2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications ZF transmission shift torque adapting

07-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Hey guys,

Just wanted to make a brief statement on my recent experience on how our F10's perform over time. Note The following is always in auto mode, no paddles or manual shifting required….

My little story: The zf transmission has finally learnt my driving habits and behavior. It has taken 5 years. Im so relieved, its finally fantastic. Patience is a virtue 😅

I can definitely feel a quicker torque engagement off the line from stop, in any throttle context. Generally speaking, it shifts many more times than it used to, allowing for more efficient driving patterns. And much more sporty the way i like it, revving higher before shifting occurs. (Wifey is satisfied now driving it&#128514 Also, the quicker and more constant downshifts coming to a stop allow for more efficient braking/slowing down/and smoother operation. It would almost clunk around during braking previously and thats been sorted. Im a happy camper!

Background: ive had my 2011 535 xdrive (without optional adaptive suspension, without optional HV rollbars) Ive owned since 5 years now and put around 35,000 miles. Its clear to me the previous owner drove the car like a maybach, allowing shifting to occur at lowest possible revs. Definitely not the way i ever intend to drive. But we will see when i reach the age of 75 lol. Ive had the trans oil and filter replaced about 20,000 miles ago and approx 3-4 years. Often, i would drive in sport mode to alleviate the sluggish response from the wonderful ZF, but now i dont need to as the ecu/tcu finally adapted and manage LIGHT years better than ever.

Thought id share the happy grin on my face on this topic. Hope it helps some of you out there! And those whove experienced this with the F10's can also chime in, maybe theres also a force adapting i wasnt aware of that can be performed via scantool.

Cheers,
Ol skool
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

glad you're happy with it! Thats great to hear it finally got to your liking.

Just as a side note for anyone that doesn't want to wait for the adaptations to get to this point... xHP is your friend. I've been on stag3 for just over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Prior to that I had actually coded Sport trans with Bimmercode and that had made a noticeable but still "OE nice" improvement. But xHP is certainly a game-changer and at Stage3 has made for lightning quick shifts in Sport mode
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post

Just as a side note for anyone that doesn't want to wait for the adaptations to get to this point... xHP is your friend. I've been on stag3 for just over a year now and I couldn't be happier. Prior to that I had actually coded Sport trans with Bimmercode and that had made a noticeable but still "OE nice" improvement. But xHP is certainly a game-changer and at Stage3 has made for lightning quick shifts in Sport mode
Awesome! Thanks! Im sure the upgraded software helps! Im not entirely certain that shift point adaptation is reset however. I dont know this to be fact when upgrading. Still I could only wish to get that done on my 535i M sport one day !
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post

How long have you had that now for? Reliability stage 3? I think the HP45 is not meant for more than 400 ft lbs…. Also Do you have any power mods?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 12:13 AM   #5
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
I have a different model with the N63 and I believe I have the HP70 so a little different scenario but I think the logic still applies here. The xHP has been awesome since day one. I love mine and I have had it installed for over a year on Stage 3 with a laundry list of mods.

With limited mods I don't think you'll see massive time improvements any but for the feel and adaptions it's great with or without mods.

Of course, there is risk with anything you do, but as long as you aren't in the settings changing all sorts of things you shouldn't be messing with, and/or driving like a complete idiot 100% of the time (95% is okay &#128514 and if you take maintenance serious then I think xHP is fine for any and all. I definitely recommend it for anyone interested. Just my personal opinion though.
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:10 AM   #6
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol skool bmvee View Post
How long have you had that now for? Reliability stage 3? I think the HP45 is not meant for more than 400 ft lbs…. Also Do you have any power mods?
I've had it for a year and a week now on stage 3. See my current mods in my signature (if you're reading this on mobile view I think it removes signatures, so this is it= BimmerHaus Intake/ GPlus IC/ BMS CP/ EBay Kittyless DP/ Valved Mufflers/ MHD David Shoup E50 Tuned/ B58 Coils/ xHP). The car was on the dyno in April with the mods above but with stock intake to do a before and after of the BimmerHaus intake. Here's the dyno thread going for that https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916198. But at this point with the factory intake on it made 317WHP/ 414WTQ.

I bought the car in Nov 2019 with 109k miles on it. In the same month I coded the Sport trans on bimmercode- this improved shifting.
In early 2020 at about 114k miles I did a trans service with a new ZF pan and liquimoly toptec1800 fluid (from FCP Euro). Further improved shifting.
July of 2021 I did xHP and it's been insane since.
11' M-sport- 371 WHP-478 WTQ on stock PWG// DYNO COMING FOR Shuenk N55+ on 91oct/ BHP Intake/ IC/ CP/ DP/ Valved Mufflers/ David Shoup Tuning/ B58 Coils+N20 NGKs/ Walbro 450/ Helix OD/ xHP3/ G12 Brembos
Appreciate 0