2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Serpentine belt replacement

06-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Mark444444
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI BMW 535i msport

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 m60  [0.00]
Serpentine belt replacement

Hi All,
Today, while doing 80 mph on the PA turnpike in my 2014 535 I felt a weird snap and rubber flopping feeling on the driver's side. Thought it might be a tire but it wasn't. All of a sudden I had a charging malfunction warning followed by loss of AC, loss of power steering and a limited chassis function warning. I managed to limp the car to the dealership which was six miles away. From everything I've read, this is a serpentine belt, a very common bugaboo for this engine. My question is has anyone had something similar happen, and if so, how much did the bill wind up being? Also, at 126k miles, do I have any recourse because it's a known issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark444444 View Post
Hi All,
Today, while doing 80 mph on the PA turnpike in my 2014 535 I felt a weird snap and rubber flopping feeling on the driver's side. Thought it might be a tire but it wasn't. All of a sudden I had a charging malfunction warning followed by loss of AC, loss of power steering and a limited chassis function warning. I managed to limp the car to the dealership which was six miles away. From everything I've read, this is a serpentine belt, a very common bugaboo for this engine. My question is has anyone had something similar happen, and if so, how much did the bill wind up being? Also, at 126k miles, do I have any recourse because it's a known issue?

Thanks!
You must have an X-Drive as the RWD F10 has electric power steering with no connection to the serpentine belt. Serpentine belts "failing" are a "known issue" on EVERY car that has one. There is no real difference between a serpentine belt and the old fan belts. It is a maintenance item and should be inspected regularly and changed at the first sight of wear. Hopefully the belt debris didn't get sucked into engine through the front seal.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Replaced my entire belt drive system as preventative at 100k. It’s good practice on any car at this mileage and includes replacing the idler pulleys.

I would highly recommend replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys when having the belt replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

What's "special" about the N55 and a few other BMW engines, is that it's not just a normal serpentine belt failure.

First, the common failure item of the oil filter housing gasket can lead to oil leaking all over the belt, tensioner and nearby coolant hoses etc... This leaking oil causes the belt to fail faster than it normally would. (But there's still lots of warning)

When the belt breaks, it's very common for it to get wound up behind the main pulley and belt shrapnel gets forced through the front main seal and into the timing chain and oil pan.

This is a big deal.

You really, really don't want a belt failure on these engines because the collateral damage could mean a new engine, or thousands in labour to recover all of the pieces of belt.

There's lots of threads on this. Check your belts and pulleys! Watch for OFHG leaks!
Appreciate 0