2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes F11 2012 520d Alloy upgrade 245/40/19

07-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
traskix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: (F11) 2012 520D SE Jet Black

F11 2012 520d Alloy upgrade 245/40/19

Hi Guys,

I've posted some time ago for advice on alloy upgrade on my 2012 F11 520d.

I followed the advice on trying to get 18-19 inch genuine BMW wheels rather than 20" replicas.

I recently fitted the 19" BMW wheels (going up from standard 17") with Goodyear Excellence tyres 245/40 19.

Driving around the city I do feel the ride is much less comfortable and it feels heavy on steering but it is something I expected from bigger wheels and lower profile tyres, especially run on flat.

Today I had a chance to test it on a motorway and the handling was DRAMATIC !!!!!

At speeds above 100mph, the car was very unpredictable when changing lanes it felt like it drove itself making me feel veery uncomfortable. I owned this car for the past 18 months. I did a professional 4-wheel alignment soon after purchase but not after putting the new wheels on.

Does anyone have a similar experience with wheels upgrade???

Normally at speeds 100mph + I could drive this car with two fingers on the steering wheel and felt very comfortable, it behaved as it should, now very puzzled as the car looks awesome with large wheels.

I am thinking about going back to 17".

I know that the high spec BMWs, especially M5 do come out with large wheels as standard and I can't believe these would behave like that as they can get up to 155mph in no time.

I would appreciate any comments or your own experiences.

Does the car need a computer reset to different wheels size???? (like anything else in BMW?)

Appreciate any advice.
Appreciate 0