2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 550x i-drive "attempted shift" warning... can't find a single thread

06-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
The TRG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix Black Sapphire

Hi all-

I was out test driving a 2014 550x i-drive today and I saw the strangest warning pop up! It was a red screen on the I drive display that something to the effect of: "attempted shift detected without pressing unlock button".

Here's the issue though... I was just driving in sport shift mode (hadn't shifted manually though) I hadn't touched the shifter at all. A bit later as I accelerated into the freeway it did it again. I switched out of sport automatic (shifter the lever back right) and the error didn't occur again. The dealer and I went back out and I couldn't get the error to reproduce. Could I have had the shifter somehow not pulled all the way to the left or something?

I've googled excessively and I can't even find an image of the error..... I even read the manual pdf trying to find it. This is an Audi dealer so they don't have the knowledge base to be a lot of help.

Anyone ever see this?!?! Thanks for your help as I have an agreement in place and am hoping to go pick it up Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The TRG View Post
Hi all-

I was out test driving a 2014 550x i-drive today and I saw the strangest warning pop up! It was a red screen on the I drive display that something to the effect of: "attempted shift detected without pressing unlock button".

Here's the issue though... I was just driving in sport shift mode (hadn't shifted manually though) I hadn't touched the shifter at all. A bit later as I accelerated into the freeway it did it again. I switched out of sport automatic (shifter the lever back right) and the error didn't occur again. The dealer and I went back out and I couldn't get the error to reproduce. Could I have had the shifter somehow not pulled all the way to the left or something?

I've googled excessively and I can't even find an image of the error..... I even read the manual pdf trying to find it. This is an Audi dealer so they don't have the knowledge base to be a lot of help.

Anyone ever see this?!?! Thanks for your help as I have an agreement in place and am hoping to go pick it up Monday.
Wonder if it were just a fluke. Only way you would get that error is if in non sport mode trying to put car from park to drive or such shift. Perhaps just a glitch that occured?
      06-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I have seen it but only by my mistake.
The only time is it I tried going from park to gear without the button.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
The TRG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340ix Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I have seen it but only by my mistake.
The only time is it I tried going from park to gear without the button.
I've seen that on my '11 535 but it's a small warning on the dash... this was a full screen deal in the idrive. Maybe because this car has the larger screen?
Appreciate 0