2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Need feedback on Megan Racing axle back exhausts

03-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #23
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013F10 View Post
Got the Megan Racing Supremo system installed today and am very impressed. The sound is low and clean but definitely gives a good growl and increases the sound of the turbo. The only real drone is at low RPM's, like at stop lights, but it's very minor. You hear it inside at slow speeds but the engine and exhaust sound balance out throughout the rev range, cruising on the highway and you hardly know it's there. If you want to hear the exhaust at all times this system might be a little tame for you, but I bought this car for quiet and comfortable driving.

I would not try and install it yourself unless you have exhaust tooling like tubing expanders and welding equipment. The sections that mate up with the OEM exhaust do not have the same angles (See 2nd image), they are off my a few degrees so clamps would not be a good option. You're also working with a 2.5" system mating to 2.35" BMW pipes so you'll need to expand the Megan Racing pipes to slide over the BMW pipes. The chrome Megan Racing tips don't look good on my car IMO so I found some 4" carbon fiber tips on eBay to complete the look.

After I get my car cleaned I'll post more pics and sound clips of starting/driving.

Sound clip:

https://youtu.be/lYpEk0WTHZY
Looks great! Sounds great on start up. Looking forward to some more clips. Congrats!
      03-19-2020, 07:12 AM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Yes, stock everything except for the axle-back system.
turned out great
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #25
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi

The weather is supposed to be shit here this week so I'm going to hold off until next weekend to post more pics and sounds clips BUT I have to say I fucking love this system. It brought my 535 to life, it growls when I want it to and stays quiet when I'm cruising and want to listen to music or a podcast. From the dozens of YouTube videos I watched about the M Sport exhaust, I think the Megan Racing Supremo system is the closest comparison. An old exhaust installer told me that the best sounding cars have a balance between engine and exhaust sound when in the drivers seat. That balance is present most of the time, the exhaust is only louder than the engine at idle.

The only loud drone I've noticed occurs during cold starts in the garage (subwoofer enclosure effect), once I back out of the garage, and especially once it warms up, the drone reduces by 90% and it sounds really clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #26
zcali925
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW 535i M Sport

Quote:
The weather is supposed to be shit here this week so I'm going to hold off until next weekend to post more pics and sounds clips BUT I have to say I fucking love this system. It brought my 535 to life, it growls when I want it to and stays quiet when I'm cruising and want to listen to music or a podcast. From the dozens of YouTube videos I watched about the M Sport exhaust, I think the Megan Racing Supremo system is the closest comparison. An old exhaust installer told me that the best sounding cars have a balance between engine and exhaust sound when in the drivers seat. That balance is present most of the time, the exhaust is only louder than the engine at idle.

The only loud drone I've noticed occurs during cold starts in the garage (subwoofer enclosure effect), once I back out of the garage, and especially once it warms up, the drone reduces by 90% and it sounds really clean.
Did they modify the mufflers at all or straight install with the modifications you mentioned before. Can't wait to hear more clips put it up against magnaflow which I'm leaning toward albeit expensive compared to Megan. Had it on my e46 with a resonator removed and I loved the sound of my old engine.
      03-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #27
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcali925 View Post
Did they modify the mufflers at all or straight install with the modifications you mentioned before. Can't wait to hear more clips put it up against magnaflow which I'm leaning toward albeit expensive compared to Megan. Had it on my e46 with a resonator removed and I loved the sound of my old engine.
It was a straight install, no other mods included. Exhaust that is crazy loud and crackles and pops the whole time is obnoxious to me, IMO this Megan Racing setup is a good pairing with non-M 5's because the interior is still quiet when you want it to be.
Appreciate 2
EV8634.00
      03-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #28
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Sounds really good. Whenever I get around to this, I was planning on installing a new catless downpipe, and then having an exhaust shop mock up a new X-/H-pipe from the downpipe to the axle back with larger dia. piping so that everything would fit and there would be less back-pressure.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #29
JayBimmer83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
You got stock cat?
Yes, stock everything except for the axle-back system.
looks good man! you have the link for the tips you got?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #30
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBimmer83 View Post
looks good man! you have the link for the tips you got?
Here you go (sold individually):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-63...72.m2749.l2649

One word of caution: Their listings say to allow 0.5"-1.0" variance in diameter, which is ridiculous for 2.5"-4" tips. I don't see how they could be mounted on 2.5" tubing without an expander. My exhaust guy was able to expand them a bit and use a combination of clamps and spot welds to mount them. Before mounting them I masked off the carbon fiber and painted them with high heat black grill paint, I love how the black looks as opposed to stainless.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #31
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i MSport

Not sure why ebay has the black quad tip version at $1500 when on Megan's website they list it for $886 and it can be found on sites like this for $780.

https://www.vividracing.com/megan-ra...151462380.html

I'm also looking for a new exhaust but I fear that the Supremo for the 535i is not going to be enough of a change from stock to make it worth it. But the M6 variant someone posted earlier seems too aggressive? All the 535i variant clips Ive heard (youtube) seem awfully quiet. Granted my car is "FBO" w/ MHD Stage 2+ tune.

Here is a different version from that same guy. But w/ FBO W/ catless DP
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #32
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by naCAnItihS View Post

I'm also looking for a new exhaust but I fear that the Supremo for the 535i is not going to be enough of a change from stock to make it worth it. But the M6 variant someone posted earlier seems too aggressive? All the 535i variant clips Ive heard (youtube) seem awfully quiet. Granted my car is "FBO" w/ MHD Stage 2+ tune.
]
I mean if loud is what you want you can always just go muffler delete and call it a day lol.

I just put mine on (also FBO). It's quite comfortable to live with! There's drone but only at certain speeds with certain RPMs (which if you kick it to Sport mode it goes away most of the time).

Like 2013F10 said, there's that "subwoofer effect" at cold start. I describe it as being able to feel your pulse in your chest during cold start. Like 20 sec later when the RPMs drop it goes away to it's standard low rumble tone. I'm very happy with this setup!
      04-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go (sold individually):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-63...72.m2749.l2649

One word of caution: Their listings say to allow 0.5"-1.0" variance in diameter, which is ridiculous for 2.5"-4" tips. I don't see how they could be mounted on 2.5" tubing without an expander. My exhaust guy was able to expand them a bit and use a combination of clamps and spot welds to mount them. Before mounting them I masked off the carbon fiber and painted them with high heat black grill paint, I love how the black looks as opposed to stainless.
no issues with mine!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #34
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
I mean if loud is what you want you can always just go muffler delete and call it a day lol.

I just put mine on (also FBO). It's quite comfortable to live with! There's drone but only at certain speeds with certain RPMs (which if you kick it to Sport mode it goes away most of the time).

Like 2013F10 said, there's that "subwoofer effect" at cold start. I describe it as being able to feel your pulse in your chest during cold start. Like 20 sec later when the RPMs drop it goes away to it's standard low rumble tone. I'm very happy with this setup!
Haha I don't want it that loud! Mufflers are def required. I've had a ton of loud cars before. Last one was a fully built 400whp Subaru w/ EWG which was VTA.

Which muffler setup do you have? The Megan for 535i or M5/6?

Also you can shut that cold start air pump crap off with the MHD app. IDK about w/ JB4.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:46 AM   #35
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
no issues with mine!

What diffuser add on is that. Can u post some more pics?

Also if anyone is near la area and want to hear my supremo exhaust u can come by.
I have catless downpipes and m5 supremo axle back. I also added joipes so it doesnt drone. It got rid of almost all drone at 1.5k to 2.5k rev range.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #36
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Haha I don't want it that loud! Mufflers are def required. I've had a ton of loud cars before. Last one was a fully built 400whp Subaru w/ EWG which was VTA.

Which muffler setup do you have? The Megan for 535i or M5/6?

Also you can shut that cold start air pump crap off with the MHD app. IDK about w/ JB4.
LOL. I have Megans for an F06, single tips so definitely not the M-version.

I wish!!! Unfortunately the cold start can only be deactivated via flash tunes. So I'll have to suck it up until I go MHD down the line.
      04-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #37
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
LOL. I have Megans for an F06, single tips so definitely not the M-version.

I wish!!! Unfortunately the cold start can only be deactivated via flash tunes. So I'll have to suck it up until I go MHD down the line.
Ah that's unfortunate..

What is the draw to the 6 Series exhaust? Even the guy in that video is running the M6 version. Why not the M5? I see that the F06 version is like much cheaper vs the 535i one.. $450 vs $676 or $886 (of course the one I want is the most expensive..).
      04-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #38
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah that's unfortunate..

What is the draw to the 6 Series exhaust? Even the guy in that video is running the M6 version. Why not the M5? I see that the F06 version is like much cheaper vs the 535i one.. $450 vs $676 or $886 (of course the one I want is the most expensive..).
from when i was looking to getting these done at the time before buying my Meisterschaft's the 535i and M5 Megan's only came with 3.5 tips whereas the F06 came with 4" tips. not a direct fit to the 535i but i was gonna have my muffler shop modify the piping to make it fit. i'd have to confirm the Megan's for the M5 as this was from a few years ago when i was doing this

edit: went back to my history when i made a post but now Megan M5's come with 4" tips. a few years ago tho, the Megan's for the 535i and M5 only came with 3.5" tips. and the M6 had quad 4" tips. after checking ebay listings they finally made the Megan M5 with 4" tips but the prices are much cheaper than before. except for the black version, that chit is $1400 wth?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-17-2020 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #39
naCAnItihS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
from when i was looking to getting these done at the time before buying my Meisterschaft's the 535i and M5 Megan's only came with 3.5 tips whereas the F06 came with 4" tips. not a direct fit to the 535i but i was gonna have my muffler shop modify the piping to make it fit. i'd have to confirm the Megan's for the M5 as this was from a few years ago when i was doing this

edit: went back to my history when i made a post but now Megan M5's come with 4" tips. a few years ago tho, the Megan's for the 535i and M5 only came with 3.5" tips. and the M6 had quad 4" tips. after checking ebay listings they finally made the Megan M5 with 4" tips but the prices are much cheaper than before. except for the black version, that chit is $1400 wth?
Ah ok makes sense now. The ebay pricing is crazy right now for whatever reason. Buying them direct from Megan's website or any other vendor they are all appropriate prices.
      04-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #40
MDF10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535i M-Sport

How's the drone and quality of noise with the Megan m5 mufflers on a 535i? Don't want it to sound ricer
Attached Images

18% tint-gloss black dual slat front grille and gloss black door handle insert-gloss black M5 style rear spoiler-IND gloss black fender trim-IND painted front reflector-Goldenwrench Supply Co. tail light overlay kit
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:09 AM   #41
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
Ah ok makes sense now. The ebay pricing is crazy right now for whatever reason. Buying them direct from Megan's website or any other vendor they are all appropriate prices.
On ebay when the price is that high that means it is out of stock. They do it deliberately so u dont bid or buy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #42
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

I bought and installed mine about a year ago and they are very decent quality mufflers especially for the price. But as listed above I wouldn't install these yourself. Reason being that the figment is just barely off and although I was able to get it fitted the tips are not aligned in the cutouts for the stock diffuser. You would need this professionally done in order to get it to fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #43
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Also to note as well. If you are going catless and are planning on tuning the car. Then the sound is perfect! I have a catless down pipe and these and sounds very similarity to having a muffler delete and the cats being on. For me that was the best of both performance, comfort, and sound. I had straight pipes before and it was just way too loud
Appreciate 0