2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone Here Able to Create 3D Printing Files?

07-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
wrdriggs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport

Anyone Here Able to Create 3D Printing Files?

Hey guys, looking to see if anyone here knows how to make 3D printing files. I have a good friend who works for a company that sells 3D printing machines so I am able to get the files printed, but looking to see if someone here could make the file?

I currently own a RennLine Mount, and dont care for it at all.

I am looking to make a flush mounted bracket that would tuck behind one of the panels (not sure what one yet) similar to a PanaVise mount, see below (generic photo). I woulnt need the holes on the face of the mount, as i would just put a sticky magnet on it.

I searched on a few 3D printing sites that users are able to upload their own files, but didnt seem to find anything.

Anyone willing to take on a project with me?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Why 3D print? 3D printed parts that thin probably won't be all that strong, and will eventually crack at the bends. It seems easier to just go to home depot, buy some sheet metal and sheet metal snips, and do it that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
wrdriggs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Why 3D print? 3D printed parts that thin probably won't be all that strong, and will eventually crack at the bends. It seems easier to just go to home depot, buy some sheet metal and sheet metal snips, and do it that way.
Thanks for you input - looking for a fun little project if anyone was willing. We're able to print using carbon fiber so I'm not worried about the strength of it. As long as you're not slamming your phone on it, I don't see if breaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdriggs View Post
Hey guys, looking to see if anyone here knows how to make 3D printing files.
Google SketchUp (or now Trimble's SketchUp) can be used to make a 3D model in a file format such as .vrml that many 3D printers can use. You would need to get from your friend the file types that his machine accepts, and then create a simple 3D model using SketchUp and export the model to a 3D printer-compatible file type.

If you can lay out (on paper) the dimensions and design of what you want, I could easily create a SketchUp model for you and send it your way in the appropriate (if available) file type.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
wrdriggs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Google SketchUp (or now Trimble's SketchUp) can be used to make a 3D model in a file format such as .vrml that many 3D printers can use. You would need to get from your friend the file types that his machine accepts, and then create a simple 3D model using SketchUp and export the model to a 3D printer-compatible file type.

If you can lay out (on paper) the dimensions and design of what you want, I could easily create a SketchUp model for you and send it your way in the appropriate (if available) file type.
Awesome!

The file type needs to be a .STL, would that work?Let me know.

If we continue further, we have take to PM's.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdriggs View Post
Awesome!
The file type needs to be a .STL, would that work?Let me know.
Yep. I'll look for your PM. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

is this idea patented???