2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520d SE Configuration Advice

12-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
jonno70
Rep
Drives: 530d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I tested a 520d SE sports auto for 2 days without VDC. I did not like the ride on the bumpy, undulating Cheshire country roads I drive on (too jigly), but loved the car otherwise. So, I ordered a 520d SE sports auto with VDC, and what a difference! VDC transforms the standard car. Much less jigly in Normal, and flat and firm through bends in Sport/Sport . If you are spending all that money on so many extras, dont skip VDC in my view. Especially if you are not spending all your time on motorways and dual carriage ways.

Definitely get the comfort seats, or at least lumbar support on standard or sports seats. I didn't bother and regret it somewhat as I also suffer from lower back pain. Being a low mileage driver its not a huge issue for me, but would likely be if I was making long drives regularly.

Metallic of any colour is better than the non-metallic black I have. My paint marks far to easily, and demands obsessive care when washing (micro fibre cloths, used just right, cleaned between washes etc etc - a real pain). I think the Space Grey makes the car look classier too. A mate just got one in this colour, parked it next to mine, and made mine look cheap :-(

Otherwise, I am envious of your spec! My car is much more basic, but the Sports Auto with VDC was the making of it.
Thanks for the feedback on the VDC. I test drove a 520d without VDC a couple of weeks ago (standard auto) and I could feel the roll even on wide corners. I had a 2007 530d Sport in the past and I was surprised at just how different the ride was in this SE.
So, I've nailed the final spec (had to ditch the DAB to allow for the sport steering wheel as part of the sport auto) with VDC firmly at the top of the extras list! Indicative delivery is end Jan 12 so pretty quick. Can't wait
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #24
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Hi jonno70, glad you have nailed your final spec (it is always a relief).

I am interested to see that you had noticeable 'roll' even on wide bends. I have the 520d M Sport without VDC, and without M Sport suspension (deleted), and I have purposely pushed this in Normal, Sport and Sport+ around all sorts of corners at all speeds and find that I CAN'T make it roll, it's like someone is holding the outer side of the car... it really feels safe and makes you confident to really push it... 275's grip like chewing gum!

Anyway, great spec, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Nice spec and almost exactly the same as I'm about to order. Hope it all works out great for you. Only difference in mine is that I'm going for an F11 , have added steering wheel heating and have not chosen the sunroof but am sticking with the standard headlining. I'm hoping the standard lighter colour that the oyster/black combo brings for the headlining will make it light and airy enough for me. Otherwise, I've ticked all the same options but must say I'm toying with adding the prof loudspeeker system.

Is your quoted delivery still looking good - I'm encouraged by a delivery time of only a couple of months or so, though I appreciate it may well be different for the F11.

Does anyone know the full extent of the memory functions that the comfort front seats bring? In particular, are the lumbar settings memorised and are the mirror positions memorised? Also, I understand that comfort front seats brings electric adjustment for the stering column - hence is this also memorised? Finally, is all of this memorised on an individual key, i.e. if the missus has been driving with "her" key and then I later get in and drive with "my" key, does everything auto adjust without me having to press the applicable memory button in the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog View Post
...Does anyone know the full extent of the memory functions that the comfort front seats bring? In particular, are the lumbar settings memorised and are the mirror positions memorised? Also, I understand that comfort front seats brings electric adjustment for the stering column - hence is this also memorised? Finally, is all of this memorised on an individual key, i.e. if the missus has been driving with "her" key and then I later get in and drive with "my" key, does everything auto adjust without me having to press the applicable memory button in the car?
Comfort seats adjust as follows:
Base front up/down
Base back up/down
Seat backwds/fwds
Thigh rest extend/retract
Back rest is horizontally split midway and both halves recline independently
Side bolsters expand/collapse
Lumbar in/out, up/down
Lumbar position is not stored in memory, but all other functions, including steering wheel and mirror positions are.
Individual keys store each user's preferences.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
jonno70
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog
Nice spec and almost exactly the same as I'm about to order. Hope it all works out great for you. Only difference in mine is that I'm going for an F11 , have added steering wheel heating and have not chosen the sunroof but am sticking with the standard headlining. I'm hoping the standard lighter colour that the oyster/black combo brings for the headlining will make it light and airy enough for me. Otherwise, I've ticked all the same options but must say I'm toying with adding the prof loudspeeker system.

Is your quoted delivery still looking good - I'm encouraged by a delivery time of only a couple of months or so, though I appreciate it may well be different for the F11.

Does anyone know the full extent of the memory functions that the comfort front seats bring? In particular, are the lumbar settings memorised and are the mirror positions memorised? Also, I understand that comfort front seats brings electric adjustment for the stering column - hence is this also memorised? Finally, is all of this memorised on an individual key, i.e. if the missus has been driving with "her" key and then I later get in and drive with "my" key, does everything auto adjust without me having to press the applicable memory button in the car?
Delivery has been brought forward to tomorrow morning so hopefully the weather will be kind and allow me to enjoy a good first drive! Planned a 300 mile run to North Yorkshire with wife this weekend too so a good time to get acquainted with the car, comfort, and goodies.

Will aim to give a review of the Car and options (particularly VDC) over the next couple of weeks.

First new car for a long time so ver exciting!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno70 View Post
Delivery has been brought forward to tomorrow morning so hopefully the weather will be kind and allow me to enjoy a good first drive! Planned a 300 mile run to North Yorkshire with wife this weekend too so a good time to get acquainted with the car, comfort, and goodies.

Will aim to give a review of the Car and options (particularly VDC) over the next couple of weeks.

Enjoy the car and the VDC, but try to resist the temptation to push it. Follow the recommended break-in procedure and vary the engine RPM as much as possible whilst keeping below the maximum, i.e., don't just sit on the motorway at a constant speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
jonno70
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno70 View Post

Enjoy the car and the VDC, but try to resist the temptation to push it. Follow the recommended break-in procedure and vary the engine RPM as much as possible whilst keeping below the maximum, i.e., don't just sit on the motorway at a constant speed.
The car was delivered on Wednesday last week, and I have to say it looks a million dollars! The Space Grey, anthracite roof and Oyster/Black leather works very very well.

Took it for a 600 mile round trip to the North Yorkshire Dales over the weekend, so a perfect chance to chip away at the run-in procedure (max 93mph and 3500rpm). M6 was stop start on Friday evening as expected so managed to vary the rpm! The only problem was the sat nav took me over the highest part of the very snowy Dales on Saturday afternoon. Single track road, minus 5, too treacherous to turn around, and got it stuck (BM's don't do snow and ice). With the help of a local farmer I had to reverse for mile and a half, but sure I went over 3500rpm as the rear wheels lost traction. When you gotta get home and all that.

Apart from that hiccup the car is just superb. Haven't really had a chance to fully play but the Comfort+ setting just soaks up the bumps and minor holes on the road. The other half was so impressed she said it was like travelling on a train, in First Class, but with really comfortable seats! Tried Sport a couple of times and that effectively turns the SE into a Sport model. Very impressive.

The Comfort Seats are just great; the only problem is there are so many combinations of movement it's hard to stop making small adjustments. Haven't got it 100% yet. Anyone know of a professional seat fitting service that recommends perfect setup??!

That's all for now, will endeavour to do a more detailed review once run-in. Just hope the snow escapade hasn't messed up the run-in!
Appreciate 0