2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Pulsating Vibration above 60 mph

09-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Pulsating Vibration above 60 mph

Ok. Hopefully this won't be too long, but I need help trying to diagnose a vibration that just started recently. So, I just installed a new set of 19's and after the install and alignment I have a weird pulsating vibration. I've tried having the tires re-balanced 3 times including a road force balance and it hasn't helped. At one point, the tire shop explained that my new previously owned wheels had some bends, so I removed the wheels and took them to a shop to be repaired. I put my old 18's back on the car in the meantime and I still have the vibration. So now I'm really confused.
I tried jacking up the car and checking the suspension pieces as well as checking wheel movement for worn bearings, but nothing seems off. My car has 139k miles and I replaced the front driver side wheel bearing last year.
It's weird that the vibration started after mounting the new wheels and having the car aligned, but is now still occurring with the old wheels. I'm not sure what else to check. The giubo looks like it is worn but doesn't look any different then it has over the past few weeks. I inspected it roughly a month ago, when I installed my catless downpipe. Any suggestions?????

Last edited by Gjohnson7; 09-18-2020 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:42 AM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
If it were me I would thoroughly inspect each individual bushing see if any are worn badly or in need of replacing. Diff bushings in the F10 have a higher failure rate unknown why. That would be my guess. Also have seen many topics of the F10 vibration issue that usually doesn't get resolved it is a very finicky car with anything out of wack even the smallest bit.
      09-18-2020, 01:45 AM   #3
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
This is classic BMW 5-series for all generations. Sometimes you search under 'shimmy' to find the answer.

If you feel it in the steering wheel, then it is most likely the worn tension strut bushings (aka thrust arm bushings). With 139k miles and no control arm bushing changes, these are the first to go and the most well known to go. If the vibration or shimmy starts to go away, say higher than 75mph, then it can also signal a tension strut bushing. You may also feel or hear a thud when braking hard or the steering may be a little wobbly when braking hard from high speeds. Don't go with Lemforder, their rubber quality has diminished through the years and the rubber is softer than original BMW.

The fact that you noticed the vibration with the new wheels and tires could be a coincidence or the 19in lower profile tires revealed what was really there as far as normal wear. Also, sometimes a more aggressive tire/width can increase the load on the suspension, thus a suspension bushing that was going to break from normal wear finally broke. Anyone who has used R-compounds knows this.

If you feel the vibration in your seat, then that could indicate driveshaft center bearing, differential bushing, or driveshaft guibo(s). Or all of the above with your mileage.

If you are going to represent the F10 in a youtube channel, please do your homework very well. You will gain more subscribers that way. It is terrible when YouTubers use the wrong words (like it is "guibo" not a bushing), give the wrong advice, the wrong information, or have no knowledge of the history of how the engineering came to be for this 5-series generation.

BTW, nice paint job on the wheels.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Past: '93 525i w/ S38B36 M5 engine/trans swap, '99 540i/6sp Sport, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
BrandBMW
Updated the post above. Sorry, I rushed through the post above and should have corrected that earlier. I actually have been researching the giubo and differential bushings and plan to replace them soon due to mileage.

As an update, I took a step back and re-addressed the situation. The vibration issue I have is a result of the new wheel/tire combo. After inspecting the giubo and all suspension bushings I decided to take my stock 18" wheels back to the local tire shop to determine if they were re-balanced after removing the stock TPMS. Apparently, they were not and after rebalancing the vibration is gone with the Stock 18" wheels. So that leaves me with the culprit being the new setup.

I have picked up the wheels from the repair shop and all bends have now been addressed, so I will be heading to the tire shop today on my lunch break to see if I can have the new combination road forced balanced. Hopefully, all will be good.
BurrNinja427.50
      09-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
BrandBMW
Updated the post above. Sorry, I rushed through the post above and should have corrected that earlier. I actually have been researching the giubo and differential bushings and plan to replace them soon due to mileage.

As an update, I took a step back and re-addressed the situation. The vibration issue I have is a result of the new wheel/tire combo. After inspecting the giubo and all suspension bushings I decided to take my stock 18" wheels back to the local tire shop to determine if they were re-balanced after removing the stock TPMS. Apparently, they were not and after rebalancing the vibration is gone with the Stock 18" wheels. So that leaves me with the culprit being the new setup.

I have picked up the wheels from the repair shop and all bends have now been addressed, so I will be heading to the tire shop today on my lunch break to see if I can have the new combination road forced balanced. Hopefully, all will be good.
Even the slightest tire defect can cause the vibration also! Users have gone through so many brands of tires to find that "perfect" tire setup. Hope everything goes well man, I have slight vibrations but I am so used to it like its not there.
      09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Yeah, I'm really starting to lean toward an issue with the tires. The rear tires are brand new Continental DWS06's which seem to be awesome tires and the fronts are Continental ProContact GX SSR's. I got the front tires from my buddy cheap. They have about 90% tread and are really good tires also. It seems like my vibration is mostly coming from the rear set, which are brand new. I will see if the Road Force balance fixes the issue, if not I may be dealing with a flat spot or abnormality with the tires.
When I picked up the wheels from the repair shop they showed me on the balancer that all the wheels are bend free and runout is within spec.
      09-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
So you didn't feel the old unbalanced 18in wheels vibrating before getting the 19in wheels put on? The shop didn't notice the 19in wheels were bent when balancing? Did the shop use a lot of wheel weights?

From experience, slight wheel/tire vibrations always occur, even when Road Force balanced, but vibrations can become more prevalent with worn rubber bits and balljoints.

The misconception is to look for broken suspension parts. Worn parts don't have to be broken to magnify wheel vibrations. Just for my F10, I removed the front tension struts at 95k miles and visually could not see it was worn/broken when they are installed. Turns out out the bushing was gone and the balljoints were very loose, but not clicking.

At 97k miles, I replaced the rear guibo and diff mount. The guibo only had 1-2 small cracks that did not go through. Upon removal, the bigger issue was the guibo felt like mush. This contributed to the pedal delay feel when starting from a stop. After replacing, the pedal on/off is more direct.

So, the lesson, mileage and age are other indicators when rubber parts need to be changed. As with another pretolum product, we are suppose to change oil with mileage or age. The rubber bits can contribute to good balanced wheels/tires vibrating.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Yeah, the 18's had a slight vibration but wasn't something that was noticeable to passengers in the car.
When the 19" tires were initially being mounted, the mechanic mentioned that the wheels had few slight bends, but he didn't think that they would cause major vibrations. Unfortunately, he was wrong. I had to take my 12 year old daughter to a soccer game last Saturday and the game was 2 hours away. The vibrations were definitely noticeable. You really don't feel anything when city driving below 55 mph, but on the highway above 65 mph it becomes pretty irritating.

Yeah, I plan to eventually replace some of the worn suspension parts, I just hadn't made it that far. I was already pricing the giubo and differential bushings and was planning on doing that soon. I just replaced those parts along with the CV axles on the Q60 I sold a month ago. My F10 just hit 140K miles so I'm sure they are due to be replaced.
      09-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Could also be the ned for, or wrong size hub- centric rings on the new wheels I bought new wheels for my last car and the supplied rings were off by a few tenths of a mm. I chased the vibration for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #10
BrandBMW
Private
Rep

Garage List
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, the 18's had a slight vibration but wasn't something that was noticeable to passengers in the car.
When the 19" tires were initially being mounted, the mechanic mentioned that the wheels had few slight bends, but he didn't think that they would cause major vibrations. Unfortunately, he was wrong. I had to take my 12 year old daughter to a soccer game last Saturday and the game was 2 hours away. The vibrations were definitely noticeable. You really don't feel anything when city driving below 55 mph, but on the highway above 65 mph it becomes pretty irritating.

Yeah, I plan to eventually replace some of the worn suspension parts, I just hadn't made it that far. I was already pricing the giubo and differential bushings and was planning on doing that soon. I just replaced those parts along with the CV axles on the Q60 I sold a month ago. My F10 just hit 140K miles so I'm sure they are due to be replaced.
Ah, it's terrible to get something nice and look forward to a long drive, just for it to feel wrong. Glad it's all sorted.

Though I already did mine, I look forward to seeing the videos on these guibo, rear diff bushing, and other suspension repairs.
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:37 AM   #11
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I had a similar problem, it was my rear bearings, dealer replaced mine under warranty for free
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Could also be the ned for, or wrong size hub- centric rings on the new wheels I bought new wheels for my last car and the supplied rings were off by a few tenths of a mm. I chased the vibration for a long time.
Ok, we have a winner!!!!!

ckaul Pointed this out to me as well. My wheels are Style 433 Replicas and after searching for quite some time, I found that a lot of BMW replica wheels have a center bore of 74.1 mm instead of the 72.6 mm they claim to be. I purchased a set of cheap calipers from Harbor Freight and bingo. Ordered a set of hub rings on Amazon for less than $10 and the vibration is gone. Thanks for all your help guys.

FYI, in the pictures below. I did measure the Center bore's and then just sat the calipers on the tires for the picture. Only 2 hands.

First picture is the center bore on my stock wheels, 2nd picture is the my new Replicas.
Attached Images

10-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Ok, we have a winner!!!!!

ckaul Pointed this out to me as well. My wheels are Style 433 Replicas and after searching for quite some time, I found that a lot of BMW replica wheels have a center bore of 74.1 mm instead of the 72.6 mm they claim to be. I purchased a set of cheap calipers from Harbor Freight and bingo. Ordered a set of hub rings on Amazon for less than $10 and the vibration is gone. Thanks for all your help guys.

FYI, in the pictures below. I did measure the Center bore's and then just sat the calipers on the tires for the picture. Only 2 hands.

First picture is the center bore on my stock wheels, 2nd picture is the my new Replicas.
CONGRATS!! Here's to many many smooth, vibration-free miles!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Thanks for your help!
      08-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #15
Bonez2u
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M

I hope this fixes my problem also...bought car and tires needed changing so thought that was problem. Today new tires and still same problem, removed my wheels and they said made in China, measure at 74m. ordered rings I needed as car measures 72mm..

2011 550i m sport.

Thanks for doing the research, troubleshooting and most importantly posting the fix, many forgot the fix part.

Test drive, vibration gone. Thanks

Last edited by Bonez2u; 08-04-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:43 AM   #16
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10

Hey Gents

I too have this wobble issue from 70-80ish.

I bought the spigots but didn't need them, I've had new Beck & Borg discs and pads all round, bought four new Pilot Sport 4 with the ZP, XL and BMW fitment but still no change. My wheels are round, had them checked too.

My brakes though had this squeal at low speed braking just on the front. I've never threatened to use a spanner on a car in anger but I thought I'd have a go at servicing the calipers myself. The guy that fitted my new brakes was uber fast, I did see him clean but maybe not as thoroughly as needed. So I thought I'd have a go.

Watched a couple of YouTubes. Bought the 7mm caliper Allen key and some crappy 2 ton scissor lift jack, some ceramic brake lube and a socket set and got to it on the first dry day I could.

After a lot of cussing and learning the job was done. I remembered to also lubricate the back of the brake pad too on the second one which I forgot to do on the left (first).

This hasn't fully solved the issue fully BUT has made a massive improvement, the speed wobble has almost disappeared. I'm hoping by lubricating the rear of the other pad may help the wobble to go altogether.

My point is that the issue looks to be the brakes in my case.

I also noticed that with the wheel off, if I spin the brake disc, it doesn't appear to be straight, it touches the outer pad then for the next 3/4 of the rotation it doesn't. So the disc is either warped or again it's not clean between the hub and the back of the disc.

I've got the brake guy coming round to have a nose which he's happy to do so I might sit outside with him to go through what I've spotted and give the chap a lesson maybe.

I hope this helps somebody as its been driving me insane

Forgot to mention, my 520d MSport has only 63k on the clock.

Cheers

Daren

Last edited by DarenF; 01-02-2022 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:01 AM   #17
DarenF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10

Vibration FIXED!

Quote:
Ok. Hopefully this won't be too long, but I need help trying to diagnose a vibration that just started recently. So, I just installed a new set of 19's and after the install and alignment I have a weird pulsating vibration. I've tried having the tires re-balanced 3 times including a road force balance and it hasn't helped. At one point, the tire shop explained that my new previously owned wheels had some bends, so I removed the wheels and took them to a shop to be repaired. I put my old 18's back on the car in the meantime and I still have the vibration. So now I'm really confused.
I tried jacking up the car and checking the suspension pieces as well as checking wheel movement for worn bearings, but nothing seems off. My car has 139k miles and I replaced the front driver side wheel bearing last year.
It's weird that the vibration started after mounting the new wheels and having the car aligned, but is now still occurring with the old wheels. I'm not sure what else to check. The giubo looks like it is worn but doesn't look any different then it has over the past few weeks. I inspected it roughly a month ago, when I installed my catless downpipe. Any suggestions?????

I had exactly the same issue on my F10 520d MSport from when I bought it a year ago.

I changed tyres, all the brakes, suspected buckled wheel so I bought refurbed wheels but nothing solved it.
Then, last week, the lower coil snapped on the rear spring. I had them changed for BMW original parts at my local indi for £375 including the springs and the wobble has dissappeared.
The car drives sublime again. Rear has firmed up too.
The road force thing is junk, don't waste your money.

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a year now and hundreds of people seem to be having this issue please spread this solution.
      07-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #18
terradown
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535D XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenF View Post
I had exactly the same issue on my F10 520d MSport from when I bought it a year ago.

I changed tyres, all the brakes, suspected buckled wheel so I bought refurbed wheels but nothing solved it.
Then, last week, the lower coil snapped on the rear spring. I had them changed for BMW original parts at my local indi for £375 including the springs and the wobble has dissappeared.
The car drives sublime again. Rear has firmed up too.
The road force thing is junk, don't waste your money.

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a year now and hundreds of people seem to be having this issue please spread this solution.
DarenF Was your vibration felt throughout the whole car (steering wheel, seat, dash, floor) and intensified while braking?

My car started to vibrate between 90-130 when I installed the summer wheels. Was told it's caused by the tires and although I had doubts I bought a new set of Michelin Pilot 4 ZP*.

Since then I had numerous visits at garages and BMW dealership to no avail.

So far they have checked:
-brake discs and sticking calipers
-balanced and changed components in both driveshafts
-transfer case
-replaced both lower control arms
-tried wheels from two other cars and same problem

After all these checks and rebalancing the driveshafts the car vibrates even more. I can feel it slightly from 60 km/h all the way to 180 even further.

I really don't know what else to do in order to fix the car and they haven't got any more ideas. Could you please describe the vibrations you had? I suggested they check the springs but they said they couldn't cause the vibrations I'm having. The car is build date 10.2016 with 150k km.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
Miroslaw Boldys
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520d

I had a similar problem and it was a bearing, but my friend had similar concerns and only changing the tires helped.
Appreciate 0