2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Advice on keeping battery healthy

02-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Advice on keeping battery healthy

65 reg F10 M Sport

So the weather has dropped and my car has been in the garage since April except once a week i take it out of the garage start it up and leave it on for 30 mins. I have been doing this every week up until today.

In October i went on a 200 mile drive and now seen some neighbours calling AA, recharging their batteries and all of a sudden i get an email from BMW about battery conditions.

I might take it for a 10 mile drive every 2-3 months if required.

Now with that said for now the car isnt being used a lot (for now due to Covid-19) but is this enough to keep the battery healthy/good condition or are there any other steps i should consider bringing in?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I would put a trickle charger on the battery when it's inside the garage.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2021, 02:46 AM   #3
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I would put a trickle charger on the battery when it's inside the garage.
Just curious to know why? is it that I'm not using the car enough and the weekly turn on of the car isn't enough? Anything else I should/could try before a trickle charge?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDubleYuu View Post
Just curious to know why? is it that I'm not using the car enough and the weekly turn on of the car isn't enough? Anything else I should/could try before a trickle charge?
Yes, it just isn't getting enough use. Sooner or later, especially in wintertime, you're going to find it just won't start (batteries are weaker in cold weather), plus a low-charged battery tends to mean the car will throw up spurious fault codes when components aren't receiving the voltage they expect to.

Starting an engine from cold and just leaving it to run for 30 minutes is a recipe for long-term disaster - if it's a petrol then you're going to end up flooding the bores and diluting the oil, if it's a diesel then you're going to clog up the DPF.

Far better to keep the battery on charge all the time if the car is in a secure garage, and only start it up when you actually take it for a drive.

As terrible as it is to say it, if the car is literally getting zero use apart from a trip last October (just think, that's already 4 months ago), then you might be better not having a car and hiring one when you need it for a longer trip, or getting a taxi for local stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Yes, it just isn't getting enough use. Sooner or later, especially in wintertime, you're going to find it just won't start (batteries are weaker in cold weather), plus a low-charged battery tends to mean the car will throw up spurious fault codes when components aren't receiving the voltage they expect to.

Starting an engine from cold and just leaving it to run for 30 minutes is a recipe for long-term disaster - if it's a petrol then you're going to end up flooding the bores and diluting the oil, if it's a diesel then you're going to clog up the DPF.

Far better to keep the battery on charge all the time if the car is in a secure garage, and only start it up when you actually take it for a drive.

As terrible as it is to say it, if the car is literally getting zero use apart from a trip last October (just think, that's already 4 months ago), then you might be better not having a car and hiring one when you need it for a longer trip, or getting a taxi for local stuff.
Thanks robbiep !!

Ive attached of what i have done so far with the battery charger. Does this look correct? Should i still continue to charge it overnight (its kept in the garage)?

Connected the red wire to the positive on the battery under the flip and the negative to a nut towards the front of the car.

Appreciate your help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks good - you could either leave it connected up all the time, or just put it on charge for a day every week, both will help to keep it all in good order
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:23 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks robbiep !!

Ive attached of what i have done so far with the battery charger. Does this look correct? Should i still continue to charge it overnight (its kept in the garage)?

Connected the red wire to the positive on the battery under the flip and the negative to a nut towards the front of the car.
Are you connected at the battery, or under the bonnet? If misunderstanding your comment, you should be using the connection points (BMW instruction) under the bonnet. It ensures the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) is in circuit, monitoring the battery SoC (State of Charge).

As Robbie has stated, idling a car doesn't do it any good, Plus it may not even charge the battery very much, (if at all), as energy management is controlling the charge state. It is not like a conventional charging system where its aiming for 100% SoC. If the battery is something like 75 - 80% SoC, the alternator will only be supporting that state, not charging the battery.

Even a reasonable run (say 30 miles) may not improve the SoC, unless the battery is really low.

It is prudent to maintain the battery, when we are not using our vehicles on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
... and all of a sudden i get an email from BMW about battery conditions.
Curious... what did they send you? What suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:57 AM   #9
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you connected at the battery, or under the bonnet? If misunderstanding your comment, you should be using the connection points (BMW instruction) under the bonnet. It ensures the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) is in circuit, monitoring the battery SoC (State of Charge).

As Robbie has stated, idling a car doesn't do it any good, Plus it may not even charge the battery very much, (if at all), as energy management is controlling the charge state. It is not like a conventional charging system where its aiming for 100% SoC. If the battery is something like 75 - 80% SoC, the alternator will only be supporting that state, not charging the battery.

Even a reasonable run (say 30 miles) may not improve the SoC, unless the battery is really low.

It is prudent to maintain the battery, when we are not using our vehicles on a regular basis.
Quote:
Curious... what did they send you? What suggestions?
Here's the image of how i have the battery connected - hopefully all is good?

The email they sent was pretty much saying its worth having you battery checked and maintained. Heres the jist of the email if you're interested

Your Battery Maintenance Check will include:

• A battery energy diagnosis check
• All visible battery cables checked to ensure the integrity
• A vehicle health check ensuring that other key components are in good condition such as tyres, lights, fluids and more
• A complete battery top-up charge cycle (if required) or recommendation of a replacement battery if your current charge is depleted or the battery is damaged
• A detailed report on your current battery state as well as an overall vehicle health check report

RRP £24.99

Please note that depending on the condition of your battery and the charge required – your vehicle may need to be left with us for an extended period of time.

Should you require a new battery, the £24.99 charge will be included in the cost of the replacement battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Here's the image of how i have the battery connected - hopefully all is good?

The email they sent was pretty much saying its worth having you battery checked and maintained. Here's the list of the email if you're interested

Your Battery Maintenance Check will include:
Connected up fine.

Ah I see, I expect they are getting a few calls on low battery warnings and other battery related issues. Plus a chance of an income stream with the checks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Connected up fine.

Ah I see, I expect they are getting a few calls on low battery warnings and other battery related issues. Plus a chance of an income stream with the checks.
Yea, so it got me panicked thinking i better do something lol
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #12
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

When I didn't use my F11 535 in the first lockdown for eight weeks, I had a few weird faults pop up on the iDrive. Drove it around a bit and all faults disappeared.

Some weird issues can be caused by a less than optimal battery so ensure you trickle charge it if it is not being used for extended periods.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0