2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding A Bluetooth or a WiFi adapter?

01-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: ALPINE WHITE F10 520D

A Bluetooth or a WiFi adapter?

Hello guys! I am new to this forum and to coding as well. After some research, I have found out that the most friendly app, which can do the job for my personal preferences is the Bimmercode. However, I have read a few posts, where people are recommending to use a WiFi adapter over the Bluetooth version, due to the possibility of connection drops.
I already have one ELM 327 back home, which is a Bluetooth version and I was wondering if it's gonna be a problem if I use it for running a few codes to my F10.

What is your experience and opinion? Happy to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I just got the vgate icar pro BT and it seems really good. I'd be worried about wifi dropping, not BT.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
starlights
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Bluetooth. You should put your phone in airplane mode when using the BT adapter and ensure that phone BT connects to the adapter and not the car directly. This has worked well for me. Additionally, within the Bimmercode app, go to settings and specify the adapter you have from the menu before using the adapter. Establish the BT connection with the adapter from within Bimmercode app not directly via your phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

So, can anyone confirm that this Bluetooth version of the Vgate adapter works fine with Bimmercode - https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Scanner.../dp/B075R62FTH ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Hopefully someone can confirm that the Bluetooth adapter in the link above is suitable. It would be great if that adapter could work because it seems inexpensive.

In the meantime, here's what Bimmercode says on their website about adapters:

"To use the BimmerCode app an OBD adapter is required, but not all adapters on the market are suitable for coding. Some are missing necessary functions and others are just not capable to transmit the data to the car fast enough. Please use only one of the tested adapters, since otherwise trouble-free functionality can not be guaranteed"

And follow the link below to see the actual adapters that Bimmercode has tested (pics also attached at bottom).

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/adapter/

Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _GW_ View Post
Hopefully someone can confirm that the Bluetooth adapter in the link above is suitable. It would be great if that adapter could work because it seems inexpensive.

In the meantime, here's what Bimmercode says on their website about adapters:

"To use the BimmerCode app an OBD adapter is required, but not all adapters on the market are suitable for coding. Some are missing necessary functions and others are just not capable to transmit the data to the car fast enough. Please use only one of the tested adapters, since otherwise trouble-free functionality can not be guaranteed"

And follow the link below to see the actual adapters that Bimmercode has tested (pics also attached at bottom).

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/adapter/

Good luck.
Just used the tried and true version that I posted. It's the 2nd one on the right
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Well, since I am not from the USA, I have here the chance to buy only the Vgate adapter. However in the recommend list with adapters there is the wifi version of the one I have provided a link to. Just wondering why the BT would not be suitable? Anyone having experience with it, please share it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphericos View Post
Well, since I am not from the USA, I have here the chance to buy only the Vgate adapter. However in the recommend list with adapters there is the wifi version of the one I have provided a link to. Just wondering why the BT would not be suitable? Anyone having experience with it, please share it.
I dont think you're reading what I wrote....the BT one is the go to...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Sphericos
Private
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
I dont think you're reading what I wrote....the BT one is the go to...
Okay, I will trust you on this one! Gonna go with the BT version. But what bothers me is why on the official site they have listed only the WiFi one :/
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphericos View Post
Okay, I will trust you on this one! Gonna go with the BT version. But what bothers me is why on the official site they have listed only the WiFi one :/
When buying from amazon, it asks you which version you want. Just pick BT 4.0. It is a great addition to the car for sure.
Appreciate 0