2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Head Up Display Brightness Issue

09-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
grid-nee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i, BMW X5 xDrive40e

Head Up Display Brightness Issue

Hey guys,

A bit out of luck and have visited too many dealerships with this issue with no avail. Basically, compared to my X5 my HUD is just far too bright. Not just the numbers but the backlight as well shines through very bright and is ultimately making the HUD difficult to use and obstructive.

I visited the first dealer who said after briefly looking at it visually that the whole unit has got to be replaced and that it would cost a few grand for that. However, I called BMW Genius and they suggested to have a diagnostic done which another dealer told me it would cost $160 for.

I'm hoping I can find some better help here. Has anyone seen an issue like this? Also, adjusting the brightness settings helps some, but everything becomes almost too dim and the backlight problem is still there.

Also, has anyone done a diagnostic on this part? Are there any ways to reset the HUD unit itself?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

That's what mine looks like if I have the headlights OFF at night (e.g. it's dark out, but headlights off, instrument cluster is white not orange) - so that's the daytime brightness profile. Are your HUD letters white with headlights off or orange?

My first guess is that the HUD display brightness is not responding to the signal that it should be in "night" mode. Whether the colour of the displayed content is responding depends on your HUD. I think their standard colouring of content changed over the years.

Why it might be properly doing "night stuff" for some things (e.g. orange lettering) but not others (way too bright) might be tough to figure out. (and could be expensive) Done any coding of any kind? Tried a full reset? (disconnect battery for an extended time) Does it behave any differently if you set AUTO, OFF or forced ON with the headlight switch?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #3
XanderX
Banned
Rep
Drives: F36

searched the HUD on NBT but no luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0