2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 LCI Harmon Kardon Speakers issue

08-23-2023, 02:00 PM   #1
Shamwow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d xDrive

F10 LCI Harmon Kardon Speakers issue

Trying to diagnose and correct an issue with my speakers. Wondering if anyone here knows what's up.

Car is a 2016 BMW 535d with the Harmon Kardon sound system.

A few weeks ago, I was parked listening to music in my car when suddenly the music cut out and there was a ton of static. Turned the car off, restarted, and I THINK the speakers were fine for the drive home. Thinking back, it may have just been the rear speakers, but I didn't notice at the time. Ignored it and hoped for the best. I was going on vacation for two weeks the next day.

Came back from vacation, drove the car and now the front speakers are not working (the sub is still working) I tested this by moving the music to the front and back. Back was fine, front you could only hear the bass. There are no Seatbelt chimes or audio from phone calls either, both things that play from the front speakers.

From what I can tell, there's three possibilities:

1. A wiring harness issue that led to the speakers cutting out for some reason. I'm not sure whether this is it because the rear speakers also cut out, but they're working now. The reason I think this is because the front subwoofer and rear speakers are still working.

2. The front speakers are all blown out. Super unlikely for that to happen to all of them at once, but I guess it's a possibility?

3. My amp is on the fritz and the rest of the speakers are probably gonna go soon too. Hoping this isn't it, but I have a feeling this is the one.

Anyone have any idea on how I could go about trouble shooting/fixing this? or if they might know where to look or who to ask. I'm at a loss here.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #2
bunnypv
Rep
Drives: F10 2010 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow View Post
Trying to diagnose and correct an issue with my speakers. Wondering if anyone here knows what's up.

Car is a 2016 BMW 535d with the Harmon Kardon sound system.

A few weeks ago, I was parked listening to music in my car when suddenly the music cut out and there was a ton of static. Turned the car off, restarted, and I THINK the speakers were fine for the drive home. Thinking back, it may have just been the rear speakers, but I didn't notice at the time. Ignored it and hoped for the best. I was going on vacation for two weeks the next day.

Came back from vacation, drove the car and now the front speakers are not working (the sub is still working) I tested this by moving the music to the front and back. Back was fine, front you could only hear the bass. There are no Seatbelt chimes or audio from phone calls either, both things that play from the front speakers.

From what I can tell, there's three possibilities:

1. A wiring harness issue that led to the speakers cutting out for some reason. I'm not sure whether this is it because the rear speakers also cut out, but they're working now. The reason I think this is because the front subwoofer and rear speakers are still working.

2. The front speakers are all blown out. Super unlikely for that to happen to all of them at once, but I guess it's a possibility?

3. My amp is on the fritz and the rest of the speakers are probably gonna go soon too. Hoping this isn't it, but I have a feeling this is the one.

Anyone have any idea on how I could go about trouble shooting/fixing this? or if they might know where to look or who to ask. I'm at a loss here.
Hi, to start off with, you mentioned that the rear speakers cut out initially, and then the front.

there could be a few possibilities, but let us start by checking for errors by connecting it to ISTA or any such via the OBDII port.

Visually inspect the wiring harness at the amp (inside the boot padding), focus on the wires coming from the amp, check for any signs of them being worn out and are touching any bare metal or each other.

If you are comfortable, check by swapping the speakers, although the door speakers are larger, the connectors are the same. Do not connect anything to the front wiring, just check the door and the center speaker (if you have it), to any one speaker in the rear. To save time, open up only one rear grill speaker and check the other speakers by connecting it to that.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
Shamwow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d xDrive

I don't have ISTA but I'll connect a code reader and see if I get anything. I'll also inspect the amp and update.

I want to clarify, and add updated info. Initially all the speakers cut out. Now only the front and mid speakers are NOT playing audio. Referencing the diagram below, speakers 5, 15, and 8-12 are working.

The rest of the speakers ( 1-4, 6, 7, 13, 14, 16, 17) are playing static intermittently now, even if there is no audio playing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shamwow; 08-27-2023 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: added image twice accidentally
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
bunnypv
Rep
Drives: F10 2010 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow View Post
I don't have ISTA but I'll connect a code reader and see if I get anything. I'll also inspect the amp and update.

I want to clarify, and add updated info. Initially all the speakers cut out. Now only the front and mid speakers are NOT playing audio. Referencing the diagram below, speakers 5, 15, and 8-12 are working.

The rest of the speakers ( 1-4, 6, 7, 13, 14, 16, 17) are playing static intermittently now, even if there is no audio playing.
This could be a software issue as well. like you said, check with a code reader and check. Also visually inspect the wiring at the amp (10 from the diag). from the sound of it, it looks like the speakers are fine, but there doesnt seem to be any output from the amp. Check if by any chance, there maybe waterlogging where the amp is located.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
zrile
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320xd

Hi folks! I have different issue. 520d 10/2016, radio is harman kardon, i have seen it few days ago when i was polishing my idrive screen. And after that, i realized that central dashboard speaker with tweeter is not working. Tested od diagnoatics,, no errors on hifi or any other module.... speaker does not have any cables except two wires in and from speaker two wires out with some condensator i supose, under thermal cable to tweeter. Is there anything i can see or test, or change setting from hifi to harman kardon in coding? Is it available only with harman kardon setting? Can anyone guide me, as i am not into music and speaker systems in car audio....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0