2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Engine Fan Malfunction on new 2012 528 with less than 1000 miles

10-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
sigaris
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Engine Fan Malfunction on new 2012 528 with less than 1000 miles

My new 2012 528 all of a sudden displayed the Engine Fan Malfunction warning. The computer then regulated the driving so I couldn't accelerate normally. I'm curious to know how many other owners have experienced this in their cars. Bit concerned that I'm getting this error this early into the car's life.

Car is at the dealer now..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigaris
My new 2012 528 all of a sudden displayed the Engine Fan Malfunction warning. The computer then regulated the driving so I couldn't accelerate normally. I'm curious to know how many other owners have experienced this in their cars. Bit concerned that I'm getting this error this early into the car's life.

Car is at the dealer now..
That's what happens when you only cold test an engine.

BMW has an ingenious way of stress testing your new motor after its production. They connect an electric motor to the engine and hookup lots of sensors to test the engine...without the use of combustion.

However, some temperature sensitive components may not be appropriately stressed, and this may be why the defect was not picked up in your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
sigaris
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
That's what happens when you only cold test an engine.

BMW has an ingenious way of stress testing your new motor after its production. They connect an electric motor to the engine and hookup lots of sensors to test the engine...without the use of combustion.

However, some temperature sensitive components may not be appropriately stressed, and this may be why the defect was not picked up in your car.
Thank you for your post. After an ENTIRE WEEK, the dealer finally tells me my car is ready. I go to pick up the car, and I haven't even driven off the lot, and then I got a "Power-train Malfunction Warning". Needless to say, I was a bit pissed at the dealer. Unbelievable!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Sooo what happened??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
OzDriver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigaris View Post
Thank you for your post. After an ENTIRE WEEK, the dealer finally tells me my car is ready. I go to pick up the car, and I haven't even driven off the lot, and then I got a "Power-train Malfunction Warning". Needless to say, I was a bit pissed at the dealer. Unbelievable!!
Sounds like what it needs is a "Warning System Malfunction" Warning

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
sigaris
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Sooo what happened??
Finally got the car back after a week and a half in the shop. The powertrain malfunction warning was apparently due to a disconnected vacuum hose.

The worthless service rep couldn't (wouldn't) tell me why or how it became disconnected. The Engine Faln malfunction was apparently due to a bad fan which was replaced. My guess is that somehow the vacuum hose was disconnected during the fan repair.

I just can't believe how callous and arrogant the service rep was. All I know is that if I see any other malfunctions, I'm going to Lemon the car.

Other than that, very happy to be back in the car!
Appreciate 0