2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N20 seized engine - Oil pressure error threw. Car shut down 1 minute later
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #45
nos4seasons
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
N20's are garbage engines, yours did what N20's do. I beg and plead with my N20 clients to come in every 7500mi for an oil service, so many of them drink the 10, 12, 15k BMW oil service koolaid and I've seen 3 total engine failures in the last 2 years. The N20 also uses a ridiculously obscure 0w20 LLFE14++ oil that chain oil change places don't have, don't care to have, and aren't putting in the engine.

I must admit I'm always amused when someone asks why there isn't an emergency shutdown feature on these cars incase there is a major failure. That feature is positioned behind the wheel :-)

It is normal for the transmission to not go into neutral when the engine isn't running. The 8HP automatics have a pressure reservoir that must be primed to allow gear selection. This reservoir is what allows auto start stop to function, but you only get one hit out of it. When the engine stops while road speed is detected it dumps its charge as a parting gift so you can hopefully coast to a place you can secure the vehicle.

It sounds like your situation turned out as well as it could all things considered.
Yes. Driver is the emergency shut down mechanism. Good thing I pulled over when I could safely, although it didn't do me any good.

So though, what you're saying is: change the oil a lot sooner, and BMW has these long intervals to eventually tank engines and benefit from the replacement cost. Are you a tech?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #46
TZ
Private First Class
12
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Yes, he is a knowledgeable BMW tech
__________________
2011 535i xDrive Black/Black
Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
BigKutta
Captain
BigKutta's Avatar
94
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
N20's are garbage engines, yours did what N20's do. I beg and plead with my N20 clients to come in every 7500mi for an oil service, so many of them drink the 10, 12, 15k BMW oil service koolaid and I've seen 3 total engine failures in the last 2 years. The N20 also uses a ridiculously obscure 0w20 LLFE14++ oil that chain oil change places don't have, don't care to have, and aren't putting in the engine.

I must admit I'm always amused when someone asks why there isn't an emergency shutdown feature on these cars incase there is a major failure. That feature is positioned behind the wheel :-)

It is normal for the transmission to not go into neutral when the engine isn't running. The 8HP automatics have a pressure reservoir that must be primed to allow gear selection. This reservoir is what allows auto start stop to function, but you only get one hit out of it. When the engine stops while road speed is detected it dumps its charge as a parting gift so you can hopefully coast to a place you can secure the vehicle.

It sounds like your situation turned out as well as it could all things considered.
Stuck - As you've seen from this thread, I suffered from the dreaded whine and BMW applied the SIB and replaced my timing chain and guides, etc., just within the extended warranty. I agree with you that the N20 is a garbage engine, both from a performance and reliability standpoint, but we are stuck with it. For owners like me, whose F10 has been otherwise flawless and would like to keep for a long time, what do you suggest we do? Do you think this engine is ok once the issue of the guides has been corrected? More frequent oil changes? With 0W20? I've always gotten BMW or a BMW indy to change oil, but I'm not sure its 0W20. What else can we do? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #48
Imbohori
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i 2013
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Boca Raton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hopefully you are within 7 years and 70k miles from your purchase. Sounds like a timing chain and guide failure. BMW extended the coverage for this to 7yrs/70k and will replace the timing chain and plastic guides, and perhaps the engine if its toast. How many years/miles on yours?

Btw, I just got mine replaced just under warranty by a few days. Mine didn't blow up like yours, but I heard the whine that let me to believe this was the issue.
Ahw man. 74K miles.
It's crazy to me how this timing chain fails exactly after the extended warranty... my 528i 2013 was just in BMW with this issue, I'm lucky it did not destroy my engine...yet.... but am in talks with BMW.

My car is at 78k

Shocker right

There is a class action lawsuit I spoke with one of the lawyers heading the operation.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #49
nos4seasons
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hopefully you are within 7 years and 70k miles from your purchase. Sounds like a timing chain and guide failure. BMW extended the coverage for this to 7yrs/70k and will replace the timing chain and plastic guides, and perhaps the engine if its toast. How many years/miles on yours?

Btw, I just got mine replaced just under warranty by a few days. Mine didn't blow up like yours, but I heard the whine that let me to believe this was the issue.
Ahw man. 74K miles.
It's crazy to me how this timing chain fails exactly after the extended warranty... my 528i 2013 was just in BMW with this issue, I'm lucky it did not destroy my engine...yet.... but am in talks with BMW.

My car is at 78k

Shocker right

There is a class action lawsuit I spoke with one of the lawyers heading the operation.
Awh man. Yep. Interesting timing. Hmmm. But yes, I would follow my exact protocol which I laid out here, and then MAKE SURE you convince someone at your dealership to advocate you. Get the "service manager" involved. Ultimately, he or she is the only one that can get corporate to help.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #50
Imbohori
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i 2013
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Boca Raton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hopefully you are within 7 years and 70k miles from your purchase. Sounds like a timing chain and guide failure. BMW extended the coverage for this to 7yrs/70k and will replace the timing chain and plastic guides, and perhaps the engine if its toast. How many years/miles on yours?

Btw, I just got mine replaced just under warranty by a few days. Mine didn't blow up like yours, but I heard the whine that let me to believe this was the issue.
Ahw man. 74K miles.
It's crazy to me how this timing chain fails exactly after the extended warranty... my 528i 2013 was just in BMW with this issue, I'm lucky it did not destroy my engine...yet.... but am in talks with BMW.

My car is at 78k

Shocker right

There is a class action lawsuit I spoke with one of the lawyers heading the operation.
Awh man. Yep. Interesting timing. Hmmm. But yes, I would follow my exact protocol which I laid out here, and then MAKE SURE you convince someone at your dealership to advocate you. Get the "service manager" involved. Ultimately, he or she is the only one that can get corporate to help.
Yes sir I will take a read.

Thank you 🙏🏽
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #51
nos4seasons
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4seasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Hopefully you are within 7 years and 70k miles from your purchase. Sounds like a timing chain and guide failure. BMW extended the coverage for this to 7yrs/70k and will replace the timing chain and plastic guides, and perhaps the engine if its toast. How many years/miles on yours?

Btw, I just got mine replaced just under warranty by a few days. Mine didn't blow up like yours, but I heard the whine that let me to believe this was the issue.
Ahw man. 74K miles.
It's crazy to me how this timing chain fails exactly after the extended warranty... my 528i 2013 was just in BMW with this issue, I'm lucky it did not destroy my engine...yet.... but am in talks with BMW.

My car is at 78k

Shocker right

There is a class action lawsuit I spoke with one of the lawyers heading the operation.
Awh man. Yep. Interesting timing. Hmmm. But yes, I would follow my exact protocol which I laid out here, and then MAKE SURE you convince someone at your dealership to advocate you. Get the "service manager" involved. Ultimately, he or she is the only one that can get corporate to help.
Yes sir I will take a read.

Thank you 🙏🏽
You got it! Keep us posted.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #52
BigKutta
Captain
BigKutta's Avatar
94
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
It's crazy to me how this timing chain fails exactly after the extended warranty... my 528i 2013 was just in BMW with this issue, I'm lucky it did not destroy my engine...yet.... but am in talks with BMW.

My car is at 78k

Shocker right

There is a class action lawsuit I spoke with one of the lawyers heading the operation.
What were your symptoms? What happened?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #53
Imbohori
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 528i 2013
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Boca Raton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What were your symptoms? What happened?
Car was serviced at multiple BMW Dealerships since I purchased the car.
Took care of everything BMW told me.
Car drove amazing all the time.
Just took a cross country trip with my father last Summer from New Mexico to Miami.

Brought it in in November 2018, spent $2000 on what BMW suggested I complete

Then, rough idle started in January 2019, family members told me to bring it in.

Brought in in because I picked up a nail (AS USUAL with me) bought two new Run Flat tires and had alignment and then the SA said, btw there's about $6000 worth of work that needs to be done on the engine...

Complete surprise to me...Nothing ever seemed wrong until it started vibrating. No warning lights, no error messages, just great performance like I always expected from a 5 Series.

Currently in talks with Service Manager and BMW Customer Relations.

My car issue is Timing Chain, Engine Oil Housing and Engine Mounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #54
BigKutta
Captain
BigKutta's Avatar
94
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbohori View Post
Car was serviced at multiple BMW Dealerships since I purchased the car.
Took care of everything BMW told me.
Car drove amazing all the time.
Just took a cross country trip with my father last Summer from New Mexico to Miami.

Brought it in in November 2018, spent $2000 on what BMW suggested I complete

Then, rough idle started in January 2019, family members told me to bring it in.

Brought in in because I picked up a nail (AS USUAL with me) bought two new Run Flat tires and had alignment and then the SA said, btw there's about $6000 worth of work that needs to be done on the engine...

Complete surprise to me...Nothing ever seemed wrong until it started vibrating. No warning lights, no error messages, just great performance like I always expected from a 5 Series.

Currently in talks with Service Manager and BMW Customer Relations.

My car issue is Timing Chain, Engine Oil Housing and Engine Mounts.
That's interesting. I'm not sure if your issue is the same as mine where the time chain guides are failing, for which BMW extended the warranty to 7/70. The early signs of this failure are an unusual whine when accelerating until the guides break and possibly destroy the engine. If the sound is caught early enough (thanks to this board I was able to detect the sound), then timing chain and guides are replaced. Maybe in your case its something else. But still, sucks that this engine a piece of shit, especially because I enjoy this car so much otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #55
concordealex
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 528i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Birmingham AL

iTrader: (0)

I know that my engine will probably disintegrate tomorrow as soon as I post this, but I do want to say that my experience with the N20 has been overwhelmingly positive. Build date of 12/2013 and the car was started on a 5w30 valvoline synthetic and switched at around 75k miles to 5w40 synthetic coupled with mann filters. The car is now at 96k miles and does not use a drop of oil and feels like it did the day it was bought.

What is likely the source of people's problems are the 10k mile oil change intervals, as I have run 5k mile ones instead, as the 10k recommendation is just so BMW will have to do fewer free services during the warranty period. Also of critical importance is to avoid the use of the auto start/stop system, as this puts tremendous stress on the engine. Consider how once a motor stops running, all of the oil drains back into the pan, regardless of what BMW may tell you. Running through the startup procedure dozens of times in a drive is a recipe for disaster, as your motor is basically running without oil for a good bit of that time.

Meanwhile, after driving many 6-cylinder BMWs of olden days, I have determined the N20 to be one of the finest motors BMW has offered. The low revs and silent performance, as well as fuel economy (26.8 mpg in mixed driving) is a winning combo for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #56
KozikexF10
Registered
KozikexF10's Avatar
Poland
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW528iX-Drive F10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Poland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by concordealex View Post
I know that my engine will probably disintegrate tomorrow as soon as I post this, but I do want to say that my experience with the N20 has been overwhelmingly positive. Build date of 12/2013 and the car was started on a 5w30 valvoline synthetic and switched at around 75k miles to 5w40 synthetic coupled with mann filters. The car is now at 96k miles and does not use a drop of oil and feels like it did the day it was bought.

What is likely the source of people's problems are the 10k mile oil change intervals, as I have run 5k mile ones instead, as the 10k recommendation is just so BMW will have to do fewer free services during the warranty period. Also of critical importance is to avoid the use of the auto start/stop system, as this puts tremendous stress on the engine. Consider how once a motor stops running, all of the oil drains back into the pan, regardless of what BMW may tell you. Running through the startup procedure dozens of times in a drive is a recipe for disaster, as your motor is basically running without oil for a good bit of that time.

Meanwhile, after driving many 6-cylinder BMWs of olden days, I have determined the N20 to be one of the finest motors BMW has offered. The low revs and silent performance, as well as fuel economy (26.8 mpg in mixed driving) is a winning combo for me.
Hi , so You suggest to kill this" auto-stop-start system "using a Bimmercode app permanently ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST