2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Chassis Stabilization Message - Reduced Power

06-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 535i xdrive

Chassis Stabilization Message - Reduced Power

Boy, my car is killing me this past week. It's a 2011 535xi. I'm out of town for medical reasons, and putting a lot of miles on the car after it's sat for a couple of months. Did a once over before I left, but clearly it was not adequate.

I'll list things in the order they happened, but many may not be relevant

-Battery faulty code begins to display
-Clock spring breaks
-On the highway, car throws some codes, goes into limp mode
-I clear the codes, and it works again for a little while.
-drivetrain issue, drive moderately appears again, limp mode, this time clearing codes doesn't help.
-I replace the battery, and for some reason, carly can't register it as a new type of battery (went from non-agm to agm).
-Next day I wake up, car cranks, starts and dies. Happens twice until I quickly put it in gear, give it gas, move, and then it stays alive.
-Now 4x4 chassis stabilization error message is on, and the comfort assist door locks don't work.
-I take the car to a shop, have the battery registered. Now battery faulty code is gone
-Car has the 4x4 chassis stabilization message on as soon as it starts, and it never goes away, even when I clear codes with carly.

This last bit is the problem because it's stuck in limp mode, and I need to drive the damn thing. All the issues cropped up when the battery really started to fail on the highway, but replacing it and clearing codes doesn't seem to fix them. Comfort assist locking still not working, though that's a minor thing.

I've pulled the codes related to 4x4, and got 48097d - Transfer case clutch position open, rwd only. It also has a couple of engine codes, related to the hpfp, but carly classisfies them as minor. I assume they aren't what's causing the chassis stabilization error, but if they could be, let me know.

Working theory is that the dying battery caused the transfer case to think it is failing, it locks clutch open, and now it's stuck like that.I've got an esys cable coming tomorrow, will be messing around with that, looking to be pointed in the right direction if possible.

Last edited by 53535; 06-09-2022 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0