2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Unbranded or part work tyres

02-03-2019, 04:48 AM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Unbranded or part work tyres

Hi folks

Has anyone put unbranded or part work tyres of their 5.

How did you get on?

Recommend it avoid?

Thanks

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Depends on how part worn and where you are getting them from.
Check the dot code, make sure they have no repairs and the tyre looks in good condition.

Ideally a matching pair, should be fine.

eBay and gumtree/Craigslist are good for finding high tread tyres
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure which one is the bigger evil. I bought my car from main dealer but came with Accelera tyres which were almost brand new (7+mm thread) and lasted me 30k miles. However, I was always conscious of them so never really pushed the car to its limit.

Having said that I would not buy budget and spend a bit more to get Michelins. However, choice between part worn or budget, I'd go budget because side wall damage on part worns cannot be measured.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Depends on how part worn and where you are getting them from.
Check the dot code, make sure they have no repairs and the tyre looks in good condition.

Ideally a matching pair, should be fine.

eBay and gumtree/Craigslist are good for finding high tread tyres
Hi

The majority of them have had puncture repairs but as mentioned in the posit below they don't state where and the severity.

These are questions I need to ask

Thanks for your reply!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
Not sure which one is the bigger evil. I bought my car from main dealer but came with Accelera tyres which were almost brand new (7+mm thread) and lasted me 30k miles. However, I was always conscious of them so never really pushed the car to its limit.

Having said that I would not buy budget and spend a bit more to get Michelins. However, choice between part worn or budget, I'd go budget because side wall damage on part worns cannot be measured.
Hi

Good point here, side wall damage cannot be measured.

You've got me thinking.

I'll try and save up for the Michelin's.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
ReluctantRenegade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

The contact surface between your (and your family's/friend's) precious butt and the road is about the size of your palm multiplied by four. I would make damn sure I get the best possible tires - this is not the place to cut corners. If you have the bucks to buy a F10/11 (certainly not a car for those on budget!), do yourself a favor, buy some proper tires. Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your replies help and advice. Has been very informative.

Sp
Appreciate 0