2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Wrapping my interior trim.

06-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Well done guys, looks great. I seriously considered this before I found my car, as I thought I was going to end up in a black leather with dark wood car, and didn't want wood with the black. I ended up with the Anthracite on an Ivory / Black interior. But good to know for future reference how good this can look and how easily it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #24
michael14789
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport

Garage List
looks good - apart those creases near the gearstick and not cut out the chrome bits on the ashtray and cup holder

just to be awkward - look what ive done

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045797
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael14789 View Post
looks good - apart those creases near the gearstick and not cut out the chrome bits on the ashtray and cup holder

just to be awkward - look what ive done

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045797
NICE! that came out really good! Brushed Black? Almost Looks OEM! And the roof came out flippin' sweet!
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 01:09 AM   #26
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Just finished covering my "dark ash", might as well be black, trim. Used vvivid dark grey true carbon. It's a match for my SG paint and brightens up with the sun on it. Car's dirty, its rained every day this week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
michael14789
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Just finished covering my "dark ash", might as well be black, trim. Used vvivid dark grey true carbon. It's a match for my SG paint and brightens up with the sun on it. Car's dirty, its rained every day this week.
Nice, however - again - why the chrome bits are not cut out and what happened in the middle of the ashtray ??!!
Why people do half jobs - That would piss me off every single time I'd get in the car!!!

Fix that my friend
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #28
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice, however - again - why the chrome bits are not cut out and what happened in the middle of the ashtray ??!!
Why people do half jobs - That would piss me off every single time I'd get in the car!!!

Fix that my friend
Easy there guy, lets not make this all about you. A pro install place quoted me $200 to do it but I wanted to try it myself since I had never done anything like this before. I left the "chrome bits" covered because I saw the other guy on here do it and liked it. I can always trim them out.
On the sides by the ashtray I ran short on material and had to do a separate piece there. Before your OCD gets all out of control, I have additional vinyl now to rewrap it. As this is my daily driver I wanted the console in while the vinyl was being delivered. I've had professionally installed graphics and vinyl on other vehicles and none come out 100 % perfect. I would say that I am 97% on the dash and door trims and maybe 94% on the console.
I do have a question for you since you seem to be able to achieve a flawless wrap on yours. How did you follow the outside upward curve facing the passenger side as it angles up to the top. The vinyl I am using wasn't plyable enough to do it, even with a heat gun, without splitting on the side. I actually had to put a small patch on it till I get it rewrapped. Now that does bother me quite a bit and definitely going to do the console over. It seems to me I may have to cut one piece for the passenger facing side and a separate piece for the top, just think it would look bad where they come together. If I can't figure it out or don't have the skill set to get it looking right, I'll pop the console again and take it to the pros. I'm battling some minor OCD issues with the console . Definitely not satisfied with it. If you have some good advice I would appreciate it. Have some compassion for those of us who are not instantly awesome at everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
michael14789
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Easy there guy, lets not make this all about you. A pro install place quoted me $200 to do it but I wanted to try it myself since I had never done anything like this before. I left the "chrome bits" covered because I saw the other guy on here do it and liked it. I can always trim them out.
On the sides by the ashtray I ran short on material and had to do a separate piece there. Before your OCD gets all out of control, I have additional vinyl now to rewrap it. As this is my daily driver I wanted the console in while the vinyl was being delivered. I've had professionally installed graphics and vinyl on other vehicles and none come out 100 % perfect. I would say that I am 97% on the dash and door trims and maybe 94% on the console.
I do have a question for you since you seem to be able to achieve a flawless wrap on yours. How did you follow the outside upward curve facing the passenger side as it angles up to the top. The vinyl I am using wasn't plyable enough to do it, even with a heat gun, without splitting on the side. I actually had to put a small patch on it till I get it rewrapped. Now that does bother me quite a bit and definitely going to do the console over. It seems to me I may have to cut one piece for the passenger facing side and a separate piece for the top, just think it would look bad where they come together. If I can't figure it out or don't have the skill set to get it looking right, I'll pop the console again and take it to the pros. I'm battling some minor OCD issues with the console . Definitely not satisfied with it. If you have some good advice I would appreciate it. Have some compassion for those of us who are not instantly awesome at everything.

Yes, I am a little bit OCD and sometimes I'm proud of it and sometimes makes my head in

I strongly believe that you couldn't stretch the vinyl enough on the corner for a very simple reason - cheap, crap ( read sh###t vinyl). Your local wrap shop charge 200 because they probably using quality stuff (I think - unless they ripping people off )
Get yourself the 3M - they do charcoal colour finish too and you will notice the difference straight away. Make sure you leave a little bit to go around the corner and stick it underneath to prevent shrinking back (obviously it can't be massively overstretched in the first place).

And please cut those chrome bits out - believe me it doesn't look good - it looks cheap, tacky, unfinished !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #30
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am a little bit OCD and sometimes I'm proud of it and sometimes makes my head in

I strongly believe that you couldn't stretch the vinyl enough on the corner for a very simple reason - cheap, crap ( read sh###t vinyl). Your local wrap shop charge 200 because they probably using quality stuff (I think - unless they ripping people off )
Get yourself the 3M - they do charcoal colour finish too and you will notice the difference straight away. Make sure you leave a little bit to go around the corner and stick it underneath to prevent shrinking back (obviously it can't be massively overstretched in the first place).

And please cut those chrome bits out - believe me it doesn't look good - it looks cheap, tacky, unfinished !!!
Thanks for the response. The vinyl is from vvivid and seemed legit but I agree that the 3m is a higher quality. I'll give it another shot since I have the material already, worse case scenario I get a little more experience working with vinyl. Can always drop off the console to the pros. Also, agree on cutting the chrome bits out on the ash and cholder lids. Quick fix on that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Either way guys love the fact u guys tackled this on yourself! I agree with michael tho...it's a BMW and don't cheap out on it! For the most part it came out good
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #32
Aiden.Detailing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 5series

here is mine i went the same route as DesiRacing-AjayB.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #33
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Great job guys. Can anyone tell me how much material I need to wrap the whole trim? Thanks
      07-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #34
Aiden.Detailing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 5series

Russkey i used about 3ft and 60in wide
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #35
Srinivash Panneerselvam
India
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden.Detailing View Post
Russkey i used about 3ft and 60in wide
Is that enough per panel basis?
      12-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #36
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRock View Post
Here's another picture
can you post me a link to where you got the vinyl from? i might have to give this a shot seeing that the carbon is actually glossy and not matte!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #37
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Would it be overkill if you guys continued wrapping parts like the lcd screen cover, around the cd and radio, vents, silver part around the shift lever and even the steering column?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #38
Simonn1974
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRacing-AjayB View Post
So I have always hated the way my trim pieces looked in my car. Last night I picked up from glass black wrap. Just did a quick job in the rear doors to see how it will look. And wow what a difference. Going to properly remove all the trim and wrap it this weekend.
Such fantastic work from all you guys in this thread. I've just traded in my 2.0d f11 for a 3.0d f11. LOVE the new car except for the brushed aluminium trim so I am seriously thinking of wrapping it myself.

I have a few questions for you all if you don't mind - firstly, this post is a few years old now, do any of you still have the same cars and how has the wrap fared of the years? And secondly, along the bottom edge of the door trim and main dash board piece, do you do anything to fix the vinyl for securely where it can't be wrapped behind the trim? For example, to stop small irritating children from pedaling it off??

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Appreciate 0