2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum 530GT eats brake disks

12-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
niggle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport GT

530GT eats brake disks

Looking for some advice here. Two years ago I bought a used, 2013-plate 530GT. All was fine for a few months, and then the brake pedal started vibrating when the brakes were applied. In 2015, with only 13,000 miles on the clock, the brake disks and pads were replaced under warranty.

This cured the problem until early 2016, when the same thing happened again. Again the disks were replaced under warranty, after only 17,000 miles.

And then again a few weeks ago, again under warranty, after 20,000 miles.

The dealer has told me that this is the last time they'll replace the disks free of charge, even though these parts have a 2-year warranty.

Since it's more than likely to happen a fourth/fifth/... time, I'd really like to know why. They've checked the calipers, and they're not binding. Could it be the tracking that's not aligned? Any other suggestions? Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Perhaps the technicians aren't properly bedding the new brakes after the install. You should be getting at least 30K miles out of a set of disks and pads with typical daily driving. What are your driving habits like?
      01-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
niggle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport GT

Thanks. I don't know if they're bedding the new disks. How is that done?

All I'd say is that each time, the disks seem fine for a few months, and only then start to warp.

Driving habits. Well, every time they change the disks, they tell me to brake gently for an unspecified period. Regardless, on a scale of 1 to 10 of aggressive driving, I'm probably a 2. And low mileage, mix of motorway and local driving. If the disks are over-heating, it's certainly not due to my driving style.

Maybe this 3rd set of disks will survive 30k miles, or maybe history will keep repeating itself and I'll have to sell the car
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
frantzy
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i Gran Turismo

For what it's worth I have 162k original miles on my 535i GT and have had no issues with premature brake wear. I drive much less aggressively than my prior 335 or my wife's Audi A4 though. I also drive way more highway miles than city.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I think you'll find that the mileage and driving style is actually too low and light.
Basically, when the car is parked up - especially after wet weather - you'll see the following day that the discs are all red and rusty. If your mileage is low, or your braking really gentle, then you never get rid of that rust, and it eats into the discs, then leading to the pads wearing out unevenly. Proper braking puts heat into the discs and pads, rubs off that surface corrosion before it starts to eat into the metal.
Appreciate 0