2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) 2013 550 xDrive ordering changes that are frustrating

07-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
cordoor
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi

2013 550 xDrive ordering changes that are frustrating

I'm close to upgrading my 2008 535xi to a 550 xDrive. I've been pricing things out online and figured out exactly what I want.

Until now, you could order the sport package and paddle shifters. I liked the sport package instead of the M-sport package because:

1. I don't like the spokes in the rims of the M-sport.

2. I don't like the dark grey "underwear" that shows at the bottom of the bumper on the back of the car.

3. I don't like the M badging.

With 2013, you can't get the paddler shifters without the M-sport package (there is no sport package). This is a major bummer for me because of the above two reasons.

Has anyone had experience yet ordering a "special" configuration (e.g. paddle shifters without M-sport, or M-sport but still getting the same-sized regular rims)?

-Corey7
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I don't think Bmw allows you to custom mix and match options if its not offered. Your best option is to find a 2012 model as closely spec'ed as possible.

Luckily your reason for not wanting the Msport package is easy to fix.

1) i'm pretty sure you would not have a problem finding a local person to swap wheels with you for your Msport wheels

2) You can get the rear diffuser part painted for less $200 or get it wrapped in whatever color you like for even less.

3) Most of the M badging is on the inside of the car so not a huge deal

Personally i think the Msport is a must because the car looks better (subjective) and it will no doubt help resale value of the vehicle.

Alan
      07-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
cordoor
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi

I agree the front of the car with M sport looks better.

I'll research painting/covering the back portion. That's a good idea.

I could definitely live with the M-sport if I could resolve the back.

Thanks for the idea.

-Corey
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Yes the rear portion that you don't like comes off the bumper with only a few tabs holding it in place. Since it is a flat piece it is very easy for you or a shop to buy some gloss black vinyl and wrap it. Another member did the same thing but he used black carbonfiber vinyl instead. There was a member on here (launchcontrol) selling the sport wheels you like with tires. Brand new take off from the dealer. You can possibly pick up his set and sell the Msport wheels for the same cost.

Alan