2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i N63 HPFP issues

04-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
dshif1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

550i N63 HPFP issues

Hey everyone,

Writing this post in hopes someone can provide some assurance or insight on the issue i've been having the past 2 weeks. Below is a much shortened back story.

2012 550i M-Sport w/68k miles

About 1,000 miles ago I learned about the Customer Care Package and decided to bring the car in as more or a preventative care. The car was not experiencing any noticeable issues except the occasional "Drive train Malfunction" upon cold starts after sitting all night. After leaving the Customer Care Package, I received 2 MAF sensors, vacuum pump and all new crankcase ventilation lines.

Fast forward to about 4 weeks later... i'm driving the car and all of a sudden there's a huge loss of power, the idle is jumping rapidly, it was misfiring out of the intake it seemed, bucking forward and the car is throwing 5-6 misfires codes along with P0171 (Lean bank 1). I immediately shut the car down and have it towed to my house. I first decided to change all the spark plugs and coils packs to rule that out. Considering the cars mileage. No luck. A few days later, I'm searching for vacuum leaks on bank 1 and I randomly bump the crankcase ventilation line right off the intake manifold. It was as if it was just sitting on top but was not vacuum sealed. BOOM thought I found the massive vacuum leak I was searching for!

After about 2 hours of toying with it, I was unable to get the crankcase hose to secure tightly on the manifold so I decided it was time to call the dealership and have them do it. since this is a part they replaced 4 weeks prior, there was no cost to me. They sent a tow truck, replaced the hose fitting, agreed it was their mistake and then proceeded to tell me the car was still misfiring and that they want $156 to diagnose it.

After much arguing, they agreed to diagnose it for free and came back with a bad HPFP on bank 1. They see low pressure, still causing a lean code and misfiring across multiple cylinders. Now I do understand that these cars are prone to HPFP issues (especially at 68k miles) but my first instinct is to argue that this has to be related to the massive vacuum leak I was experiencing because of a mistake they THEY made just last month.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if the car had a vacuum leak, wouldn't it start dumping more fuel to help counteract the excess air? I've read that the car can push 25% more fuel to help protect the motor in these scenarios.

After going back and forth with the dealer, they're claiming this is in no way shape or form related to the vacuum leak THEY caused and that it just so happens that it went bad at the same exact time, which is very hard for me to understand. They want $2100 from me to replace the high pressure fuel pump.

The codes currently are P142E, P0087, P15DF and a few misfire codes. The car idle is not jumping at all anymore but is clearly still misfiring. It seems the misfires occur harder when the RPM's are lower. If I control the gearing and keep them above 2.5k, they seem to go away. If it is indeed to HPFP, could this in any way be related to the vacuum leak?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's been an extremely stressful and frustrating 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

funny that you just post this today. I also received a limited warranty letter on HPFP today. It is now 10/120k warranty. Mine is 2013 N63. You might want to reach out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
dshif1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohsin View Post
funny that you just post this today. I also received a limited warranty letter on HPFP today. It is now 10/120k warranty. Mine is 2013 N63. You might want to reach out.
Wow that would be nice to go back to the dealership with. Do you happen to have anything I can use as a resource? Unfortunately I haven’t received or heard of such letter detailing a warranty for the HPFP on my 2012 n63. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      04-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

You can call 800-831-1117. That's the contact number from the letter. If you need the actual letter, I can probably send you a picture. I am not able to upload on this site.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
dshif1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You can call 800-831-1117. That's the contact number from the letter. If you need the actual letter, I can probably send you a picture. I am not able to upload on this site.
I’ll try that number tomorrow and yeah if you could send me a picture of the letter that would be awesome too. 321-696-fourninefoursix. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Quote:
Received the same letter. 2013 N63 also.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
dshif1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Received the same letter. 2013 N63 also.
Called Bmw NA today and they’re saying my car is not eligible for any of the extended warranties. Not sure what else I can do at this point unless I have something to go back with. Unfortunately haven’t received anything from Bmw and looks like I may not.

Production date November 2011.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Got the BMW warranty letter today. Mine is a 2013 550i.

Says 120k miles and 10 years on the fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
BD550I
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport - Space Gray

2 hpfp, and 1 injector later

I have now had two high pressure fuel pumps replaced on my 550i. It was not recalled but covered under their extended high pressure fuel pump 10 year warranty. Both times the pump failed under acceleration onto a highway and could have ended very badly. In the end, replacing the fuel pump did not solve the problem that it can fail randomly again.

In regards to the customer care package, when i had a falling injector, i have had two dealers deny that it is an actual package issued by BMW. They did finally agree to cover half of the parts and labor, but it was a struggle and still 750 per injector.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
Skripter2k
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD550I View Post
I have now had two high pressure fuel pumps replaced on my 550i. It was not recalled but covered under their extended high pressure fuel pump 10 year warranty. Both times the pump failed under acceleration onto a highway and could have ended very badly. In the end, replacing the fuel pump did not solve the problem that it can fail randomly again.

In regards to the customer care package, when i had a falling injector, i have had two dealers deny that it is an actual package issued by BMW. They did finally agree to cover half of the parts and labor, but it was a struggle and still 750 per injector.

Literally the exact experience I had but I had been in warranty and not having to pay anything under extended coverage.

I tried to get onto the highway by accelerating and had the drive train error.
2HPFP later and it seems fine. The first replacement died less than 1500k miles at about 42K miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

It must be epedimic because my HPFP fuel pump failed on my 2011 3weeks ago. I didn't reach out to BMW because I know what rejection is like already haha. But it's getting replaced at an Indie at the moment. Can't believe these fuel pumps are so dramatic in failure mode...WoW.
      10-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #12
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

It sucks for those of us not covered under the warranty.

However $2100 is highway robbery.

Order the pump on ECS tuning for less than $100. Disconnect the fuel pump fuse, run the car a couple times until it stalls to depressurize the system and remove most of the fuel out of the lines, remove the intake on the affected side, put a towel over the pump when removing the fuel lines to prevent any spray of fuel that may be leftover, remove the two allen bolts and pump, install the new pump in reverse the order. Took me less than 30 minutes and less than $100.

Update:
Just checked ECS and seems they raised the price of the pumps back up to $280 range from when they had it at $90. Still, beats the stealership prices.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #13
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post

Order the pump on ECS tuning for less than $100. Disconnect the fuel pump fuse, run the car a couple times until it stalls to depressurize the system and remove most of the fuel out of the lines, remove the intake on the affected side, put a towel over the pump when removing the fuel lines to prevent any spray of fuel that may be leftover, remove the two allen bolts and pump, install the new pump in reverse the order. Took me less than 30 minutes and less than $100.

Update:
Just checked ECS and seems they raised the price of the pumps back up to $280 range from when they had it at $90. Still, beats the stealership prices.
Is it seriously this easy? Got a call from my Indie and he says "there's nothing wrong with the car" and I know that to not be TRUE because it's stranded me 3x and the fuel pump is CLEARLY what's wrong. Thinking I'm gna go this route of replacement just to have piece of mind.
      10-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:

Update:

Did you have to replace the hpfp harness? Did you have to get a new cam follower for the hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Did you have to replace the hpfp harness? Did you have to get a new cam follower for the hpfp?
Nope, when I removed the pump the cam wasn't in the way. Simple unbolt and replace.

From what I understand, sometimes it may be. But BMW tech from the N63 facebook group says when that happens, just slowly "walk" the pump on by alternating the tightening of the two bolts until its tightened to spec.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #16
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Nope, when I removed the pump the cam wasn't in the way. Simple unbolt and replace.

From what I understand, sometimes it may be. But BMW tech from the N63 facebook group says when that happens, just slowly "walk" the pump on by alternating the tightening of the two bolts until its tightened to spec.
SLVSRFR,
How did you know the HPFP was bad? Did you replace yours? Im having an issue with a freinds n63 car and we're getting p0087 and p15DF which says it could be hpfp, fuel pressure sensor or intank pumps. Is there a process you used to find out it was the HPFP? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty sure its the hpfp but want to be sure before we buy them and do the work. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Quote:

SLVSRFR,
How did you know the HPFP was bad? Did you replace yours? Im having an issue with a freinds n63 car and we're getting p0087 and p15DF which says it could be hpfp, fuel pressure sensor or intank pumps. Is there a process you used to find out it was the HPFP? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty sure its the hpfp but want to be sure before we buy them and do the work. Thanks
I replaced mine because they were rattling more than normal. More as a preventative measure since they're known to fail.

Is the car having multiple misfires on that bank? Do you have access to Rheingold/ISTA for more in depth codes/diagnostic test plans. The in tank fuel pump has a recall on it so you can do that first as a process of elimination or swap the HPFP from one bank to another to see if the problem follows.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I replaced mine because they were rattling more than normal. More as a preventative measure since they're known to fail.

Is the car having multiple misfires on that bank? Do you have access to Rheingold/ISTA for more in depth codes/diagnostic test plans. The in tank fuel pump has a recall on it so you can do that first as a process of elimination or swap the HPFP from one bank to another to see if the problem follows.
The car is a 2012 750li (same engine) and not covered under any fuel pump recalls. The car hesitates in start up and runs but has no power no misfires, I don't have access to Rheingod/ista Im using the torque app. I checked the fuel pressure at idle its around 75-85 psi and compared to my car at 720psi it's looking like HPFP. Do I need software to change them or just swap them out with new and just run the engine to prime. Is there a port to check the in tank pump with a fuel pressure gauge before the HPFP? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
The car is a 2012 750li (same engine) and not covered under any fuel pump recalls. The car hesitates in start up and runs but has no power no misfires, I don't have access to Rheingod/ista Im using the torque app. I checked the fuel pressure at idle its around 75-85 psi and compared to my car at 720psi it's looking like HPFP. Do I need software to change them or just swap them out with new and just run the engine to prime. Is there a port to check the in tank pump with a fuel pressure gauge before the HPFP? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
No misfires? It COULD be the HPFP but I would be hesitant to throw money at the HPFP with just those justifications. The main symptoms with a bad HPFP is misfires across the whole respective bank. I would try to get access to rheingold or ISTA to see what actual codes are being thrown. That will lead you in a better direction.

Is/Are the pump(s) on? They give a metallic rattling sound, this would rule the harness out.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
Rmv42158
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:

Update:
Thx is for this.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Rail pressure is good. I dont think its the in tank pumps. But it might be the hpfp on bank 1 passenger side
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
No misfires? It COULD be the HPFP but I would be hesitant to throw money at the HPFP with just those justifications. The main symptoms with a bad HPFP is misfires across the whole respective bank. I would try to get access to rheingold or ISTA to see what actual codes are being thrown. That will lead you in a better direction.

Is/Are the pump(s) on? They give a metallic rattling sound, this would rule the harness out.
Im going to have a local guy who has the profesional scanners look at it. Ill report back after we find out the problem and what we did to fix it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0