2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Battery recharge

09-24-2020, 03:51 AM   #1
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Battery recharge

Hello, i have 535i f10 and 2 months ago i accidentaly left parking lights on for a night. Next morning i got a message from i drive saying "battery discharging while stopped". I drove it for couple minutes and the message went away. Since then battery was working properly, but now it started showing problems when I try to start the car, its struggling realy bad. I think it needs recharge and i am curious If i take out the battery and leave the car without power supply will it damage anything or cause any issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukavergille View Post
Hello, i have 535i f10 and 2 months ago i accidentaly left parking lights on for a night. Next morning i got a message from i drive saying "battery discharging while stopped". I drove it for couple minutes and the message went away. Since then battery was working properly, but now it started showing problems when I try to start the car, its struggling realy bad. I think it needs recharge and i am curious If i take out the battery and leave the car without power supply will it damage anything or cause any issues?
Best to charge the battery in the car using the under hood terminals so that the car systems know that the battery has been fully charged. Energy in and out of the battery is monitored at all times, even when shut off. This, combined with the temperature and voltage curves help the IBS system monitor the overall health of the battery.

If you do remove the battery, be aware that you cannot release the trunk without power. There is no longer a key override in the F10. You'll have to leave the rear seats ajar, unlock the driver's door with the mechanical key and be prepared to make your way through the rear seat trunk access to release the trunk lid from the inside. (or, release the hood and hook another power supply up under the hood long enough to release the trunk electrically)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Best to charge the battery in the car using the under hood terminals so that the car systems know that the battery has been fully charged. Energy in and out of the battery is monitored at all times, even when shut off. This, combined with the temperature and voltage curves help the IBS system monitor the overall health of the battery.

If you do remove the battery, be aware that you cannot release the trunk without power. There is no longer a key override in the F10. You'll have to leave the rear seats ajar, unlock the driver's door with the mechanical key and be prepared to make your way through the rear seat trunk access to release the trunk lid from the inside. (or, release the hood and hook another power supply up under the hood long enough to release the trunk electrically)
Thanks for the reply, my mechanic was telling me to just remove battery and leave it to him to recharge. Fortunately i didnt trust him. Just to be sure : after i charge battery using terminals you mentioned it won't need any programming to let the car know that battery is charged.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

Thanks for the reply, my mechanic was telling me to just remove battery and leave it to him to recharge. Fortunately i didnt trust him. Just to be sure : after i charge battery using terminals you mentioned it won't need any programming to let the car know that battery is charged.
If you leave the battery in the car, the IBS system will read that the battery is being recharged. Coding is needed when replacing the battery with a new one
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
after i charge battery using terminals you mentioned it won't need any programming to let the car know that battery is charged.
That is correct. The battery has an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to it. As you charge the battery (using the dedicated negative & positive terminals in the engine bay)...the IBS will know why the battery's voltage has changed. If you remove the battery (as already explained in previous post) and charge it up...the IBS can interpret the increased battery voltage as an anomaly.

Also, disconnecting the battery doesn't damage the vehicle or control modules (as long as you don't short the battery cables once removed from the battery's terminals. But you may have to reset some things like personal profiles and the sunroof and perhaps the window (one-touch up/down). See info below...and make sure you use the DEDICATED negative and positive jump start terminals in the engine bay. Don't use something you "think" is the negative jump terminal...because if it's not really grounded...your battery will NOT get recharged. If you don't know where the jump start terminals are...there should be an illustration in the owners manual that shows where they can be found.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Thank you guys, I really appriciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
jpkinsey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i F10

Garage List
2011 550i F10  [0.00]
2011 550i F10  [0.00]
Battery info

Great information, very concise and highlights critical info, well written.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
chipguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Also make sure you use the right kind of charger. Something like a CTEK designed to charge AGM batteries.
Appreciate 0