2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Can I replace front stabilizer bushings only?

08-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Can I replace front stabilizer bushings only?

Okay, expensive day today - all my lower controls arms were shot (well, ball joints) and were replaced, plus sway bars (that was relatively cheap at least). Anyway, the guys at the shop said that the front stabilizer bushings were also due, but guess what -- apparently on the F10 these are not replaceable - they come integrated with the bar itself. The only vendor who sells them as a two-part component is this one: https://febest.de/en/details/front_s...-bmsb_f10f_kit

Does anyone have experience in replacing the bushings only...? Or shall I just bite the bullet and get a new stabilizer? None of the popular 3rd party vendors seem to be selling the stabilizer either (P/N 31356786140 in my case), just the tuner shops...

Changing perfectly good components just because of old rubber seems like a massive waste, but it is what it is...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Guy at shop opinion seems false, why would fcpeuro sell just the bushings. Doesnt make sense of them. Usually all bushings are serviceable. Should be very similar to this.
Funny video but shows job.

This is an e90 also.
      08-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Guy at shop opinion seems false, why would fcpeuro sell just the bushings. Doesnt make sense of them. Usually all bushings are serviceable. Should be very similar to this.
Funny video but shows job.

This is an e90 also.
I think I'd squirt some dry-lube of silicone spray on the inside of the bushing before installation. The last thing I would want is to introduce a squeak!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Okay, expensive day today - all my lower controls arms were shot (well, ball joints) and were replaced, plus sway bars (that was relatively cheap at least). Anyway, the guys at the shop said that the front stabilizer bushings were also due, but guess what -- apparently on the F10 these are not replaceable - they come integrated with the bar itself. The only vendor who sells them as a two-part component is this one: https://febest.de/en/details/front_s...-bmsb_f10f_kit

Does anyone have experience in replacing the bushings only...? Or shall I just bite the bullet and get a new stabilizer? None of the popular 3rd party vendors seem to be selling the stabilizer either (P/N 31356786140 in my case), just the tuner shops...

Changing perfectly good components just because of old rubber seems like a massive waste, but it is what it is...
The manufacturer of my last car "cured" the issue of squeaky bushings by bonding the bushings to the stabilizer bar. There were aftermarket bushings available, but in order to change them the factory bushings had to be cut off the stabilizer bar; not impossible but a bit of a chore. Once the bushings were cut off, they were a replaceable item.
Appreciate 1
Breach80.00
      08-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I think I'd squirt some dry-lube of silicone spray on the inside of the bushing before installation. The last thing I would want is to introduce a squeak!
Oh these are pulled from YouTube not mine just to show him, if that's what your getting at. I haven't needed to do mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Oh these are pulled from YouTube not mine just to show him, if that's what your getting at. I haven't needed to do mine yet.
I was referring to anyone that did the job. The dude in the video, IMHO, should have lubed the bushings.
Appreciate 2
BurrNinja430.50
Breach80.00
      09-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

OK, thanks guys! Just for follow-up:

1. There are some limited aftermarket bushings for the front stabilizer 3rd parties offer (ca. 30 EUR). However, the OEM ones are bonded, so some cutting is required. I contacted Febest and they said no lubrication is needed.

2. The BMW OEM part sells for ca. 260 EUR with tax. I noticed however that that the supplier is a German company called Mubea (never heard of them before). Their webshop doesn't list stabilizers, but I sent them an e-mail and their customer service has been nothing short of great. They agreed to sell me the part (for a bit more than half the BMW price). So if you're in a similar situation and decide not to bother with cutting bushings:
https://www.mubea-shop.com/web/mubea....xhtml?reset=1

Of course, shipping costs may be prohibitive if you're living outside of Europe.
Appreciate 0