2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Electric seats not working/partially

03-30-2023, 11:19 PM   #23
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
ex46fanatic , same applies....

If you don't make any progress, I'd recommend that you'd consider using ISTA+ test plan. Pull your ISTA+ BMW error codes, then run the "test plan" corresponding to your seat LIN error only. It should eventually require you to run your seat calibration, and if your seat still can't move, I'd look at getting a new seat switch block off of Ebay...but get the right one. Pre-LCI is not the same as LCI seats.

Keep posting your progress.

Cheers.
Unfortunately new used switch block made no change. I'm going to try swapping modules over next. Really don't want to buy another whole used seat.

ISTA says check lin bus wire (I've replaced the whole dam seat wiring loom), check switch block (replaced no change), then it says check power to the switch block. This I have not done.

Really annoyed with myself, all because a drinks can made a small hole and liquid squirted out slowly under my seat.

Thinking I should go back to basics and check the fuses again. May even end up getting another seat module.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 09:57 PM   #24
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex46fanatic View Post
Unfortunately new used switch block made no change. I'm going to try swapping modules over next. Really don't want to buy another whole used seat.

ISTA says check lin bus wire (I've replaced the whole dam seat wiring loom), check switch block (replaced no change), then it says check power to the switch block. This I have not done.

Really annoyed with myself, all because a drinks can made a small hole and liquid squirted out slowly under my seat.

Thinking I should go back to basics and check the fuses again. May even end up getting another seat module.
To summarize, regarding your passanger seat:

1. You replace the whole wiring loom in the seat?
2. You ran ISTA+ and cleared codes, and seat still doesn't move, but does heat up?
3. You replaced the switch block?

....and still no seat movement

So....
1. You have no ABS errors, correct?
2. You initially got seat movement after you soda incident, but not since, correct?

Do you know the condition of your seat motors?
Do you know the condiiton of your hall sensors on your seat?
DO you have a known good ground to your seat motors?

Have you applied 12VDC directly to your seat motor to see if they operate?

I am sort of looking for more options for you before you have to pull the trigger on buying a new "used" seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #25
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Thank you so much for your guidance: Answered below.

To summarize, regarding your passanger seat:

1. You replace the whole wiring loom in the seat? YES - wasn't too difficult to do to be honest. Same problem after replacement.

2. You ran ISTA+ and cleared codes, and seat still doesn't move, but does heat up? YES, heating works AND lumbar control works (the seats are comfort seats). Ista does not recognise the movement buttoms being pressed.
3. You replaced the switch block? YES - no change with used switch block.

....and still no seat movement

So....
1. You have no ABS errors, correct? Correct no seat belt/abs errors (i had them when i initially fitted the used seats - they disappeared after i transferred a few parts from my old seat to the used seat)

2. You initially got seat movement after you soda incident, but not since, correct? Straight after the soda incident the seat was fine - it was after I REMOVED the seat, cleaned the mess, and REINSTALLED seat that the problem began.

Do you know the condition of your seat motors? - I can only assume they are ok.

Do you know the condiiton of your hall sensors on your seat? I know nothing about hall sensors or their locations on the seat but happy to learn/investigate.

DO you have a known good ground to your seat motors?

Have you applied 12VDC directly to your seat motor to see if they operate?

I am sort of looking for more options for you before you have to pull the trigger on buying a new "used" seat.

The above 3 comments i will have a go at - especially applying 12v to the seat motors.

Thank you again !
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #26
550iboo
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 328i

what cable should I buy for my 2014 550I with PC to use ISTA to move controls? Having same issue was OP
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:15 PM   #27
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iboo View Post
what cable should I buy for my 2014 550I with PC to use ISTA to move controls? Having same issue was OP
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 07:10 PM   #28
550iboo
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Got ista downloaded and able to access and read diagnostics.

Still not sure how OP was moving the seat manually through ista? What menu would that be under?
Appreciate 0