2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Want to get JB4 and VRSF Downpipes - need some Suggestions?

07-03-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
Abran_tasrif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Want to get JB4 and VRSF Downpipes - need some Suggestions?

Hey, I have a 2015 bmw 535i M sport bought 3 months ago certified pre owned from the dealer in new jersey. I wanted to get JB4 and VRSF downpipe with CEL fix because I really do not want any check engine lights in the dash. I know JB4 auto clears the cel code but I have to turn the JB4 on again and again when I turn on the car to clear the code, and also I do not want to lose my warranty, so everytime Im gonna go to dealer for service, Im gonna take off jb4 and if there is no jb4 present than the engine light will come up due to the downpipes and the dealer would notice, so i thought vrsf downpipes with cel fix and jb4 combined would give me no check engine lights even if jb4 isnt there.

I was thinking if I should get the VRSF downpipe with cel fix or ER Catted downpipes so no engine lights come up.

I just want a bit of sound when i floor it only, some performance gains, without losing the bmw warranty or have any check engine light on the dash.

Also when I take off the JB4 for service, Do I First clear all the codes than take the jb4 off? or just take it off from Map 0?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I am having same issue with jb4 auto clear code gets turned off automatically. I updated to newest firmware for jb4. My car is 2013 535i. It is a jb4 issue. I have taken my car with no jb4 but with downpipe install, I tell them to ignore check engine light, and they are happy to work on car.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

The latest JB4 software will not auto-clear CEL's if you are in the USA. My understanding is that they removed that feature so that the JB4 could be sold in California.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abran_tasrif View Post
Hey, I have a 2015 bmw 535i M sport bought 3 months ago certified pre owned from the dealer in new jersey. I wanted to get JB4 and VRSF downpipe with CEL fix because I really do not want any check engine lights in the dash. I know JB4 auto clears the cel code but I have to turn the JB4 on again and again when I turn on the car to clear the code, and also I do not want to lose my warranty, so everytime Im gonna go to dealer for service, Im gonna take off jb4 and if there is no jb4 present than the engine light will come up due to the downpipes and the dealer would notice, so i thought vrsf downpipes with cel fix and jb4 combined would give me no check engine lights even if jb4 isnt there.

I was thinking if I should get the VRSF downpipe with cel fix or ER Catted downpipes so no engine lights come up.

I just want a bit of sound when i floor it only, some performance gains, without losing the bmw warranty or have any check engine light on the dash.

Also when I take off the JB4 for service, Do I First clear all the codes than take the jb4 off? or just take it off from Map 0?
The following is based solely on my personal experiences and is not verified info confirmed by BMS.

First off, on my preLCI with catless DP and JB4, the CEL would still come up once in a while and i would connect my laptop to the JB4 unit via USB and clear the code via JB4 app.

With my LCI, I'm running ER catless DP and JB4, and the CEL has not come up, ever. I've had the DP for 3 months now. Never had to clear the code. I am pretty sure in one way or another, this is related to the car being EWG instead of PWG(Electronic vs pneumatic wastegate). I'm leaning towards it being a feature built into the EWG(current version) JB4.

Second, I don't believe the VRSF DP will work with your car. If your car is a 15 model chances are you have the revised N55 which comes with EWG(instead of PWG) and also a 4.5" vband between the turbo and downpipe vs 4" vband.

As far as I know VRSF does not make a downpipe for the revised N55. Evolution Racewerks is the only company I am aware of that makes an aftermarket downpipe for revised F10 N55. They have a catted and catless version.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
If VRSF does make a version for your make I would avoid it. It doesn't seat properly. You can get it to seat right but it requires modding your rear hangers. Mine finally sits right that's how I know.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
If VRSF does make a version for your make I would avoid it. It doesn't seat properly. You can get it to seat right but it requires modding your rear hangers. Mine finally sits right that's how I know.
My VRSF sits perfectly with no modification to the hangers...?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
Quote:
Is it seated all the way back like the pic I posted above? Before my mod it was 2" off from being fully flush and leaked
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is it seated all the way back like the pic I posted above? Before my mod it was 2" off from being fully flush and leaked
Yup, seated all the way back
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Quote:
Yup, seated all the way back
Good to see some good news, getting ready to install my catless VRSF within the next week or so. Hopefully no modifications necessary!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are correct, some make good connection, some does not. I had same issue, exhaust would slip out, so I had to do a small spot weld where downpipe and exhaust would make perfect connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Vary Rarely Satisfactory Fit.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      07-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Another option is the AR Design downpipes. They have a catted one but im not sure if the cel light will come up with this particular model.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Just an update... my catless VRSF dp fit perfectly. It helped that the axlebacks were off the car so I had plenty of room to play with but it connected with the turbo and midpipe without issue. Aside from there being no mounting points to the car itself, I'm satisfied (but if I would've realized this before purchase, I likely would've spent the extra $ for a ER dp).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLLsLow View Post
Just an update... my catless VRSF dp fit perfectly. It helped that the axlebacks were off the car so I had plenty of room to play with but it connected with the turbo and midpipe without issue. Aside from there being no mounting points to the car itself, I'm satisfied (but if I would've realized this before purchase, I likely would've spent the extra $ for a ER dp).
Glad everthing went well

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr View Post
Another option is the AR Design downpipes. They have a catted one but im not sure if the cel light will come up with this particular model.
I have these; had them installed about 5 months ago.. thankfully no CEL so far.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      07-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer combo deals on JB4 + VRSF/AR DP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0