2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Opinions on Run Flats?

09-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
DaWhole9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535i, 1976 BMW 2002

Opinions on Run Flats?

This is my first car with run flats. I thought the idea was great until today when i got a flat. From a safety standpoint they were awesome. I knew i had a flat very quickly. The dash told me which tire. I had plenty if time to get iff the freeway and get the car to a safe place. I got out of the car and heard the air escaping the tire. Apple Maps told me Americas Tire was less than a mile away. They closed in 30 min. Got the car there without an issue and the tire looked perfect still. They repaired the tire and i was on my way in under an hour and it was free. Dont know why, didnt question it lol. My guess is the previous owner purchased the tires from them maybe? I have only had the car about 3 weeks. A spare would have let me continue to my destination, my sons Back To School Night. I missed it because of having to get it fixed versus throwing the spare on it. On the flip side it allowed me to get the car to safety and not be on a freeway trying to change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Run flat is bumpy and noisy.

If you care for a spare tire, it is an option.
https://bimmerzone.com/collections/b...ncy-spare-tire
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #3
slackworth
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d F11 LCI

Get rid of them!

I did this recently and the best thing I've ever done - the old tyres are expensive, noisy, bumpy and attract sidewall bulges at the drop of a hat! There's plenty of cars on the road these days which have no spare and just the obligatory can of gunk. A spare is an option but it means carrying it in the boot which is too big to do all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I'll be the dissenter. I switched from the Michelin ROFs to Pilot Sport SS(?). I didn't like them at all as they felt squishy and lacked turn-in. I messed a bit with the pressures and it didn't help. When they wore out I replaced them with the factory Michelin ROFs and am completely satisfied. On our 2012 535i I installed Bridgestone Driveguards and I liked them a lot.

Our G30 (540i) came with Continental ROFs and they seem fine as well. We'll have to see about longevity.

Seems to me there's a wide range of quality between the different brands of ROFs.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #5
BillionYou
Rep
Drives: f10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I'll be the dissenter. I switched from the Michelin ROFs to Pilot Sport SS(?). I didn't like them at all as they felt squishy and lacked turn-in. I messed a bit with the pressuresMaybe problem and it didn't help. When they wore out I replaced them with the factory Michelin ROFs and am completely satisfied. On our 2012 535i I installed Bridgestone Driveguards and I liked them a lot.

Our G30 (540i) came with Continental ROFs and they seem fine as well. We'll have to see about longevity.

Seems to me there's a wide range of quality between the different brands of ROFs.
I thought more lbs on wheels make car run slower. How much it weight? (Rof vs pilot sport as)?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

One issue with runflats is they are internally damaged by driving on them while deflated, and this damage is not always visible even when removing the tire from the wheel for inspection.

If you have driven on a deflated runflat tire for any distance it's a good idea to replace it. Also, buying used ROF tires is a bad idea because you never know their history.

My 535d had 3/4 original ROF tires in unsafe condition which was not visible without putting the car in the air, the inner sidewalls were deteriorating. These were the 20" Bridgestones. I'm not sure if they were run at low pressure (I bought the car used uncertified) or if is just how they wear over time.

OP, you may be ok if the tire still had some air pressure when you arrived to get it fixed, and hopefully the shop took this into account before fixing the tire.
Appreciate 0