2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Suspension Upgrade Options

01-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
all depends on your offset. my rears are 21x11 38mm. there's alot of members here running 295's in the back

this makes no sense?
wouldnt a good mix between grip, and some rotation/oversteer at the limit be best? say, 265's in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
all depends on your offset. my rears are 21x11 38mm. there's alot of members here running 295's in the back

this makes no sense?
wouldnt a good mix between grip, and some rotation/oversteer at the limit be best? say, 265's in the rear?

what is this, a tuned M5? pfft, 295s. come on.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #25
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Glad to hear its going better though. Agreed on the rear, it's a must upgrade even on a stock suspension setup.

I always wondered about the FSD's. Are they soft then firm on bumps or vice versa?

I fiddle with my adjustables all the time. Some weeks super soft, long periods of medium, but the past couple weeks I've had them at full stiff. Wife doesn't like that setting, but sure is fun on freeway bends.

In regards to tires I am really diggin the all season even on these dry California days. They stick like glue. I'm sure the Pilots are phenomenal!
Before I begin, I am a newb at descriptions.

Admittedly, abandoning runflats helped the the suspension changes. I don't get the harshness or tremors that made you feel like the chassis was falling apart when hitting a slightly sunken railroad track.

Previous to abandoning runflats and with stock suspension, the car was no fun, was floating, felt unstable even though it was stable - it was a mid-70's Cadillac in ride.

The after is that I have a luxury sports sedan with less lean, more precision, no harshness, planted, and fine dampening character.

As to the Konis...

I feel like the Koni FSD, when taken by surprise, will be more compliant before adjusting. But the rear bar changed that a bit, so the Konis are more predictible. Need more time to comfirm.

Overall, the F10 feels more planted, less prone to jumbling over bumps, with the rear bar. Without the rear bar, it is not floaty but felt jumbly over bumps. Still, it was an improvement over the stock suspensio, which floated and leaned, and made one feel insecure. Even my 10 yr old son noticed the lean when I first purchased the F10. The FSD do not float- you feel the bump, but it is not jarring.

The Rear Bar is the touch that brings all the changes together. (Just wish the M front bar was less thick - or I might add it. My thoughts are that its addition would roughen the ride too much.)

We have a lot of highway construction/improvements in the DFW area so the pavement is not smooth. Going through each 12-15 foot section, you get bumped -- a true sport suspension would jar you a bit, and drive you nutz if you wanted more comfort, but the FSD are more compliant - they soften the jolt.

With the rear bar, the car turns in a fashion that is more akin to my E90 - no it is not a go kart, but it now has less lean, more precision than without the rear bar. At gradual turns at high speeds, 80 mph or so, you feel the rears gripping. Before the rear bar, the feel was spongy.

Will post later as I gain more experience with the setup.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i

Last edited by Desmond79; 02-01-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #26
550iN63tu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

About your kw

Quote:
I'm gonna have to say with my KW's I can take a 360 on/off ramp pretty hard without breaking the backend loose. Probably 255's in the front and 295's in the rear helps. I can probably see the need to upgrade the rear swaybar but as is mine's fine.
How's the ride? I have a 550i with damp
So far I have status group springs and it's floating lol
      08-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iN63tu View Post
i sit pretty low and with the wider tires probably why i can hit the ramps pretty hard. the ride is GREAT! i'll be looking to add sways come next SpringTime! Can't go wrong with KW's!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #28
550iN63tu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Kw

Quote:
Quote:
i sit pretty low and with the wider tires probably why i can hit the ramps pretty hard. the ride is GREAT! i'll be looking to add sways come next SpringTime! Can't go wrong with KW's!
Quote:
Quote:
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
V2??
      09-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
V2??
V1's. i don't track so no need for dampening controls for me. bought these from a forum member for a ridiculous price!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0