2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Bav Autosport VANOS - Update w/pics

01-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
sszablya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550xi

Bav Autosport VANOS - Update w/pics

It looks like I need to do the VANOS solenoids on my N63. I’m getting an code for “cold start, position not reached” on one of the solenoids. Good news is it should be easy to replace while I’m upgrading my intercoolers and turbos.

I was planning to buy Pierburg solenoids but I saw that ECS offers Bavarian Autosport solenoids. Anyone know if they’re any good? They’re about $30 less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:05 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I replaced mine on my n55 with genuine ones because I thought I read a few places online where people had issues with other aftermarket ones when trying to save money.

That said, I think Pierburg is the original manufacturer of that component, so it should be the exact same besides the BMW stamping from what I understand. I didn’t see that option when I was looking to replace mine, but if that was an option when I was looking, I probably would have tried them first.

I never tried any besides the genuine BMW ones myself, so I can’t comment on any potential issues.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
sszablya
Private
Rep

I saw the Pierburg solenoids on FCP. I went ahead and ordered the Bav Auto solenoids from ECS, though. It’s not that big a deal to change them out but I’m hopeful they’ll last at least a couple of years.

I saw on a website that the screen filters on the solenoids can be removed. Is that just for cleaning/refreshing the solenoid, or is operating without the screens recommended?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sszablya View Post
I saw the Pierburg solenoids on FCP. I went ahead and ordered the Bav Auto solenoids from ECS, though. It’s not that big a deal to change them out but I’m hopeful they’ll last at least a couple of years.

I saw on a website that the screen filters on the solenoids can be removed. Is that just for cleaning/refreshing the solenoid, or is operating without the screens recommended?
I wouldn’t want to remove the screens and run the car. They are there to protect the system from debris in the oil. Believe the idea is to clean them or change screens only. Could be wrong there, just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #5
sszablya
Private
Rep

I am not sure what I should have been expecting but I think I wasn’t expecting a made-in-china stamp on the box.

Not that products from China are inferior per se… but whenever I see this typeface on the “made in” label, I cringe a little.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 12:00 AM   #6
sszablya
Private
Rep

Finally got around to changing these out. I had a hell of a time with the Bav Autosport units.

I’m a pretty big guy and I couldn’t push hard enough to seat the units with the included o-ring. I finally put a borescope into the exhaust vanos bore while trying to push in the intake vanos solenoid, so I could observe what was making it so dang difficult to seat. Turns out, the inner o-ring was a different diameter than the OEM o-ring. See the pics below- it should be pretty self explanatory.

I ended up picking the o-ring off the old solenoids and installing them in the new solenoids. The solenoids popped right in with an appropriate amount of friction.

Now, the question remains if the inner o-ring will leak into the timing cover.

Im tempted to go ahead and run this setup and see if it works- but would love to hear feedback on my approach with the o-rings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
EV8634.00
      04-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

You can buy the o-rings new from BMW

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4451
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #8
sszablya
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
You can buy the o-rings new from BMW
Thank you for the link.

I was planning on just running the old o-rings because they seem fine, but earlier today I opened a reply to your post and my first sentence started, “I’m probably going to regret this, but…”

Then I re-read my post and smacked my forehead. I picked up a set of new o-rings an hour later. Lol

I feel obliged to also post the outcome. See below for the comparison. The Bav Auto seals on the left, the used OEM seal in the center, and the new OEM seal on the right.

The used rings are squared or flattened around the outer circumference, indicating that they likely would have allowed oil past and reduced the efficacy of the new solenoids.

The new seals went on the solenoids and the solenoids into the bore with a satisfying pop.

Getting new o-rings was the right call here.

So- if you’re considering the $85 Bavavarian Autosport solenoids, also go ahead and purchase the o-rings p/n 11367561852. Buy them online where they’re $8 and not at the dealer where they’re $9-$18.

When I get the motor back together, I’ll report back on their functionality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 10:52 PM   #9
sszablya
Private
Rep

The TIS procedure (11 36 720) for the right side VANOS solenoid replacement states, “Release holder for electropneumatic pressure converter (EPPC) and carefully press to one side.”

It took me a minute to figure out that this mount is held on with three bolts. One bolt is removed when removing the intercoolers. The other two bolts are obscured from a normal viewing position.

What BMW means is, “use a pry bar to bend the pressure converter mount out of the way.”

See illustration below.

Installation torque for the solenoid mount bolt is 10nm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 11:59 PM   #10
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

To be clear, the o-rings you need are parts 3 and 4 in that link, not just 4. 3 is the o-ring set at the top, 4 is the one at the base of the solenoid.

Glad it helped, though!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 11:54 PM   #11
sszablya
Private
Rep

Less than 50 miles in, and the solenoids seem to be performing as expected.

When it comes to solenoids (which are electromagnetic actuated devices), I suspect the quality is revealed in the initial ability to function without causing an ECU-error and the longetivity of the device.

I will try and update the thread when I’ve put some mileage and years on the solenoids, but at this point the long-term quality remains unknown.

Key initial reactions:
  • The inner o-ring of the Bavarian Autosport VANOS Solenoid is not the correct size for the solenoid bore of the N63 and this could cause fitment issues and frustration.
  • The solenoids seem to resolve VANOS-adjustment related codes.
  • The longetivity of the solenoids is unknown.

Recommendation:
  • Use the OEM Pierburg solenoids.
Appreciate 0