2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Extended warranty

10-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Extended warranty

Has anyone taken out extended warranty after 3 years manufacturer warranty has run out? If yes did you take it out with BMW or third party? I'm looking into this and have been quoted £600 for comprehensive with £250 excess which for a year from BMW and want to compare if there's better solutions to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

That's a good price you got there IMO. You won't get a better solution that is as no-quibble as BMW's.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT

Last edited by shiner; 10-18-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

I took it out, mistake I made was not doing it monthly to begin with

If u take annual policy they recalculate at renewal...

If it's monthly it just keeps rolling, cost goes up massively after 60k miles (1200 on a 520d), also stop covering certain components after 100k

I'd advise pay monthly and keep it rolling
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
dessmfc
Rep
Drives: F10 Lux Auto Touring

I've got a warranty on my 5yr old 520d with 74k on the clock with CSMA. It includes MOT failure insurance too, for £340 a year. Unlimited number of claims up to £2.5k per claim, which should cover most things except a full engine failure. I get to choose the repairer. Hope I never have to use it but it's a bit of piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessmfc View Post
I've got a warranty on my 5yr old 520d with 74k on the clock with CSMA. It includes MOT failure insurance too, for £340 a year. Unlimited number of claims up to £2.5k per claim, which should cover most things except a full engine failure. I get to choose the repairer. Hope I never have to use it but it's a bit of piece of mind.
Have you made a claim on that as yet? That's the true test of any policy. Many of the cheaper ones are notorious for not paying up at the time you need it or try and play the "wear and tear" card...... Or they only pay for the "final" thing the garage did that actually fixed the car, not the other things that are sometimes tried by BMW to work their way towards the fix in the elimination process (which you have to pay for and is in the terms and conditions of the work they do).

I am about to renew my warranty of my 535 and my Z4. It is crazy to drive these cars without the warranty IMO, the potential for *huge* bills is so high.

Last edited by shiner; 10-18-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

I renewed the policy again on my 535D and upgraded it to £100 excess option (I was on £250 excess before) with comprehensive cover and emergency breakdown cover. £865. I am on 42400 miles.

That is a lot of money, for sure. However, the way I think about this is that to get under the umbrella of BMW warranty with a replacement BMW Approved used car purchase would see me having to part trade my current car and add £20000 of my money (possibly more) to get such a car of similar specification to my 535D - and that £20000 would immediately depreciate away to nothing in a couple of years. £10000 a year in depreciation.

My car has undergone much of that deprecation, is highly specified, is low mileage and is immaculate and, most importantly, I still love it. So I think the £865 when you way that dynamic up is worth it - certainly in my circumstances where I can afford it. But then, could *you* afford a very costly repair bill, because you didn't invest in the warranty? That's the chance you take. Because of course, you could risk not having any warranty and trusting to luck and you may get away with it. But these cars are full of sophisticated electronic systems and and an extremely expensive repair - five figures maybe - is always a possibility. Any repair for me now is just the £100 excess on what is a fabulous car. And I have not had to fork out a fortune to replace what is an immaculate car.

That's my rationale. I just think there are too many very expensive moving parts and systems on these cars not to be under the umbrella of the manufacturer.

EDIT: Meant to add that when you get your renewal letter, you have the option to convert the warranty from annual to monthly if you want to. Or vice versa. Next year I will take the monthly option. I plan to keep this car for another three or four years.

Last edited by shiner; 11-04-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0