2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) So where do we all think Newey will end up?
View Poll Results: What is Adrian Newey going to do after leaving Red Bull in 2025
He is off to Ferrari 22 75.86%
Aston and all the money he is going there 2 6.90%
Mercedes are going to grab Verstappen and he is going to join him 2 6.90%
Retirement, he is 65 time to enjoy his new boat and relax 3 10.34%
Something else, maybe a super consultant or a pet project to help Williams. 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #1
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

So where do we all think Newey will end up?

So Newey has officially stopped working for Red Bull Racing and will only be working on the Supercar until Q1 2025, but what is he going to do after that? Time for a poll.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i've learned to never underestimate how many of these guys grew up enamored by a red ferrari.
Appreciate 3
NYG10835.00
      Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
i've learned to never underestimate how many of these guys grew up enamored by a red ferrari.
Like Vettel said, everyone is a Ferrari fan.

There’s strong indication that if retirement isn’t an option, Ferrari is the team. Like Hamilton, there was always an interest for working with/for Ferrari but in Newey’s case, he kept declining the opportunity. Looks like this is the last opportunity for Newey to fulfill a career achievement and I’d expect him to take it.

I don’t think retirement because if it was that, you would just play it out for the remainder of the season and call it a career. The timing of walking away now to focus on the hypercar project leads me to believe a timing clause they’re trying to work for Newey to join a new team ASAP.
Appreciate 3
3798j11457.00
toxik2462.00
NYG10835.00
      Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #4
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

One interesting thing that the F1 teams are going to have to solve is today they ar e using people across the F1 team and car / 'special' projects to reduce the cost to the F1 team and the cost cap.

However I seem to remember that from the end of 25 that is going to have to be you are either 100% in F1 or not they don't want this cost 'avoidance' solution to be used anymore. That might factor into a few teams plans especially for highly paid people outside of the top people in the team that can be outside of the cost cap.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #5
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

I've voted going to Merc with Verstappen because of the logic behind it; a driver style he knows well, stay in England, etc. But gut feeling says he'll end up at Ferrari.
      Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #6
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Ferrari will give him the keys to the Kingdom and welcome him aboard. I'm sure Hamilton will be quietly advocating for his presence on the team! What could be the downside?

What will Max do now is the remaining question!? Under contract thru 28'... Lol

Better keep racking up those wins now!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #7
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
"It is understood that Newey has ruled out any interest in going to Aston Martin, but Ferrari does remain an option – with it suggested that team principal Fred Vasseur met privately with the famed F1 designer on Tuesday to try to move things forward."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...ning/10605425/
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #8
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
I've voted going to Merc with Verstappen because of the logic behind it; a driver style he knows well, stay in England, etc. But gut feeling says he'll end up at Ferrari.
Yeah I was in that boat, went for Ferrari but could definitely see him going in the other route to Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #9
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I am sure Ferrari and McLaren are happy that Newey has left RBR immediately except for helping with the RB17 super car. We will see how RBs upgrades/updates do the rest of the season.
Appreciate 1
NYG10835.00
      Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
I voted Ferrari but think there's some truth in what you said.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60371.00
      Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Adrian Newey's Red Bull F1 departure imminent"
Adrian Newey’s departure from Red Bull is expected to be imminent, with sources suggesting an announcement could come ahead of Formula 1’s Miami Grand Prix.
Motorsport.com - Christian Nimmervoll - Apr 30, 2024
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...nent/10605070/
"(...) It is not known what Newey will do after Red Bull, although there seem to be five clear options: Mercedes, Aston Martin, McLaren, Ferrari or stepping away from F1.
One argument against Mercedes is that Newey apparently believes it would take too long to set the necessary course to put the team back on the road to victory.
He is 65 and will not stay in his next job for 19 years, as was the case at Red Bull. What's more, he reportedly does not have a particularly high opinion of Toto Wolff.
Lawrence Stroll is waving his chequebook at Aston Martin and Dan Fallows, a long-time colleague of Newey's at Red Bull, is already there. However, Newey has earned enough money in his career. For him, it's about doing things that he enjoys.
It is rumoured that Newey is rather reserved towards Stroll Sr. and is therefore not considering the Canadian's financially attractive offer. Also, he does not like the idea that Stroll could drive up the market value of Aston Martin with Newey as an asset and then perhaps sell the team for a profit.
Newey has already worked for McLaren in the past, from 1997 to 2005, so this would no longer be a new challenge for him.
He gets on extremely well with CEO Zak Brown on a personal level. But Newey doubts that the team can mobilise the resources required for success in Formula 1.
That leaves Ferrari. It's no secret that they want him there, but the key question is whether or not he would want the upheaval in his life to move to Maranello and deal with the political environment inside the team."

"Newey free to join F1 rival in 2025, Red Bull warned of “unmitigated disaster”"
Adrian Newey’s agreed departure from Red Bull leaves him free to join a rival Formula 1 team next year, despite warnings of an “unmitigated disaster” for the squad."
Motorsport.com - Jonathan Noble - May 1, 2024
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...ning/10605425/
"(...) Other teams have inevitably been interested in luring Newey on board, with Aston Martin and Ferrari both known to have made lucrative offers to secure his services.
It is understood that Newey has ruled out any interest in going to Aston Martin, but Ferrari does remain an option – with it suggested that team principal Fred Vasseur met privately with the famed F1 designer on Tuesday [April 30, 2024] to try to move things forward.
And while no deal is in place yet, negotiations are likely to continue as Vasseur makes a personal push to try to convince Newey to join him in time for Lewis Hamilton’s arrival at the squad next year."

The left-handed top designer at the RBR factory (2017):

Name:  Newey_RBR_02.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  Newey_RBR_01.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  151.3 KB
M5Rick60371.00
      Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #12
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
From the casual observer, it makes sense for Mercedes to try it's darnest to lure Newey just because of Max. If Wolf can convince Newey to come to them instead of Ferrari, it would probably lure Marko and Max as well and probably stick it to Horner in the process.

Aside from that, Mercedes is more in need of Newey atm than Ferrari. If Newey wanted more of a challenge, Mercedes would be more of a challenge instead of Ferrari.

Regardless of where this ends up, it would be interesting to see how Red Bull is going forward. Do they really have their stuff together as Horner keeps indicating. Is their whole thing with Ford actually going to work or will they learn in a few years like every other team and player has learned in many other sports, including F1. No one stay son top forever.
      Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #13
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

If I was Newey, I’d say I’ll come along as you get a great driver in Max and dump ham. That would be a great twist since I don’t think Ham has the talent to win in a hard to drive Newey designed car.
Max and Newey are one of the best combos we’ve seen in the sport and would be nice to see them do it again with another team. I don’t believe Newey can just turn around a team in a year - it did take him many years at RB to get them there and would likely not change now. I also don’t believe it is a single man who makes or breaks but the entire team and RB had about 20 years of his influence on their team.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60371.00
      Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #14
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

While I think Ferrari is the most obvious choice, I think Aston Martin is the underdog that might win out.

They built the Valkyrie with him. I sort of doubt that Ferrari is going to hand over reigns to design a street car any time soon, but Aston just might. I think he has the opportunity to make a larger influence at AM than he would at Ferrari, so for that reason, I vote AM.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #15
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Max, Marko, and Newey - Mercedes '25.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #16
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

he's British & Hamilton fan, and has Ferrari bucketlist

so Ferrari naturally
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #17
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
While I think Ferrari is the most obvious choice, I think Aston Martin is the underdog that might win out.

They built the Valkyrie with him. I sort of doubt that Ferrari is going to hand over reigns to design a street car any time soon, but Aston just might. I think he has the opportunity to make a larger influence at AM than he would at Ferrari, so for that reason, I vote AM.
I’d love to see Newey and Max at AM reunited with Honda who have said to love them both.
Appreciate 3
dfox630.00
Autobacs1361.50
      Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #18
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Setting us up for a possible 8th WDC. Yhihf.

Last edited by murderspice; Yesterday at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #19
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Without taking anything away from Adrian's achievements, he has far less of a role in the RB19 and RB20 than you might think. He will be missed of course but not as much as some would lead you to believe.
      Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #20
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
If I was Newey, I’d say I’ll come along as you get a great driver in Max and dump ham. That would be a great twist since I don’t think Ham has the talent to win in a hard to drive Newey designed car.
Max and Newey are one of the best combos we’ve seen in the sport and would be nice to see them do it again with another team. I don’t believe Newey can just turn around a team in a year - it did take him many years at RB to get them there and would likely not change now. I also don’t believe it is a single man who makes or breaks but the entire team and RB had about 20 years of his influence on their team.
Which is why the timing of this is perfect for things to start off correctly. Yes, it would be a bit more difficult if anyone came in mid way through a set of regulations expecting to suddenly turn around a team. But you get them at the start of a new set of regulations, you won’t necessarily get or be ahead, but you definitely wouldn’t be starting from back.

As far as building super teams in sports go, this is F1’s version if in 2026, you have a LEC, HAM pairing driving a Newey designed F1 car while still in the ground effects+ era. Perhaps it’s Ferrari’s time to finally be back in the F1 spotlight as winners.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #21
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Without taking anything away from Adrian's achievements, he has far less of a role in the RB19 and RB20 than you might think.
i'd like to know who then designed the side pods, then removed the side pods?

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #22
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
i'd like to know who then designed the side pods, then removed the side pods?

Sparky68 is a wise person: he/she won't disclose any such internal info because of professional secrecy commitments. Bimmerpost can be accessed worldwide, so in principle also by F1 journalists and F1 teams (including Red Bull Racing).