2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Power Liftgate Closes but won't lock

07-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

Power Liftgate Closes but won't lock

As usual, open the rear power liftgate, close it and it closes but doesn't lock. Tried a number of times. Locked the car, unlocked the car same result.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Many thanks,
Geoff
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Need a Priest...

Follow up. Boot seems to have fixed itself. So either the cable was sticky or the lock wasn't getting juice to close. Is this a symptom similar to a problem I had with another 5 Series where the electrical cables were getting frayed at the point between the rear lift gate and the body? No idea.

So it may be wear and tare on one of the locking parts, which would be a pain as looking at the ETK there seems to be a few options. So will see how we go and report back. If the problem comes back and no easy solution is at hand then I might resort to an Exorcist first, (would have to be cheaper than the dealer).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Problem Returns - Fixed!

After a few months of the tailgate operating without problem the problem returned.

This time I spent a bit of time looking at each component. The lock operated but was not securing the tailgate. When closed manually the lock engaged so it wasn't the mechanism.

So I tried something I should have done in the first place, I looked at the manual adjusters/stops on the tailgate itself. They looked to be quite extended so I dialled them in a few turns. Then tested the tailgate... which then worked perfectly... and again, again, all good. My own Homer Simpson moment. It never occurred to me to check the adjustment as I have never ever had to do that before. One was a bit loose which suggest why it worked some times and not others. The other needed a bit of effort to turn.
Appreciate 0