2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum o-ring in outlet of oil filter housing looks too large

05-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
richyoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

o-ring in outlet of oil filter housing looks too large

I have completed my oil filter housing and cooler gasket replacement along with serpentine belts and pulleys. Putting things back together now and I am having problems with the o-ring in the radiator hose connector. It along with a black ring came out of the connector when I removed it from the housing. It looks too large to go back into the connector.

The o-ring inside diameter is nearly the size of the connector inside diameter. Did it swell up? Do I need a replacement that is smaller? How does this go back together?

I have read many posts and viewed youtubes to prep for the job, but no one mentioned anything about this o-ring.

Still have intake gaskets, spark plugs and coil packs to complete this job.

Last edited by richyoung; 05-01-2021 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: image not visible
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

even though it looks larger, you can start with a portion, and slowly push it in bit by bit. It will fit by the end
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #3
richyoung
United_States
Rep

I tried that, but it is huge compared to the inside diameter of the connector pipe. Then I have the little plastic ring that I assume is supposed to hold the o-ring in place.

It seems odd that they would oversize the o-ring. The oil filter housing outlet narrow and its outside diamter seems to be about the o-ring thickness thinner than the inside diameter of the connector pipe. A properly sized o-ring would provide a seal and be rather easy to install. This one appears to have expanded to the point that it does not fit.

If I tried to use it, where does the plastic ring go. I thought the o-ring goes into the connector pipe and then the plastice ring hele it in place.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
richyoung
United_States
Rep

Found a replacement.

A post on Bimmerfest indicated that this part would work. It fit as mashpotato described. I had to work it in as its outside diameter is slightly bigger than the connector pipe inside diameter.

Closer inspection of the connector, the plastic ring that came out looks like it was glued or bonded to the connector to hold the o-ring in. May be why BMW does not just sell the o-ring.

The part is available at ACE hardware for $0.99.

Last edited by richyoung; 05-02-2021 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: wrong image
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
chipguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

I believe you need a Buna-N (Nitrile) oring to withstand the heat. Make sure oring from ACE works.
Appreciate 0