2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rkstar9's 535D Build/Journal

01-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Rkstar9's 535D Build/Journal

Good News Everyone!

Bid on a 535d on copart just for shits and Gigles aaaaaand I won lol

This is right as my 335d stripped a cam and bent some rocker arms at 161,000(practically an unheard of issue.) So apparently I have not learned my lesson.

Looking forward to sharing progress and tracking maintenance on a hopefully lengthy and trouble free ownership.

Plans are to rebuild but later Delete and add Meth as well as a few other mods

Code Description
OZMM M Sport
ozcw Cold Weather Package
OZDA Driving Assistance Package
OZPP Premium Package
0337 M Sport Package
01CA C02 relevant vehicles
0258 Runflat tires
02NB 19" M wheels 351 M w/ as rft
02TB Sport Automatic Transmission
02VB Tire pressure monitor
0319 Universal garage-door opener
0415 Power rear sunshade
0416 Rear sunshades
0423 Floor mats
0430 Auto-dimming mirrors
0431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror
0456 Multi-contour seats
0488 Lumbar support
04UR Ambient Lighting
0609 Navigation system w/ touchpad
0697 DVD Area coding, North America
06AE BMW TeleServices
06AM Advanced RTII
06NR BMW Apps - iOS and Android
08KL Oil Chg 10,000 mls/12 months
OBTN Daytime driving lights
09AA Transport protection
0465 Split fold-down-rear seat
04CE Anthracite Wood Trim
0575 Additional 12-V power sockets
0688 Harman Kardon surround sound
06AC BMW Assist eCall
06AK ConnectedDrive Services
06AP Remote Services
06NS Enhanced BfT and Smartphone In
08S4 Variable Light Decoding
0925 Shipping package
OZ06 Black Kidney Grilles

Last edited by rkstar9; 01-30-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sub'd!

very interested in the your build. there's another member Stuck who rebuild his too! unfortunately I believe his got totaled
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Assume this will be a DYI project. What do you expect the rebuild will cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Sub'd!

very interested in the your build. there's another member Stuck who rebuild his too! unfortunately I believe his got totaled
Thanks! This one is a total loss as well. It has a salvage title so resale value will suck lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Assume this will be a DYI project. What do you expect the rebuild will cost?

yup DIY as much as one can DIY meaning Ill get the parts with patience and assemble everything but the body panels. Then have a very reputable professional who is a family friend line up the car to the last mm of perfection. As well as paint and color match with the rest of the car.

To give an idea just to line up the car (squaring up the front end by measuring reference points to make sure its exactly how it came from factory) And later line up the panels which will be aftermarket (m5 side fenders and bumper) which is almost impossible along with paint will be $2,200

OEM parts will be around 3500, that includes me being lucky finiding a headlight for 175 shipped. (vs 800-1200)

So long story short around $5500

Here is some advice for anyone buying a new hood, never buy an ebay hood, they weight around 75lbs (steel) vs oem around 25 lbs (aluminum) Got 2 ebay hoods that arrived bent. Ended up buying a oem M5 hood
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

This is a level of bravery way beyond my understanding and wrenching skills. Best of luck with your project.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
This is a level of bravery way beyond my understanding and wrenching skills. Best of luck with your project.
I've found a bunch of YouTubes on guys doing just this. You wouldn't believe the "magic" these guys have done to rescue some pretty nice cars! A guy called Nour has done a 335 and his brother is doing an F30 328i. There's another, Samcrac that did an R7...

I can't wait to see the final product!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Never wrenched on a car before to this extent until It became obvious I had to delete my x5 Diesel in order to keep it reliable past 100k, then later got a 335D and did the same thing. That was my graduation lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I've found a bunch of YouTubes on guys doing just this. You wouldn't believe the "magic" these guys have done to rescue some pretty nice cars! A guy called Nour has done a 335 and his brother is doing an F30 328i. There's another, Samcrac that did an R7...

I think I big part of it is learning how to navigate realoem.com and newtis.info. Understanding the diagrams goes a long way. Luckily im somewhat past the initial learning curve.

The greatest news when the car arrives from the copart lot is that the car starts and runs. And it came with 2 keys.

This is the car when I brought it into a garage i was able to borrow for a while

Advanced security Device featured on the LR wheel.

Extent of the damage. Broken radiator fan (and burned out fat motor) Fans on the diesels are 850w unlike the Gasoline Brethren that are a smaller wattage. Only some of the 7 series share the same fan.

Draining out coolant and removing side fenders.

The replacement fenders will be

If I had to do it over again I would get real M5 Fenders, these are steel and weight a bit more. The Cornering lights need to have turning lights retrofired from the headlight turn signal.

The M5 logos I will skip. No thank you. In fact I would have the side grills black if i could...

boost hose was leaking lots of grease around the intercoolet inlet.

Same issue as 335D and X5D replacement gaskets last 20k miles replacement hose leaks and aftermarket hoses leak as well. Since there is no solution and an endless headache decided to just apply ultra copper silicone. That way the hose is only removable from the turbo connection where it does not leak grease.

M5 Replica Bumper from ebay ...surprisingly really high quality polypropylene. Probably higher quality than OEM

Hella sharptone horns arrived today, much cheaper and IMO way more appropriate than the OEM horns.

02-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

ugh you should've kept it the way it is instead of the M5 look. you should have gone MSPORT!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looks like the frame rails are straight and this will be a straight-forward replacement of front-end parts. Shouldn't take too long and not cost too much! Other than a salvage title (maybe try for a rebuilt title?) you'll have a pretty nice car!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I'll have to agree on the m sport vs m5 parts, plus you'll find you'll find you will need more m5 parts to make it mount. The real learning curve will come when you get to the software part.
Good luck
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I'll have to agree on the m sport vs m5 parts, plus you'll find you'll find you will need more m5 parts to make it mount. The real learning curve will come when you get to the software part.
Good luck
Shouldn't be any software programming for a cosmetic change. He already has to purchase the bumper, ducting and lower shields anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

there's a forum member here who did this and he did it right by actually buying all the components needed to make this work. I believe he posted all the parts and their part #'s. there's quite a few bumper supports and what not that needs to be bought for this bumper to work and fit correctly.

BTW, those M5 look fenders will not fit and line up with that OEM M5 front bumper. those fenders are meant with the standard F10 bumper

EDIT: I just reread and you said M5 replica front bumper so it should fit than. I thought it was OEM M5
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
Shouldn't be any software programming for a cosmetic change. He already has to purchase the bumper, ducting and lower shields anyway.
True but I am willing to bet it doesn't turn out to be all cosmetic.
You've been around this and the other forums long enough to know that just doesn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #14
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Quote:

You may want to take a look Arthur tussik on YouTube. Absolute genius
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Sometimes the challenge presented by these project are half the fun. Solving all the M5 bodywork problems and the ultimate result might be what rkstar enjoys.

As a diesel owner, I am curious about the intercooler grease issue. Where does it come from and why does it collect around that hose fitting?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #16
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Haha well there is a M5 Replica bumper for sale if anyone is looking for one lol Did not realize it was so unpopular.

Still not sure I can choose one over the other...I guess the fact that the car is not an actual M5 is somewhat annoying.

Unless there is a splitter..

Then I do prefer the M5 look.

Not that I would do that, If anything I would just CF wrap the lower part to protect it.

On it's way to the shop (this is the ebay hood I ended up not going with) Shop guy said it would never look right. too banged up.

This was the only restraining system issue.

Airbag Front sensor, left open circuit

Ended up being a missing front left airbag sensor...bought one on ebay for 30 bucks. Cleared it right up. Someone probably janked it at copart.

Hella Horns installed today, no relay required, they sound really good at least with the bumper off. Firm sharp beep.

There are 30 different versions of the PDC harness , Im not exagerating.. The right one for my car should have been

For vehicles with
M Sports package P337A=Yes
and
BMW Night Vision with Dynamic Light P5A3A=No
and
Park Distance Control (PDC) S508A=Yes
and
LED Fog lights S5A1A=Yes
and
M Aerodynamics package S5A1A=Yes
and
Active pedestrian protection S8TFA=No

Should have been straight forward, except my cars build sheet says it came with CO2 package. This includes wiring for a radiator shutter. Such harness does not exist. you either get CO2 package and M sport or you get the shutter and and LED lights. Unless you get an additional MSPORT harness that compliments the front harness.

to add insult to injury the car is giving a code for an all around camera. Which it did not come equipped with.

So i just bought the closest matching harness and retrofitted the missing cables for the radiator shutter.

Previous shroud on the car did not have a shutter motor, So Im not sure if the previous owner goofed up or If my CO2 packaged car did not come with shutter. Either way I bought a front shroud with actuating motor.

So It's in my best interest to make the shutter work.

Progress on the morimoto fog lights, really liking the black stealth look should blend into the bumper mesh nicely.

In terms of gremlins yes id I be surprised if I do not get a bulb out code for the aftermarket led fog lights. Hopefully it's not too hard to code that out.
      02-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
Haha well there is a M5 Replica bumper for sale if anyone is looking for one lol Did not realize it was so unpopular.

Still not sure I can choose one over the other...I guess the fact that the car is not an actual M5 is somewhat annoying.

Unless there is a splitter..

Then I do prefer the M5 look.

Not that I would do that, If anything I would just CF wrap the lower part to protect it.

On it's way to the shop (this is the ebay hood I ended up not going with) Shop guy said it would never look right. too banged up.

This was the only restraining system issue.

Airbag Front sensor, left open circuit

Ended up being a missing front left airbag sensor...bought one on ebay for 30 bucks. Cleared it right up. Someone probably janked it at copart.

Hella Horns installed today, no relay required, they sound really good at least with the bumper off. Firm sharp beep.

There are 30 different versions of the PDC harness , Im not exagerating.. The right one for my car should have been

For vehicles with
M Sports package P337A=Yes
and
BMW Night Vision with Dynamic Light P5A3A=No
and
Park Distance Control (PDC) S508A=Yes
and
LED Fog lights S5A1A=Yes
and
M Aerodynamics package S5A1A=Yes
and
Active pedestrian protection S8TFA=No

Should have been straight forward, except my cars build sheet says it came with CO2 package. This includes wiring for a radiator shutter. Such harness does not exist. you either get CO2 package and M sport or you get the shutter and and LED lights. Unless you get an additional MSPORT harness that compliments the front harness.

to add insult to injury the car is giving a code for an all around camera. Which it did not come equipped with.

So i just bought the closest matching harness and retrofitted the missing cables for the radiator shutter.

Previous shroud on the car did not have a shutter motor, So Im not sure if the previous owner goofed up or If my CO2 packaged car did not come with shutter. Either way I bought a front shroud with actuating motor.

So It's in my best interest to make the shutter work.

Progress on the morimoto fog lights, really liking the black stealth look should blend into the bumper mesh nicely.

In terms of gremlins yes id I be surprised if I do not get a bulb out code for the aftermarket led fog lights. Hopefully it's not too hard to code that out.
Maybe you could get a CANBUS corrected bulb.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Sometimes the challenge presented by these project are half the fun. Solving all the M5 bodywork problems and the ultimate result might be what rkstar enjoys.

As a diesel owner, I am curious about the intercooler grease issue. Where does it come from and why does it collect around that hose fitting?
There is always lots of oil circulating from the turbo into the intercooler and back into the engine even when new from factory I believe it's considered normal.

Mainly comes from the turbo but also form a crankcase ventilation tube that continuously dumps engine oil from the crankcase into your intake.

As to why it occurs at that junction it's probably where the most force is applied as the engine rocks back and forth while the inter cooler remains fixed wearing out that gasket.

Eventually it will probably leak enough air to trigger a check engine light.

02-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Thanks for sharing your build - following with interest.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #20
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Thanks for the detailed explanation concerning the build up of grease in inter cooler system. As I understand it, it's not specifically grease, but a build up of dirt, soot and engine oil that takes on the properties of grease as it accumulates.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nice update on the build. Keep in mind that its been noted from previous members who upgraded to the M5 replica front bumper that the aftermarket splitters have been known not to fit. Suggesting that because the OEM M5 front bumper is actually wider along with the wider OEM M5 fenders. So I'm guessing the replicas M5 bumpers are smaller.

It's been talked about numerous times and there's actually threads and threads regarding M5 conversions and people give their opinions on this matter. Alot of it is negative but you'll have to read it yourself. I believe your money your car so do what makes you happy
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #22
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]