post
Looks good Donkeee. Perhaps bavsound will come up with an f10 bracket in the future to address this issue.

Edit: I noticed you cut off the part of the bracket that holds the cooling fan. Did you remove the fan, and if so, are you concerned about heat buildup?
It wasn't mounted at the time i took the picture. Fan is still there. I zip tied it in a good place to keep airflow.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #15
Donkeee
Private
Rep

Lastest response from BavSound. I am again very disappointed with this response. Glad I resolved this myself, but I want to make sure F10 owners know what they are getting into. I dont think they understand the F10 setup, and are punting the issue with a "compromising" fix. Their setup is not plug and play as they mention. They should make people aware of this issue prior to dropping $1600. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with a Helix of Germany MATCH UP7DSP Premium 7-CH Amplifier and just use the Helix most adapter. Would have probably been easier.

Just wanted to chime in here, that the support bracket needs to be removed to install the Revenant Pro, same as shown in the F80 M3 in our install video.

This of course does reduce the effective weight capacity of the left hand side trunk carpeted pocket, but as long as you are keeping lighter items in there it's totally fine, and a compromise to have the more powerful amplifier.

Getting Justin trained on all this, so sorry he didn't make that more clear earlier. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or if I can help in any other way.

Jeremy
Appreciate 1
DL711.50
      07-07-2021, 11:15 PM   #16
DL7
Private
Rep

A bit disappointed to see their response to you, especially given the premium price they are charging for a supposedly plug and play solution. Having to buy different wires and/or not having a factory support panel fit back properly is not plug and play to me. Glad you figured out a solution, but not everyone will be comfortable cutting metal (or have the proper tools already).

I had been thinking about pre-ordering the amp but then the initial shipping delays occurred and gave me pause. The amp is sold out now, so I guess it is a moot point, but this doesn’t exactly make me want to rush to order. I may end up following your work around or look into other alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #17
Sanbalto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i

Plastic plate can fit with modification

I just finished installing the Revenant Pro amp in my 2015 550i with Standard HIFI. My system doesn’t require the MOST adapter or any fiber optic audio cables. However, as stated above, even the power cable portion of the amp sits too high for the plastic support plate to be installed.

I trimmed away some of the honeycomb plastic on the bottom of the plate, right where the power cables protrude. I also bent the power cables down 90 degrees. With this combination, the plastic plate can be reinstalled. The two outer “feet” facing the interior of the trunk don’t rest all the way down, but the carpeted liner can be reinstalled and it seems fine.

I’ve attached a pic of the honeycomb shaved away (I used pliers to initially cut and peel away, and then a Dremel with a circular wire brush to clean it up).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #18
matt@bavsound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Apologies we aren't as active on the forums these days! I did just want to confirm we are now supplying updated 90 degree TOSLINK cables with these kits (back in stock late next week), so this will not be an issue moving forward.

We did reimburse anyone who ended up having to purchase a cable, and if you did and have not been reimbursed we would be happy to take care of you if you email support@bavsound.com