2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bitter sweet feeling for my 2012 535i

09-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
dewana421
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i 2012

Bitter sweet feeling for my 2012 535i

So i got rid of my 2012 535i...
I had 77k miles on it..sports version (not the front bumber)..it was absolutely excellent condition and clean......I let it go for 13k...i dont know if it was a decent price or i sold it for less?

Its a bitter sweet feeling but one part of me is feeling relaxed....i was more tensed owning it and dealing with all the issues i had and getting it fixed.
it was a great car however I faced A Lot of issues with it in my 6 years of ownership. with handles melting...oil leaks on valve cover and oil filter housing, valve cover change out due to PCV bad....ac blower fan burning out on me...drivetrain errors...i finally fixed all the issues and then sold it.

I have owned many cars and i keep my cars for long but the 3 BMWs i kept they all gave me issues including this one.
i love the way they drive but man be ready to face some challenges! they will break on you and you better be a DIY or have lots of $$ to spend.

moving on to another dare...pulled the trigger on Tesla Model S....ya ya i know that i dont know what i am getting in to but man the fun i had driving the tesla is unexplainable...they let me keep one for a day and i just fell in love...

it was amazing to be a part of this forum and helping and getting help from you all. wish you all best with your beemers. i may come back to it one day when BMW improves.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
So i got rid of my 2012 535i...
I had 77k miles on it..sports version (not the front bumber)..it was absolutely excellent condition and clean......I let it go for 13k...i dont know if it was a decent price or i sold it for less?

Its a bitter sweet feeling but one part of me is feeling relaxed....i was more tensed owning it and dealing with all the issues i had and getting it fixed.
I hear you - After great 6 years, I did the same thing two months ago.

Traded in mine, which basically was my "dream car". Mine was at 100K miles, but in incredible shape - new tires/brakes/bearings/radiator/belts/windshield/sparkplugs/starter/water pump.. etc... etc. However, same as you, every call from my independent mechanic was at the tune of at least 2K. I think we all know these aren't exactly vehicles to "run into the ground" due to higher cost of parts and maintenance and complexity

Do I miss it, hell yes I do, but to be honest, less than I thought I would.

Enjoy your new vehicle, 5 series does kinda "ruin" anything that follows it a little bit. It does oh-so-many things exceptionally well, really not an easy act to follow.

And so many cars on the market these days are much about tech and features that, those who enjoy mostly driving, handling and fit and finish don't necessarily care for. Cameras, assisted driving, parking, adaptive cruise... etc... etc. Yeah, they are nice, but I valued planted, stable, quiet, refined interior and higher quality materials of F10 more than any of these "tech" features in new vehicles.

Oh well, life goes on.

Last edited by Bbb34; 09-14-2020 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I hear you - After great 6 years, I did the same thing two months ago. Traded in mine, which basically was my "dream car".

And so many cars on the market these days are much about tech and features that, those who enjoy mostly driving, handling and fit and finish don't necessarily care for. Cameras, assisted driving, parking, adaptive cruise... etc... etc. Yeah, they are nice, but I valued planted, stable, quiet, refined interior and higher quality materials of F10 more than any of these "tech" features in new vehicles.
I had a hunch from your previous posts that you had said farewell to your F10. What did you get to replace it?

I also fully agree with your observations on why we stick with our BMWs sometimes longer than makes financial sense. Your experience mirrors mine quite closely. I'm at 150k kms (just under 100k miles) and like you say, each time my car goes to see the doc, it costs a fair chunk of change. I'm still keeping mine however, 'cause I do love the feel, fit, finish, and handling and I'm not ready yet to spend a large amount on something newer. I also eschewed all of optional tech on my F10 except for the HUD & DDC / ARS, and I had mine built to order. I got hooked on the 5 Series philosophy with my E39 and when it came time to replace it because of the exact same 'cost of maintenance vs enjoyment' equation, I chose my F10. We'll see what happens down the road. Maybe a Tesla Model S.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

None of those are major issues and are actually common at that 70k+ mark.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
I'm still keeping mine however, 'cause I do love the feel, fit, finish, and handling and I'm not ready yet to spend a large amount on something newer.
For my needs, where I live, with very limited choices, high initial cost and charging network what is is, as well as mileage ranges and super cold climate - I'm not ready for EV just yet.

Same as you, I absolutely loved mine, but, love sometimes makes us blind.
My decision was as cold, smart and calculated as they come,. I have zero doubt it was the right one (for me) - still, I feel it came about a year and about $10K too late (because of above mentioned "love" I addressed lots of issues as if I was going to keep it for a long time). Starter and broken coil spring, leading into a need for a full rear suspension replacement as a "best option" was something that came too soon following above mentioned 10K.

So, we had two ageing vehicles in the driveway and I felt it was the right time to get rid of one. The other one hasn't cost us anything for many years now and is not worth much in trade in, so the decision was quite simple.

Now, before you judge me keep in mind that I do not like much out there these days, regardless of the budget.

Perhaps I'm turning into a grumpy old man, but everything kinda looks alike these days and tech is the king. Driving dynamics aren't as important, fit and finish of interior materials with most manufacturers have been deteriorating for many years and, well, manuals, which I love, are almost thing of the past (my F10 replacement is the first automatic vehicle I ever purchased, and I'm not exactly a young person)

Anyway for few years now, I have been in the mood for something huge, something that'll fit cycling/skiing/outdoor family of 4 lifestyle a little bit better. So, after test driving several vehicles that "I felt" I could be interested in, my decision fairly quickly came down to 2018 G30 or brand new VW Atlas.

I almost pulled the trigger on G30, but BMW shocked me a bit with 1 year/20K km CPO warranty and dealer wasn't too keen to talk extended warranty. This hesitation on dealer part was what made me remembered all the things I did not like about BMW. Local dealership/service (worst part of ownership experience for me by far), run flats or life without spare, low battery warnings in the winter... and few others. So I did complete 180 and picked up VW Atlas in V6/AWD in their middle of the line trim.

I quite like it for what it is, but of course, just don't quite "love" it the same way I did F10.

Wife absolutely loves it, and since she's due for a new vehicle in a year or two, I do have an "out" if I get an itch for something different again - time will tell.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
None of those are major issues and are actually common at that 70k+ mark.
You are right, but even "common" stuff gets expensive on these vehicles past that 70k+ mark, and things that aren't common are also fairly unpredictable.

Mine was 9 years old, so I felt I would just be delaying inevitable and be left with no trade in within a year or so. This way, I was more than happy with trade in value and as hard as it was, decided it was time to move on.

Obviously not saying this is right call for everyone. I just didn't like that I was seeing too much of my independent mechanic, as amazing guys as they are.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like the new owner of your car will enjoy many miles to come since you’ve fixed most of the common issues. The blower is an odd ball but the rest are common for 60-80k.

Congrats on the Tesla! It is a very low maintenance car. Work promised me a Tesla as a new commute car at the end of the year. I already got a 40A level 2 charger put in my garage lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
NGAAutoTV
Rep
Drives: ’14 535i M Sport & 2006 Z4M

Congrats on the Tesla! Looking forward to more videos from you on it!

I can somewhat relate. I sold my 535i back in June with 52k on the odometer for similar concerns and also because fitting three car seats in the back was next to impossible. I do miss the F10 as they are great cars.
Instagram: @NGAAutoTv
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
So I did complete 180 and picked up VW Atlas in V6/AWD in their middle of the line trim.

I quite like it for what it is, but of course, just don't quite "love" it the same way I did F10.

Wife absolutely loves it, and since she's due for a new vehicle in a year or two, I do have an "out" if I get an itch for something different again - time will tell.
It seems that you have created a win-win situation. Happy wife and the option to get another toy down the road to make you even happier. Well done!
Appreciate 0