2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Stuck with state inspection "readiness"

02-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
mlaraba
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Stuck with state inspection "readiness"

Hello,
I've been trying to to get my inspection for a while now, I did some work right before and delete the fault and was never able to pass the inspection cause of the readiness. I went down to two readiness fail O2 and catalytic
i've been to told to not worry and drive it it will get ready but i exceeded 550miles trying to the the drive cycles i can read about on the forum but no luck,
I tried to read the readiness code using ista-D and as you can see in the attached picture .
My question is what means "Support : X no"
is this normal and i just need to do the drive cycles correctly is there an issue i'm missing.

the only fault i have is the crankcase ventilation heating, i already posted a question about it in this thread but still no luck:
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558277
and i'm not sure if it's related

Thank you all,
--ML\
Attached Images

Last edited by mlaraba; 02-11-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
mlaraba
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Make sure you go through the drive cycle like this one:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...or-Smog-Check/

Monitor it, once it is ready enough for your local rules (1 not ready is OK where I am ), get it tested. Make sure if you have a JB4 you have it in Map 0, and flash back to stock if you have an MHD or BM3 map loaded.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
mlaraba
Rep

Thank you AZ-MCRacer,
That Drive cycle link is always open on my phone and trying to do it each time i have the chance, i'm over 650miles now .
that's why i was concerned about "Support : No" in ISTA-D, it would make more sense if it was something like "support : Yes. Check: not concluded". or something like that.
The car is stock, I have no clue what JB4, MHD, BM3 means ( excuse my ignorance)
1 not ready is OK in Texas too. I wish one will get ready for me .
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
mlaraba
Rep

Please help

over 700 miles and still nothing, and i was screw this at least i need to answer the "Support : No" question rather than wasting gas and time and hoping, deleted fault codes and check again and as you can see in the picture for the monitors i was able to get ready before it says "Support : yes - check : not concluded" which make sense.
so now it leads me back to thinking that the fault : 160502 Crankcase ventilation heating, activation: short circuit to ground
is causing that the system is not gonna check those monitors at all or the car doesn't have support for that?!! (which i doubt if they are required in the inspection)
can anyone help me locate those two system and point me to the right direction :
where is this catalytic converter heater monitoring (i guess it's a part of the catalyst converter O2 sensor)
and the secondary air system ? i've seen videos about it on the n54 not much info on the N55.

the other pictures are the O2 sensor graph if it can help

Thanks in advance
--ML
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't believe the ones that say Not supported hurt you for an emissions test, just ones that are supported but "Not Concluded". When you reset codes you are starting over. Our cars don't have secondary air systems that I am aware of or a cat heater monitoring sensor. If you have any codes showing in my state that generates a CEL it is an automatic fail.

Check this hose that goes from valve cover to inlet and be sure it is in good condition and sensor is plugged in.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11127584128/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
mlaraba
Rep

AZ-MCRacer thank you so much, I agree, and I think i understood what happened 30 minutes after I wrote my last post and there is nothing wrong with the car. unfortunately it was after 6 pm and i couldn't catch those guys at MIDAS that made me go back and forth for 3 weeks or more, so i will be there tomorrow.

Here is the story:
the first day i really had 3 not ready cause I worked on the brakes and i thought by deleting faults i will get rid of the brake light in the dash board, i didn't know i can do from the car itself until after. and i did reset after. by deleting the fault i reset the readiness (which i didn't know about before ) and went to inspection and failed cause :
catalyst , evap and o2 sens.
they told me I need to drive the car, come back and I will pass for free. and since then i stop by almost everyday (they are next to my work place) and what they do because they remember me, they just grab the SMALL SCANNER and go check my car in the parking lot and tell me still not ready. I remember first day the guy said good you're down to two, one more and you can pass (My car was ready that day and i will explain later).
since that they they kept telling me two not ready your catalyst and o2 sensor.
I was tired of going everyday and searched how to read reediness in ista-D and "support no " triggered my curiosity but none answered about this before and i was thinking those people know their job and they kept telling me it's always like this with German cars and stuff. I didn't want to clean the fault or mess a lot with ISTA-D cause after all this, I started thinking the drive cycles is such a big deal (My precious!!!) today i told myself :enough i did a reset. first i could see the other sensors when they are not ready it says "support yes, but not concluded) and i drove like 30 miles and have almost all of them ready!!! and that's when i did the second post righ after i was leaving and grabbed some papers from my desk one of them was the report when i first failed the inspection i looked at it again and noticed
this:
Catalyst : not ready
EVAP: not ready
Heated Cat: N/A
2nd SYS: N/A
O2 sens: not ready
so their system make sens with what ISTA-D says "support:no"

conclusion: the second time i went their and when they told me 2 remaining . my car was ready and they just used the small scanner and misinterpreted the not available sensors as not ready "heated Cat" he tough the catalyst itself not the heater, and the secondary air system ans so on,
Can't wait to go back and when they tell me you have still two not ready, and tell them just to go ahead and do the inspection cause i want to see it fail.

I wrote all this just in case the same thing that happened to me happens to someone else. i don't one anyone else to drive for 700 miles like a grandma in the highway trying to guess how much people behind you are hating you, and hoping that two monitors that doesn't exist will say Hi one day. or leaving the house at 2 am in the cold just to drive thinking what to say the to cop if you get pulled over with no registration,
and don't believe that with German cars you need to drive more, if there is no issue with the car it will get ready very quick, just do the drive cycles if not try to explain better than hope.
if i didn't learn a lot during this period of time i will be so disappointing.

Thank you again AZ-MCRacer.
--ML
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Glad to hear you have it sorted. Passing emissions on a stock car should be easy. I learned a lot about what needs to happen in order for me to get mine to pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
mlaraba
Rep

yep, same thing here, i just passed today and learned a lot too,
and it's easy as you said after my last reset, I only drove around 40 miles
I dont't understand tho that they knew it's gonna pass today before so my theory about the small scanner can be wrong, so i take it back, the guy tried to explain it that maybe they froze and were not responding properly and the last reset made change.
maybe it was a timing issue, since i started checking the readiness myself and not going there, the 2 not ready ready went to ready and by finding 2 not supported (coincidence) i was stuck in that evil loop.

AZ-MCRacer thanks you so much.

Hope my experience will at least reduce the doubts and confusion for other less experienced people like me in the future.

--ML
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Midas for a smog check??? I'm surprised they didn't try and convince you that you need an entire new brake system!

I go to a smog check station, not someplace that smogs on the side.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
mlaraba
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Midas for a smog check??? I'm surprised they didn't try and convince you that you need an entire new brake system!

I go to a smog check station, not someplace that smogs on the side.
LOL, It's right next to my office,, so it's a one stop for me and that's how I started doing my smog test there 5 years ago,
but I have to say that the two main guys in this location are nice people, they didn't try to sell me anything, they knew it was a readiness issue and they kept asking me to get it ready and come back, and there was nothing was wrong with the car.
and when it took longtime one of them even tried to recommend a guy for me that knows better about BMW and advising me not to get ripped off and just look into getting the monitors ready.
Appreciate 0