2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 351 wheel cracked

08-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

351 wheel cracked

Last weekend I had new tyre fitted to the rear of my F10 and when fitting the tyre fitted pointed out a small crack I had in one of my rear rims and that I needed to get it tended to. The car has always been on RFT's.

The crack is from the inside edge of the rim and is about 1cm into the barrel. There is no loss of pressure at the moment.

Has anyone else suffered cracked 351's?
I couldn't find anything online detailed this as a common issue unlike the e90 3 series cracking onn 19inch wheels which is well documented.

My car has been outside of the BMW network for 2 years and is nearly 8 years old so I'd guess there will be no BMW goodwill.

Has anyone had a wheel welded? If could you notice any differences, other than cosmetic?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Sorry to hear of the cracked wheel as don't believe it to be common. Agree it was common on the e90.

Still might be worth chasing bmw uk never know what they could help with.

Welding could hold the crack

Depending on what they charge and success rate could compare against a used 351m wheel.

I have the same wheels and on run flats and have always dreaded a cracked.

Our roads are in a very poor condition and having 19"s with rft they do take it's toll.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #3
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

BMW aren't going to give any goodwill towards a cracked wheel as they will put it down to wear and tear on our sometimes poor roads. If you take the wheel to a good alloy wheel repair outfit they will fix the crack and paint the wheel and you'd be none the wiser.

I'm down in Kent and we have Diamond Styling: http://www.diamondstyling.co.uk/contact.html

That do work for Maranellos Ferrari and the like. Their work is very good and they paint the wheel after rather than powder coating which is my preferred refurb method.
Appreciate 0