2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Those with coilovers: related questions

05-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #24
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

This is what I'm referring to
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #25
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Ah yes. I read that in the trouble shooting section for the BC Coilovers. I don't think of that as pre-load in the same way you actually PRE LOAD your springs in the video I shared.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #26
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Ah yes. I read that in the trouble shooting section for the BC Coilovers. I don't think of that as pre-load in the same way you actually PRE LOAD your springs in the video I shared.
Thx - yeah this is what I think about when someone says pre-load. Everyone does this after installing coilovers? This is my second car with coilovers and just use it as it comes from the manufacturer. I'm guessing it's probably within the ball park of being ok, but am going to look into doing this if it helps unlock better ride/performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #27
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Thx - yeah this is what I think about when someone says pre-load. Everyone does this after installing coilovers? This is my second car with coilovers and just use it as it comes from the manufacturer. I'm guessing it's probably within the ball park of being ok, but am going to look into doing this if it helps unlock better ride/performance.
Wait, you said: Everyone does this - which one?

Control Arm preload: I didn't remove the control arm so I didn't need to tighten it to spec at stock ride height or under load. And the reason that is mentioned in the BC trouble shooting is in case you are hearing noises and you happen to have loosen some components.

Spring Preload: BC Fronts come set with preload - so you normally don't have to set them. And remember, pre load doesn't change spring rates so you might not notice a difference in ride. But it helps reduce noise by keeping things tight and not rattling around. If you think about it, by the time you get the whole weight of the car on the spring, you are normally compressed MORE than the 4mm of preload you put on it... but beware you can do TOO much preload for sure and then that will affect things.

Now for the rears... because you have to use parts from the stock set up (at least on the BC's) I did have to set preload on those.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #28
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
Wait, you said: Everyone does this - which one?

Control Arm preload: I didn't remove the control arm so I didn't need to tighten it to spec at stock ride height or under load. And the reason that is mentioned in the BC trouble shooting is in case you are hearing noises and you happen to have loosen some components.

Spring Preload: BC Fronts come set with preload - so you normally don't have to set them. And remember, pre load doesn't change spring rates so you might not notice a difference in ride. But it helps reduce noise by keeping things tight and not rattling around. If you think about it, by the time you get the whole weight of the car on the spring, you are normally compressed MORE than the 4mm of preload you put on it... but beware you can do TOO much preload for sure and then that will affect things.

Now for the rears... because you have to use parts from the stock set up (at least on the BC's) I did have to set preload on those.
I see ok. I was talking about the spring preload. Yeah fronts probably came loaded with my Megan's too, and installer probably did the rears. So likely good as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #29
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
If you're going through the effort, I would recommend you reset the preload on all your bushings at the new ride height.

My drop is a little more extreme than yours (probably around 3.5") but I already have some rear bushings that are starting to tear due to me never reseting the preload of them at this new height. For context, I've only put about 10-15k km on the car since the coilovers have been installed
Not sure what you mean. I took everything apart and fastened everything requiring "normal position" at the "new normal position" by compressing the suspension with a jack until the car just started to lift off of the quickjack. I did not measure normal position like TIS says. I took a quick measurement with a tape measure while doing the job to sanity check what I was seeing and I think it was in the 340-350mm range. (if anything a little too low I suppose - I thought it was going to come out at 340mm).

EDIT: I see you clarified after your first post. I did remove the front upper wishbones as part of my install and I think the entire front end was put together with proper normal position. I may be missing a position or two at the rear though....
Appreciate 0