2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 EXPECTED HOSE FAILURES? Did your hose fail?

02-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

F10 EXPECTED HOSE FAILURES? Did your hose fail?

2012 550i xdrive about to hit 60,000 miles

I have replaced a couple 1/2” coolant hoses, expecting that a few more will fail.

Since I am not experienced with hose work, but I find might be better to replace hoses that are more likely to fail within the next 30,000 miles (meaning between 60k and 90k miles) ?

Mostly city driving, although it has power to spare, it is driven moderately (boring old man like driving), thus not a lot demand fluctuations.
I do the expected basic maintenance, from fluids flushes, spark plugs/coils etc

l can easily tell that previous owner did not replace any of the hoses, they all look original, logic dictates failure are expected.

1- Anyone with similar bimmers models could share what hoses needed to be replace due to failure/leakage within 40,000 - 90,000 miles range?

2- What size hoses for these models or similar should one keep around?

3- Vulcoflex or similar flexible hoses, will they conform to most shapes? What hoses one should not try to emulate their shape with flexible hoses?

Hopefully it will not sound abrasive, but will mostly helpful if not just a personal opinion without actual first hand experience/knowledge or just hunch based on merely on personal hypothesis.,

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
SilverSlurf
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i sport

on this f10 at 97k i have not experienced this but on my e60 i did have to replace a few hoses and the expansion tank around the same mileage so im waiting for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
fastfreddie63
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi, AMG C63

I have the same car. Stealership wanted $2k for both turbo coolant lines to be replaced because they have to remove the turbos to do it 'right'. I replaced them myself (rubber only) and it was easy; at 85k miles. Cut the factory clamps and use stainless band clamps with new rubber. The tee on the drivers side is a weak area too. The whole assemblies are about $120 each but I would not want to remove the turbos as the metal tube portion closest to the turbos are fine. The whole lines should have been metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

I replaced a few 1/2” that were leaking for less than $20 x $2,000 quoted by stealership.

Some of The rubber seals seemed to have slow leaks, I add atf-205 to the oil, see my other posting if you want to learn my experience with it.

i replaced the T connectors, bought in the homedepot store 1/2” brass fittings (for Pex tubing) unless I am miserably wrong they can be applied to automotive uses At least for coolant lines. I have experience with Pex system and can tell that home water heating system fittings are designed for higher pressure than automotive cooling system...please correct if I am wrong, not claiming to be an expert.

Don’t keep the plastic connectors, the brake of and small pieces will get into your cooling system, and it is much hard to handle it if reusing the existing plastic fittings.

If you will be under the hood anyway, why not replace theses hoses? If you have never replaced and you have or may be about to hit 50k miles, you can’t go wrong.

If you are planning to keep the vehicle for addition 50k or more go for the metal tubing or silicone it may save you additional work in the future.

See my reply to my own question regarding atf used on a 550i xdrive in case you may be curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I would also check out the y pipe under the alternator. Very common leak and a bitch to get too.

I did a full cooling overhaul at the dealer under the oil recall and I'm still leaking coolant from somewhere. It goes down about a couple teaspoons every 2-3 days. I just replaced the cap on the reservoir as that was the only thing left that's original.

Fourth time car is going back now to fix this mystery leak. Last time it went back they charged me to replace reservoir and they didn't even replace it.
Appreciate 0