2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63TU VANOS fault 131401

06-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
rrmadore
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

N63TU VANOS fault 131401

I purchased a 2016 550i MSport (off lease) in January, 2019 with 23K miles and yes, I'm madly in love with it. I've put about 4K miles on it since then. Last week I started the car in the morning and the whole car started shaking and the engine stuttered really bad. A warning displayed stating powertrain malfunction to operate engine moderately. I used the diagnosis tool to notify BMW. I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes, then started it up again just fine. I drove it for a few miles with no probs and then to the dealership later that day. The service rep told me the VANOS fault code 131401 cleared and the SIB says to check VANOS integration and if good, do nothing. So tech checked and everything was good, I got the car back.

Today the car did the same thing, cold start shaking and stutter and same warning display. I shut the car off and turned on and it was fine. I scheduled appt with dealer to bring car in on Monday. Today while driving the car, I pulled out into traffic from a side street and the engine stuttered for about 1 sec when I initially accelerated. Also, when parked in my garage the car emits a moderate engine oil smell.

Anyone else have experiences like this? Any advice, warnings, or helpful information is appreciated.

I see there is a new class action suit filed a few days ago for the N63TU, hoping I didn't get myself into a mess with this purchase. Although there is plenty of warranty left on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

You're killing me... what happened at the dealer the second time? Been resolved? I also have a 2016 550i CPO that I got in Feb and now have 35k miles. I only got it after reading how much better the tu motor was supposed to be. Love the car but am constantly worried about a major malfunction when I am stomping the gas and loving the acceleration. That never occurred when I had my 535i (after 4 years in a 335i). I'm even dealing with 13-14 mpg ok. Still thinking of dropping a couple of grand on an extended warranty just for piece of mind. (Got one on my wife's Ford Edge pre-owned when we bought it and has been a godsend. Replaced electronic dash controls, touch screen, back up camera, and when I mentioned oil seepage on the motor that I saw during oil change (~86k miles) while in for the camera, they pulled the motor/trans to fix two leaks. Only cost $100 deductible.)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
You're killing me... what happened at the dealer the second time? Been resolved? I also have a 2016 550i CPO that I got in Feb and now have 35k miles. I only got it after reading how much better the tu motor was supposed to be. Love the car but am constantly worried about a major malfunction when I am stomping the gas and loving the acceleration. That never occurred when I had my 535i (after 4 years in a 335i). I'm even dealing with 13-14 mpg ok. Still thinking of dropping a couple of grand on an extended warranty just for piece of mind. (Got one on my wife's Ford Edge pre-owned when we bought it and has been a godsend. Replaced electronic dash controls, touch screen, back up camera, and when I mentioned oil seepage on the motor that I saw during oil change (~86k miles) while in for the camera, they pulled the motor/trans to fix two leaks. Only cost $100 deductible.)
Who did you use for the warranty where you had that good experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
rrmadore
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

So, the 2nd time I brought the car to the dealer the dealer said the car hasn't had a software update since 2015 and since that time there have been 4. So they updated the software and said it should fix the problem. This was about 2 weeks ago. The service rep also said that if it does it again they will start getting into mechanical work.

Yesterday the car started shaking and stuttering on cold start up and the warning light came on again. I have an appointment to bring it in tomorrow morning.

There's something obviously wrong with the engine, in particular the VANOS system. If I do keep this car past the original manufacturers warranty I'll have to buy an extended power train warranty THROUGH BMW. With the issues I'm having now and the history of the N63 & N63TU, oil consumption problems, class action for the N63, recent class action for N63TU, I'd be stupid not to get an extended warranty.

It's tough to spend $40K+ plus on a luxury BMW and have to live in fear of engine failure to the point where you're almost forced to buy an extended warranty for $3500+. Prior to purchasing this car I didn't know the history of the N63 engine problems. I'm almost to the point of regretting not getting into the S6.

Is anyone else having VANOS problems with a 16' 550i?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
SoCal550
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I also just bought a 2016 550i m sport w/22k miles am starting to get nervous about something similar happening to mine.

It is consuming a TON of oil. I had to put in 2 quarts after only 2000 miles .
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Who did you use for the warranty where you had that good experience?
Dont know. Through the Ford dealer when we bought it.

Had one from Warranty Direct that replaced the engine and turbo in my Saab Viggen years ago (cracked a piston). Took them about 4 months of screwing around before they agreed to pay (had a 3rd car at the time so little impact to me) but it covered about $8k bill for a $2400 policy.
Appreciate 0