2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 19 Year Old buys 535i xDrive, here's his ownership experience!
View Poll Results: How old were you when you bought your 5er?
18-25 21 33.87%
25-35 16 25.81%
35-45 17 27.42%
45-55 7 11.29%
55+ 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

02-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Cool 19 Year Old buys 535i xDrive, here's his ownership experience!

Got hooked on BMW's when my older cousin got a brand new 330ci, and from the time I saw that car in person I was head over heels in love with BMWs, even though I am a hardcore JDM guy.

I had a 2007 530i that I bought in my senior year of high school which I loved dearly but sold with only 120k because I felt the mechatronics unit going and I didn't want to invest the money in parts. Sold it and broke even.

I then bought a 2012 Infiniti M56s that was fully loaded on my 19th birthday, kept it for 3 weeks while I continued to notice several egregious faults with the vehicle, eventually resulting in the dealership unwinding me out of the car because I no longer wanted it (hole in the floorboard!!!)

When I was shopping for another car, I refocused on the 5 Series, and I knew it had to be an F10... which is a strange car for a 19 year old to want. But I am a family oriented person, and wanted a nice car I could take my parents out in for dinner or go on a road trip and be comfortable. Thus F10.

I wanted either a 535i, and in my mind it HAD to be an M-Sport. That was my only real requirement. When I started browsing, I was shocked to see that the 550i's were in about the same price range as the 535i's I was looking for. Most of the cars in my budget were in the 50-60k mile range, which I thought would be pretty safe. I remember seeing so many tempting 550i's with pretty low mileage and very nicely optioned that I was watering at the mouth for... but for one reason or another I didn't buy.

My dad tells me he found a 535i for sale locally, and it was a 2011. I asked him to see the listing and when I saw the picture I immediately said "nope. not an M-Sport, I don't want it, I don't care. " but when he told me it only had 19k miles... I ended up buying that car out from under another client who had already put a deposit down on it.

So I am 19 years old, with a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive finished in Alpine White over Oyster Dakota Leather and Anthracite trim. Adaptive HID's, soft close doors, HiFi audio, Comfort Access II, Cold Weather Package, Backup Camera, PDC, iDrive Pro etc. etc.

But there's a problem. It's sitting on 18 inch Style 237 wheels, wrapped in Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires, and has that hideous base model 2011 front bumper. I knew all of that would change... in due time. I was just happy that I was able to find such an amazingly clean, low mileage car at such a young age.

Now, it sits on H&R Sport Springs, 666M Reps (ikik, sue me ), stopped by R1 Concept Carbon Geomet Rotors and Pads, K&N CAI, JB4 w/ Bluetooth module, VSRF Catless Downpipe, and finally did the M-Sport front bumper swap by Kies Motorsports, finished off with M4 Style Carbon Mirrors, M5 Style Carbon Fiber Kidney Grilles, and M5 Comp Style Rear Spoiler.

I couldn't be happier with the ownership experience I've had with this car. I have not had a single CEL, warning or fault pop up on the car since I have owned it. It always starts, even when it sits for 3 weeks because its no longer my daily driver. It goes through the gears beautifully, gets 28 mpg cruising on the highway, and has made me look WAY more wealthy than I actually am

It now has 43k miles, and I am planning to do some extensive servicing at the 50k miles mark, which will probably be towards the end of this year at the current rate of me driving it. Oil change, spark plugs, trans fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, coolant, filters, etc. I do not baby my car, if I do take it out for a drive, once its up to temps I definitely give it the beans, but I don't neglect it either. The N55 isn't the most powerful engine in the world, but it has proven to be pretty reliable and trouble free, and it certainly isn't lacking in power either.

I am SO glad I didn't let my young, power hungry brain pull the trigger on a 60k mile 550i pre-LCI... I'd probably be buried in repairs up to my neck!

Thanks for reading
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      02-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Here's a pic of my 07 530i, on Style 613m wheels (F10 528i M-Sport Wheels)
Attached Images

Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
WinstonE92xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

This is my midlife crisis car, got it with almost 52k now at 56k.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
My M56s 😔 it was fun while it lasted. 420hp from an NA 5.6L V8 and 245 section rear tires meant it had noooo problem lighting them up
Attached Images

Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonE92xi View Post
This is my midlife crisis car, got it with almost 52k now at 55k.
Looks good! I believe those are X5 wheels right? They fit pretty spot on! And that front bumper addition is pretty interesting but trust me when I say there's nothing like the M-Sport bumper swap. I paid a little over $500 for the kit from Kies Motorsports and it came with absolutely everything you'll need and suuuuper high quality stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
It's been a hell of a transformation 😍 from old man cruiser to sporty and sharp
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
WinstonE92xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonE92xi View Post
This is my midlife crisis car, got it with almost 52k now at 55k.
Looks good! I believe those are X5 wheels right? They fit pretty spot on! And that front bumper addition is pretty interesting but trust me when I say there's nothing like the M-Sport bumper swap. I paid a little over $500 for the kit from Kies Motorsports and it came with absolutely everything you'll need and suuuuper high quality stuff.
They are 21" style 311s from an F01 7series. 21x8.5 et25 front and 21x10 et41 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
My M56s 😔 it was fun while it lasted. 420hp from an NA 5.6L V8 and 245 section rear tires meant it had noooo problem lighting them up
Rare car. Love it. Last V8 to be put into a sedan by INFINITI. They are holding value too.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Quote:
Rare car. Love it. Last V8 to be put into a sedan by INFINITI. They are holding value too.
I miss it dearly, that power was intoxicating and I've got to say it had waaaay more options than my current car. But I'm glad things worked out the way they did because it had 110k miles and the BMW had 19k miles when I got it
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got hooked on BMW's when my older cousin got a brand new 330ci, and from the time I saw that car in person I was head over heels in love with BMWs, even though I am a hardcore JDM guy.

I had a 2007 530i that I bought in my senior year of high school which I loved dearly but sold with only 120k because I felt the mechatronics unit going and I didn't want to invest the money in parts. Sold it and broke even.

I then bought a 2012 Infiniti M56s that was fully loaded on my 19th birthday, kept it for 3 weeks while I continued to notice several egregious faults with the vehicle, eventually resulting in the dealership unwinding me out of the car because I no longer wanted it (hole in the floorboard!!!)

When I was shopping for another car, I refocused on the 5 Series, and I knew it had to be an F10... which is a strange car for a 19 year old to want. But I am a family oriented person, and wanted a nice car I could take my parents out in for dinner or go on a road trip and be comfortable. Thus F10.

I wanted either a 535i, and in my mind it HAD to be an M-Sport. That was my only real requirement. When I started browsing, I was shocked to see that the 550i's were in about the same price range as the 535i's I was looking for. Most of the cars in my budget were in the 50-60k mile range, which I thought would be pretty safe. I remember seeing so many tempting 550i's with pretty low mileage and very nicely optioned that I was watering at the mouth for... but for one reason or another I didn't buy.

My dad tells me he found a 535i for sale locally, and it was a 2011. I asked him to see the listing and when I saw the picture I immediately said "nope. not an M-Sport, I don't want it, I don't care. " but when he told me it only had 19k miles... I ended up buying that car out from under another client who had already put a deposit down on it.

So I am 19 years old, with a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive finished in Alpine White over Oyster Dakota Leather and Anthracite trim. Adaptive HID's, soft close doors, HiFi audio, Comfort Access II, Cold Weather Package, Backup Camera, PDC, iDrive Pro etc. etc.

But there's a problem. It's sitting on 18 inch Style 237 wheels, wrapped in Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires, and has that hideous base model 2011 front bumper. I knew all of that would change... in due time. I was just happy that I was able to find such an amazingly clean, low mileage car at such a young age.

Now, it sits on H&R Sport Springs, 666M Reps (ikik, sue me ), stopped by R1 Concept Carbon Geomet Rotors and Pads, K&N CAI, JB4 w/ Bluetooth module, VSRF Catless Downpipe, and finally did the M-Sport front bumper swap by Kies Motorsports, finished off with M4 Style Carbon Mirrors, M5 Style Carbon Fiber Kidney Grilles, and M5 Comp Style Rear Spoiler.

I couldn't be happier with the ownership experience I've had with this car. I have not had a single CEL, warning or fault pop up on the car since I have owned it. It always starts, even when it sits for 3 weeks because its no longer my daily driver. It goes through the gears beautifully, gets 28 mpg cruising on the highway, and has made me look WAY more wealthy than I actually am

It now has 43k miles, and I am planning to do some extensive servicing at the 50k miles mark, which will probably be towards the end of this year at the current rate of me driving it. Oil change, spark plugs, trans fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, coolant, filters, etc. I do not baby my car, if I do take it out for a drive, once its up to temps I definitely give it the beans, but I don't neglect it either. The N55 isn't the most powerful engine in the world, but it has proven to be pretty reliable and trouble free, and it certainly isn't lacking in power either.

I am SO glad I didn't let my young, power hungry brain pull the trigger on a 60k mile 550i pre-LCI... I'd probably be buried in repairs up to my neck!

Thanks for reading
You are very smart for going with a low mileage n55 compared to a n63. Great decision. I see a M5 in your future
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Quote:

Thanks for reading
You are very smart for going with a low mileage n55 compared to a n63. Great decision. I see a M5 in your future
Thank you, I appreciate it. After reading so many horror stories with S63s too, I'm kind of turned off now sadly. I had the opportunity to buy a really nice 2013 Space Grey M5 that was nicely optioned with 35k miles but I passed on it last min after getting approved because I was not on board with potentially having it live at the dealership with an X1 loaner everytime it went wrong
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #12
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

It was nice to hear your story as I too was 19 when I purchased my first 5er. I'll never forget the experience of sitting behind the wheel for the first time thinking "this is my car" and looking for every possible excuse to take it out on the road. My car had a tad more mileage under the belt (around 30k) to be exact and I've had a lot of maintenance and preventative maintenance performed and even track it every now and again. My car (now sporting 135k Miles) has been through a lot and still continues to put a smile on my face every time I sit behind the wheel, these cars will continue to please as long as you maintain them. I do like the mods you put on yours, like you I didn't want an f10 unless it had some kind of sport package. I recently did an M5 front end conversion and an Agency Power Carbon Fiber vented hood and I am pleased with how it compliments the cars classy lines. I wish you many more years of fun spirited driving and safe travels.

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW550mike; 02-20-2020 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW550mike View Post
It was nice to hear your story as I too was 19 when I purchased my first 5er. I'll never forget the experience of sitting behind the wheel for the first time thinking "this is my car" and looking for every possible excuse to take it out on the road. My car had a tad more mileage under the belt (around 30k) to be exact and I've had a lot of maintenance and preventative maintenance performed and even track it every now and again. My car (now sporting 135k Miles) has been through a lot and still continues to put a smile on my face every time I sit behind the wheel, these cars will continue to please as long as you maintain them. I do like the mods you put on yours, like you I didn't want an f10 unless it had some kind of sport package. I recently did an M5 front end conversion and an Agency Power Carbon Fiber vented hood and I am pleased with how it compliments the cars classy lines. I wish you many more years of fun spirited driving and safe travels.

Cheers
That's awesome! I know there's not a lot of young F10 owners out there so always cool to meet one. How has maintaining your car been now that you're up over 100k? I only did 5k miles in my car last year so I'm not worried about getting up there in miles but I've always heard so many horror stories about the N63 especially non-TU cars that it scared me away from trading my 5er on a 650i GC
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
BMW550mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Here's a link to my in depth review about the car, overall very satisfied with my experience given the cars performance and I knew what I would be getting into with a V8. You will have to do preventative maintenance if you wish to keep the car past 100k but in my current experience, it is well worth it. Let me know what you think.

BMW F10 550i Long Term Ownership Report https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650674
      03-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #15
shootndrun
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW G05 X5 xdrive

Garage List
Smile

nice I had a 2008 e60 535 when I was 26 as my first car. now I have a 2015 F10.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #16
gr8brwnshark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i, 2006 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
When I saw something about young F10 owners I had to jump in hahah. I recently bought a 2013 528i with M-sport package that had freshly hit 30k miles, it's carbon black with the oyster Dakota interior and the beautiful 18-way seat adjustment. I'm 21 and it feels amazing driving this thing. You have an amazingly beautiful ride and it's where I wanna get mine at some point. My dad whips an X5 but this is my first BMW so I'm still a little noobish on the mods I might wanna install. I saw that you have the VSRF cat less down pipe with the JB4 and this is something I'm interested in doing as well but not really sure what I'm doing. Any insight would be helpful. I'm not sure if I want to also consider getting the Remus quad exhaust system for the N20 528is. Despite it being the N20, 4-cylinder engine, it gets great mpg as I have to commute about 100 miles daily round trip for work. Hopefully I can make it more sporty lookin through time. Any suggestions on mods would be appreciated! Young F10 owners unite, gang gang
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-14-2020, 12:50 AM   #17
newcar_newme
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

beautiful cars guys! I just picked up mine yesterday, gonna do some work on it and then Ill post my finished pic
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven474.50
      05-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #18
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8brwnshark View Post
When I saw something about young F10 owners I had to jump in hahah. I recently bought a 2013 528i with M-sport package that had freshly hit 30k miles, it's carbon black with the oyster Dakota interior and the beautiful 18-way seat adjustment. I'm 21 and it feels amazing driving this thing. You have an amazingly beautiful ride and it's where I wanna get mine at some point. My dad whips an X5 but this is my first BMW so I'm still a little noobish on the mods I might wanna install. I saw that you have the VSRF cat less down pipe with the JB4 and this is something I'm interested in doing as well but not really sure what I'm doing. Any insight would be helpful. I'm not sure if I want to also consider getting the Remus quad exhaust system for the N20 528is. Despite it being the N20, 4-cylinder engine, it gets great mpg as I have to commute about 100 miles daily round trip for work. Hopefully I can make it more sporty lookin through time. Any suggestions on mods would be appreciated! Young F10 owners unite, gang gang
That's a stunning looking car 😍 I wish I had a dark colored car! That thing literally needs to be lowered, New wheels, a splitter and a trunk spoiler and it'll look beautiful.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I'm bored at work, so here's my update that nobody asked for lol

Here's my new ride:
2015 CLS 550 AMG Sportline
1 Owner, 38k mi CPO
- Designo Diamond White Metallic
- Porcelain & Black Interior, Black Ash Wood
-4.7L V8TT (M278), 402hp, 443lb-ft
-Premium Pkg II- (Basically Comfort Access and same goodies as BMW PP2)
-Wheel Pkg- AMG Wheels, AMG Steering Wheel, Paddle Shifters, Sportline
-Lane Tracking & Park Assist Pkg- LKA & BSA, 360° Cams, Active Park Assist
(self parking)
- Rear Decklid Spoiler, Active Multicontour Driver Seat (massage, heated & cooled)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #20
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Make the headlights LCI man.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
Traded in the BMW on the Benz
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #22
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
LCI F10 headlights? They are uglier ....
Appreciate 0